SSD + Memory Help

Hi I didn't know where else to post this-- but I was looking for advice on which SSD and Memory to get.

For the SSD I am wanting one that is about 240GB. The first priority is something that will last a long time. Second priority is speed. Third is customer support (hopefully I'll never have to deal with them haha)

As of right now my top choice has been http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226226

what do you think?

For memory, I was wondering if it is worth it to get 1866, 2133, or higher speed memory vs the 1600mhz. I do not game- mostly just multi tasking and some 3D simulation. Getting 16GB (2x 8GB DIMM) right now-- eventually upgrade to 32GB.

Price is a factor: I am trying to stay around $200 or less for the SSD and $130 or less for the memory.
My build is including z77 mobo with 3770K

Thank you in advance!

for SSD reliability names that come up often are Intel, Samsung and the Crucial M4.

For memory just get DDR3 1600. Higher speeds are only noticeable in benchmarks (generally).

For the SSD I am wanting one that is about 240GB. The first priority is something that will last a long time. Second priority is speed. Third is customer support (hopefully I'll never have to deal with them haha)
Look at the Samsung 830, Intel 520, Crucial m4, Plextor M3, or Corsair Performance Pro series SSDs if you want a reliable and fast SSD. I wouldn't bother with the Mushkin

For memory, I was wondering if it is worth it to get 1866, 2133, or higher speed memory vs the 1600mhz.
Nope. Not unless you're running synthetic benchmarks all day.

I do not game- mostly just multi tasking and some 3D simulation. Getting 16GB (2x 8GB DIMM) right now-- eventually upgrade to 32GB.
Do you have Windows 7 Pro?

no i dont have pro.. will it not be able to utilize it otherwise?

Windows 7 Home Premium has a 16GB limit on RAM. It's a software limit and no way to get around it without upgrading to at least Windows 7 Professional.

Also make sure that whatever RAM you're getting is rated at 1.5V or lower. Any higher and you risk damage to the CPU.

Gotcha. What do you think about this corsair set? Is it a good deal w/ the extra 10% off?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233246
another option is gskillz
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231489
seemed to get slightly better reviews/looks kinda cooler

Also... I've never heard of these memory fans before but newegg offered me a combo deal which took $7 off of them. Is it at all worth it? or should I just forget about it..

thanks again, Danny, I really appreciate all your advice.

Memory fans are useless.

Both those RAM kits are decent, but not really a "good deal". For one thing, there is no reason not to get 4x4GB kits (which should be cheaper) since you can't go past 16GB for your system anyways (unless you are planning to upgrade to win7 Pro?). If the price is the same, then it makes 0 difference.

For another, those memory kits have quite large heatsinks that can get in the way of aftermarket CPU coolers (I have no Idea what you are using, but if it is a big heatsink it could definitely conflict with those sticks of RAM).

What is really important is, as Danny said, 1.5V. Then just buy based on aesthetics/price, and make sure the heatsinks will fit :)

I'm planning on getting pro soon and wanted the option to upgrade in the future since i plan on having the machine a few years. I bought a hyper 212+ for the CPU cooler.. Which ram would not cause problems in terms of fit?

Thanks

Have you put your CPU in your motherboard and tried installing the cooler? That should let you see if tall RAM will be an issue or not. In some setups, a cooler like that 212+ will protrude over the RAM slots and you will need low-profile RAM (which is no sacrifice whatsoever except looks).

Yeah, if you are gonna upgrade to PRO in the future then there isn't really a reason not to go 2x8GB so might as well.

Awesome. I just ordered the ones that you recommended. What do you think about this SSD? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233268#top

Is there a better model or do you think prices will go much lower? I have until the end of the week to order.!

Not a good choice. As I said earlier: "Look at the Samsung 830, Intel 520, Crucial m4, Plextor M3, or Corsair Performance Pro series SSDs if you want a reliable and fast SSD". So yes there are better models

The 256 GB Samsung 830 is on sale at Newegg today for $190. Details are here.

haha yeah i just picked one of those up! sweet deal. thanks everyone for all the advice! it definitely helped me out!

i ended up going with the gskills 1600mhz ram 16gb (2 x 8gb) - $89.99
samsung 830 256GB SSD - $189.99

Back