SSD life dropping fast

I wouldn't worry about a 5% drop in performance. It could correlate with you losing that spare flash memory (the less spare you have, the lower the write performance).

Also, running a benchmark on an SSD all the time is not good for it (they're not just testing reads there!)

If your drive still feels just as fast as it always did in daily use, there's nothing more here to complain about? I wouldn't get so fixated in a small falloff in a benchmark score; this isn't a video card we're testing here (write testing in-excess can be destructive):

Last edited:
I wouldn't worry about a 5% drop in performance. It could correlate with you losing that spare flash memory (the less spare you have, the lower the write performance).

Also, running a benchmark on an SSD all the time is not good for it (they're not just testing reads there!)

If your drive still feels just as fast as it always did in daily use, there's nothing more here to complain about? I wouldn't get so fixated in a small falloff in a benchmark score; this isn't a video card we're testing here (write testing in-excess can be destructive):

well, its more like 7% performance lost (yeah, yeah, sorry, i know, im pity when it comes to that with my ocd), but i agree

i wish i knew it before, about benchmarks! sadly i learned it only about few months ago
i was testing different drivers, and whatnot, run it probably 50 times in total at least. maybe more. sigh

and im kinda come to terms with it, yeah
still probably will try and reinstall firmware if possible, one last thing, just to see if it will get things back to normal
nothing else could be done i guess

and thanks everybody, it put my mind at rest

i would not be to worried about it (its when you get spare area gets low it can be a problem or you get actual (in toshiba ssd case) SMART "Media and Data Intectiery Errors" has errors logged or Available Spare % is dropping closer to 0% (its % on that one)

also the % left is based on the what the drive is actually reporting (samsung pro ssd post) its a MLC the drive will probably last longer than 10-30 years (baring an actual fault with the SSD) you can write over 2-5PB of data on to them and they still be happy

in diskinfo click on function > adv function > raw > 10 [DEC] (first time open its set to hex, witch does not give you numbers just hex that you have to convert) once it's set to Decimal it will remember until diskinfo is installed again

2020-05-12 (1).png

my "Number of Error Information Log Entries" is due to high heat and probably the unsafe shutdowns (but no Critical warnings or Data Errors)

some say the numbers are pointless (seagate mostly i agree as some fields change up and down, but important boxes like relocation events are increments of 1s) but in "HDD Sentinel" these numbers match up (right click "show decimal fields" with diskinfo (i have always used Decimal)

mine above is dell branded (i made sure it was as XG3 is a OEM only so i wont get any firmware if its a stock XG3) i think the DU7 part is what makes it dell branded in my case (don't expect any firmware updates from HP if it is branded by them)

Last edited:
well, i guess mine has 100 spare available still
and 0 errors still (woohoo)

honestly, have no idea how to check who my SSD is branded by, it just says Toshiba everywhere, never seen HP or Dell anywhere on it
the exact name "KXG60ZNV512G" matches up with Dell website, but thats pretty much it. and pc doesnt want to install their firmware
Untitled-2.png

and true about HP, i remember it took them several months to update all drivers to 1909 windows after it came out, even though all 1903 worked fine but didnt want to install because of a version check

It's in the name: Kioxia XG6.
hmm? yes?
ive been to thier website, they dont have any firmware available for download

the proclaimed read/write speeds for this one are up to 3,100 MB/s and 2,800 MB/s, so its my read what is definitely lower right now
https://business.kioxia.com/en-us/ssd/client-ssd/xg6.html

the closest (or any) thing that has firmware for KXG60ZNV512G is Dell website
im not so tech savvy, cant really understand what you trying to hint Maxx

Have you tried running the Dell installer with admin privileges?
yeah man, always fails
there is a long log file
i think important bit is:
"Failed : 'No devices found'"
i should be able to start installation while windows running from the same ssd, right??

hmm, so it will work just fine until last percentage?? (or close to?)
if thats the case, i guess i shouldnt worry, i never expected it work beyond that
but performance still drops... or at least dropped

temped to try and install the firmware update, dell released, should i?
i found this topic where a guy seemed to have it installed on non dell machine and it went fine:
https://forums.servethehome.com/ind...cting-firmware-from-a-dell-update-file.26528/

It will work fine till after 0% too, its a predictable failure time, doesn't mean it will fail at that time.

Did you see this one that fixes the issue where the drive isn't recognized, looks like it was just updated yesterday: https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=7ry97
hmm, yeah, it seems that i actually already downloaded and tried this one, to recheck after your post about admin privileges
it gives that same mistake. and if i remember correctly, every previous version was giving the same mistake and also had "fixed the issue where drive is not recognized" in the description, weird
It will work fine till after 0% too, its a predictable failure time, doesn't mean it will fail at that time.
yeah man, thanks, many people mentioned that, so im not much worried about that anymore thankfully

Just a word of caution on this assumption. Some drives have firmware that will alter the drive's ability to function normally once the drive exceeds its rated lifetime writes. It is true that most drives will continue to operate normally well past their rated lifetime writes. Just to be sure that's the case, the user needs to do some research on their particular drive.

Personally, I'd choose to either retire a drive or switch it to a task of lesser importance, like games drive, once the rated write limit is reached. At that point you are without a warranty and the drive is at an elevated risk of failing without warning.

under normal use that should not be a problem i have yet to have a ssd get past 80%

genadiyrool

You're probably not going to get a Dell installer to run on your HP laptop. The installers are normally linked to specific hardware ID's for this very reason that you don't want to put a Dell firmware on an HP part.

Also, don't bother trying to compare your writes/endurance to other SSD's and think it's bettter or worse without also looking at the type of flash being used. Normally OEM provided drives are pretty poor performance all around unless you are going with high end and expensive stuff.

I don't know what specific model you have, but HP Omen 15 older models have firmware updates available for XG5 drives. What's your specific model #? Have you checked the HP support site?

Just a word of caution on this assumption. Some drives have firmware that will alter the drive's ability to function normally once the drive exceeds its rated lifetime writes. It is true that most drives will continue to operate normally well past their rated lifetime writes. Just to be sure that's the case, the user needs to do some research on their particular drive.

Personally, I'd choose to either retire a drive or switch it to a task of lesser importance, like games drive, once the rated write limit is reached. At that point you are without a warranty and the drive is at an elevated risk of failing without warning.

hmm, ok, interesting info.
well, im pretty sure i will not keep this drive by the time it reaches 0%
my worry was that its performance is also dropping with reducing %, but it seems that even if its linked, its only natural, and nothing can be done..
and also i thought maybe it will lose available space or something with reducing %, or will fail way before it reaches 0%, but most of the people say it will work even past that (and even if not, 100 months are more than enough, yes)

under normal use that should not be a problem i have yet to have a ssd get past 80%

yeah, i just saw that most of the people on the internet have their ssd working for several years, more TB written, and have their % higher than mine
but i guess its XG6 manufacturer projected lifespan, its just shorter than the ones i saw

genadiyrool

You're probably not going to get a Dell installer to run on your HP laptop. The installers are normally linked to specific hardware ID's for this very reason that you don't want to put a Dell firmware on an HP part.

Also, don't bother trying to compare your writes/endurance to other SSD's and think it's bettter or worse without also looking at the type of flash being used. Normally OEM provided drives are pretty poor performance all around unless you are going with high end and expensive stuff.

I don't know what specific model you have, but HP Omen 15 older models have firmware updates available for XG5 drives. What's your specific model #? Have you checked the HP support site?

yes, i saw that XG5 update, sadly no XG6 updates
i visited pretty much all HP, Toshiba Kioxia websites, nothing
i wasnt really worried about performance as if its enough or not, its enough for me, i was basically just worried that it dropped by about 7% seemingly without reason and never came back

and actually Kioxia finally responded to my email, basically saying there is no firmware install available
so i guess thats that

Back