• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SSD help a noob out

prelag

Weaksauce
Joined
Dec 1, 2007
Messages
77
OK guys, I just got back stateside, and I've been out of the loop for a while.

Can someone answer a few basic questions I have on SSD's?

1. My brother is a software engineer, and they recently switched to SSD's. They all failed (5 total) within one year. Can someone explain the me why they fail so quickly? I'm sure the company was partly to blame, as they were not configured correctly (my brother mentioned cache and paging I believe, but don't hold me to it) from the get go, but even since the tweaks, they have continued to have drive failures with SSD's.

2. Do most people just run their OS on these? I'm not a huge gamer, but I'd like to know what peoples thoughts are on separating the OS from games and other data. Is it necessary?

3. What SSD's are recommended?

Thanks, and if there is anything else you would like to add, please feel free too, as I am trying to get up to speed on these.
 
1. My brother is a software engineer, and they recently switched to SSD's. They all failed (5 total) within one year. Can someone explain the me why they fail so quickly?

Faulty design. Bad firmware. Bad SSD controller.

I'm sure the company was partly to blame, as they were not configured correctly (my brother mentioned cache and paging I believe, but don't hold me to it) from the get go, but even since the tweaks, they have continued to have drive failures with SSD's.

No. You want to keep the pagefile on the SSD. And it is highly unlikely that NAND wearout is the cause. Remember that Intel specifies that you can write 20GB of data to their SSDs every single day for 5 years and the drive will still work.

3. What SSD's are recommended?

Intel. Get a 120 GB 320. Make sure you apply the latest firmware as soon as you get it.
Do most people just run their OS on these? I'm not a huge gamer, but I'd like to know what peoples thoughts are on separating the OS from games and other data. Is it necessary?

Basically you want to put OS + applications (as many as will fit) on the SSD and media (audio, video, pictures ...) on a hard drive.
 
I recommend Crucial C300 or C4 series drives aud using the for OS and programs.

Take the total OS & program space needed, double it, buy Intel or Crucial and live happily ever after.
 
Back
Top