SSD disappears/boot order changes

harsaphes

Supreme [H]ardness
Hi all. Happy fourth weekend. I've asked this or similar before but I would like to see if anyone has an answer for me. If this is in the wrong area please move.
Periodically my system will say " no boot device" or some such message. Going into the bios shows me that the boot order has changed..on its own...and the SSD is now listed as the second drive in boot order. Sometimes the SSD is not listed at all.
Any ideas why this is happening to my system. When it happens its very frustrating.
Thanks.

Could be any number of things causing the SSD to disappear from your system:
* Flaky SSD
* BAD Cable
* Dying SATA Port
* Bad PSU/Power Plug

I'd start by moving the SATA cable to another port. If you experience the same problem, try a SATA cable you know works. IF that fails, try a different lead from your PSU. If all that fails... start considering the drive to be bad (unless someone posts something I forgot).

Is that on your P5E-VM HDMI?

If so, it's a bug with the ICH9R and the fact that the option rom from Intel in the BIOS doesn't properly recognize some SSDs until you reset the PC a couple times. I had the same issue with the ICH9R in my Shuttle SP35P2.

I found someone that had been modding BIOSes for old systems with a new option ROM, and looks like you might be in luck as well:
http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/f...S-files-with-updated-Intel-ICH9-10R-RAID-ROMs

Your mobo is listed on that page, so should be as simple as just updating the BIOS. My problems were 100% fixed after I updated.

The above forum seems to be locked to me can anyone else access it looking for an updated sp35p2v2 - ich9r updated orom - bios as having all sorts of issues with ssd's and RAID ... So annoying

I had the same problem when I built my rig last year... My problem was a faulty sata cable, once I changed it out, all was fine...Cable was new, just not good.

I'm pretty sure the problem is out dated RAID OROM since my drive is detected if you manage to delay BIOS 45 seconds it's well documented for people who have ASUS motherboards with the ICH9R RAID also installed

I posted on ocz forums and got a reply with the modded firmware in which fixed my problem (well after 2 rebuilds and 20 bios flashes - turns out one of my ssd's is screwed - well it's new and it's a Kingston v200 - I should have known a new firmware wouldnt solve it's problems really)

Glad you were able to find that BIOS. I saw your PM yesterday, but I've got an SP35P2 Pro so the BIOS wouldn't have worked. I think I actually created my BIOS from the V2 BIOS posted at the OCZ forum.

I had a Crucial M4 128GB SSD that was going bad that caused this. It was one of the very first M4's but still it shouldn't have gone bad that quickly but it turns out that was the issue. I tried replacing SATA cables, power cables, and updating the firmware. Nothing worked. Once I swapped out the SSD for another, the problem went away.

I have 4 Crucial M4's at home, and only one had gone bad though.

Back