SSD cover

JediFonger

2[H]4U
hi guys,

bought a used ADATA S596 SSD 128GB recently. it came WITHOUT a cover, it looks like a memory stick. so far everything works, but i would like to find a nice housing for it.

i emailed adata, they do *NOT* sell anything that would cover it.

where do i buy a SSD cover?

in another words, it looks sorta like this:
ssd_pcb_front.jpg

i need to grab a cover for it so i can mount it inside the case so it's not just dangling.

I doubt you'll find the correct case unless you follow quakefiend420's advise.

Just get one of these.

i have a 2.5"->3.5" bracket already. looking for an enclosure for the SSD so that i can mount it, otherwise none of the screwholes match up.

i have a 2.5"->3.5" bracket already. looking for an enclosure for the SSD so that i can mount it, otherwise none of the screwholes match up.
My link is an enclosure. The SSD just sits inside.

I use the holes on the side to slide it into my Lian Li HD cages but it does have universal mounting holes for most common PC cases.

buy dead drive of same model, scavenge case, chunk the rest?

This is pretty much you're only option aside from making something yourself.

I would definitely advise working something out, NAND doesn't take kindly to static discharge.

old hippie, where do i rest the SSD chip? i don't even have a an enclosure for my SSD is what i'm sayin (see my original post). you mean there are screw holes in that enclosure to mount my bare chip?

I would get some plastic or metal spacers at Home Depot or similar and some 1/2 inch screws and attach the ssd to the bottom of your case. Assuming you have a drill that can drill small holes in your case.

2 sheets of plexiglas under and over for protection, velcro it to the outside of the hard drive chassis, and forget about it.

old hippie, where do i rest the SSD chip? i don't even have a an enclosure for my SSD is what i'm sayin (see my original post). you mean there are screw holes in that enclosure to mount my bare chip?

I'm pretty sure this will work for ya.

Go here and expand some of those pics.

The drive sits on that metal bar on the bottom of the case and when you close the top it moves forward to lock the drive into the connectors. There's also a clip on the top cover that holds the drive down so the whole drive is locked into position.........All in all pretty slick.

Because you have no case/protection on yours, I would think a coupla pieces of cardboard (MB box) laying on the top and bottom of the drive would insulate it from the metal.

It'll work and look good doing it.

well, cardboard would increase the heat wouldn't it? i think it's fine where it is, just hanging around somewhere, i don't open the case up to do anything, it's an incredibly old case.

Yes cardboard would increase the heat. This is why I suggested to get spacers and mount it to the case with screws. You do not have to cover an SSD any more than you have to cover any other chip inside the case.

Edit: Thinking of this an SSD should only use a significant amount of power when writing. So the heat issue may not be a problem.

well, cardboard would increase the heat wouldn't it?
Heat on an SSD?

I just opened my case and put my hand on my Crucial SSD and there's no heat at all.

I've used these cases on my own Intel SSDs and there's no heat.

I have one of those temp. probes here and if I can remember how to use it, I'll get a temp.

PSSS....
well, cardboard would increase the heat wouldn't it?
And what difference would there be between the cardboard and the case it normally comes with?

And what difference would there be between the cardboard and the case it normally comes with?

Cardboard is an insulator. While the case is either plastic or metal. In either case there probably is an air gap between the NAND chips and the case.

BTW, anyone know why there are many of these types of SSDs minus case being sold on eBay? Are they stolen or manufacturer engineering samples?

Cardboard is an insulator. While the case is either plastic or metal. In either case there probably is an air gap between the NAND chips and the case.

Sounds good and if were to be a problem you could just cut the cardboard to fit the metal parts that touch the SSD.

It would work and work well while looking good.

hmmm... i am not that mechanically inclined to even do that simple thing >P. as soon as i touch electronics it just catches on fire or blows up... :shifty:

hmmm... i am not that mechanically inclined to even do that simple thing >P. as soon as i touch electronics it just catches on fire or blows up... :shifty:

LOL!

Oh My! :D

I have no doubt that if you had the case in front of you there'd be no problem with figuring how to insulate the drive from the case if/where it was needed.

But your confidence level to create a mechanical solution seems to be a little low and I don't wanna push you over the ledge. :)

Go get some velcro and make a masterpiece! :D

Good Luck!

BTW, anyone know why there are many of these types of SSDs minus case being sold on eBay? Are they stolen or manufacturer engineering samples?

Are you seeing a bunch in one catagory?

The only ones I'm seeing are the laptop drives that have no covers.

Sounds like you should be warrantying the drive instead of using it! Newegg's pics of this same model shows it quite clothed!

Are you seeing a bunch in one catagory?

The only ones I'm seeing are the laptop drives that have no covers.

There is a seller selling some 160GB 25X-M G2s in the same condition. I have also seen some others when searching for other models.

Last edited:
since SSD prices keep falling, i'm surprised no1's thought of replacement cover/enclosure solutions yet.

Back