SRT SSD Cache for RAID Drives

-Dragon-

2[H]4U
I've been doing some research on this topic and it seems possible from documentation but I can't seem to find any reviews or testimonials of anyone actually doing it. The whole SSD cache thing can be used in conjunction with a RAID correct?

if you are using a ZFS filesystem you can put l2arc and ZIL logs on an SSD for higher performance.

are you talking about this?

Sounds a bit like this to me, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148591

But on a RAID array, you're probably close to if not already exceeding the seq read/write of a single SSD. So this type of cache would only be helpful for random small file access. in which case this would help but you would see far better results from a block level cache of say 1GB ram per 4TB raid array.

EDIT:

Here's an SSD bench of my 12TB RAID 6 array. Keep in mind these are slow 5400 rpm green drives and a AReca 1230 controller (slow by todays standards). This is with 3.5GB of block level cache. I can move around 5GB files in a few seconds. And the random 4k access is still 5x faster than what an RST SSD setup would yield. The point is that is adds a lot of zip to a modest RAID setup.

asssdbencharecaarc1230v.png

Last edited:
I've been doing some research on this topic and it seems possible from documentation but I can't seem to find any reviews or testimonials of anyone actually doing it. The whole SSD cache thing can be used in conjunction with a RAID correct?

Did you happen to see the SRT thread that's stickied at the top of the forum?

My verdict on SRT = "meh" if you can afford a decently sized SSD.

I made a poor choice for drives in a VM host and the system at times gets a bit IO bound and I'm thinking an SSD cache would help increase IOPS for the RAID fairly nicely

I made a poor choice for drives in a VM host and the system at times gets a bit IO bound and I'm thinking an SSD cache would help increase IOPS for the RAID fairly nicely

ahh, now theres the information that should have been included in post #1 so that we didnt have to go guessing about linux or ZFS and stuff. :rolleyes:

i guess 7 posts in is better than never

Back