SR2 heat?

Shadowmeph

Limp Gawd
I am trying to figure out what part of my MB is getting hot it gets to 90c and climbs under stress testing with a 3ghz OC on my cpu's . I would like to know so I can figure out how to cool that part of the board more

get one of those laser thermometers, they are only 15-30 bucks

This is what I have....

http://www.lowes.com/pd_73790-56005-IRT207_0__?productId=3136869&cm_mmc=SCE_PLA-_-ToolsAndHardware-_-SpecialtyHandTools-_-3136869&CAWELAID=1023574285&kpid=3136869&CAGPSPN=pla&k_clickID=1358e783-c334-f3a8-f38e-000055a108a8&kpid=3136869

681035014035.jpg

I have used it on multiple computer, my truck, and as a cat toy.

Cats love laser pointers... these heat guns suffice the same

yes, the tool does double duty...which reminds me, been a while since I played with her

I do not regret spending the $20 on this tool. I am sure there are better, but this one gets the job done for me.

I can figure out which video card is which in a multi GPU machine
I can find misfiring cylinders on a V8
I can entertain my cat
I can locate stupid hot components in a computer....

It really is worth the $20, especially for a computer. My Fluke 189 (yikes that one is 200 bones) comes with contact thermometers to go along with voltage, I have an additional temp probe that converts temp to voltage, and works with other multimeters, and a clamp on ammeter. While the temp probes might be more accurate, you have to touch the component, and worry about grounding and other things that might fry a solid state component. I don't regret these tools, and use them to trouble shoot my computers.

The one I linked to is a retail website. Does it not allow buying and shipping to Canada? I suppose the rate for shipping might be international.......

3GHz is a very low OC for such temps, care to share CPU specs and main OC settings? At 3GHz 6c Xeons run UNDERvolted...

my specs are Xeon L5639 on SR2 motherboard with 12Gb ram mind you I am only using Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro REV.2 CPU Heatsink Coolers
CPUid shows that I am running at 3599Mhz

I guesstimate that 3.6GHz is around BClk 200 for that chips, which is close to the maximum OC you will reach. try to reduce the pressure on the motherboard by slwoing the RAM. sometimes just going for 2:8 or 2:6 divider is enough to cool the mobo. trying to lower the VTT also helps. on Auto settings the BIOS will put VTT on 1.4v, which may not be necessary if you are not running the RAM way aove spec. also the BIOS puts 1.65v on RAM even when the kit runs at 1.5v. this last part is the most likely scenario, as my ECC RAM runs very hot at 1.65v, but only mildly warm at 1.5v

I guesstimate that 3.6GHz is around BClk 200 for that chips, which is close to the maximum OC you will reach. try to reduce the pressure on the motherboard by slwoing the RAM. sometimes just going for 2:8 or 2:6 divider is enough to cool the mobo. trying to lower the VTT also helps. on Auto settings the BIOS will put VTT on 1.4v, which may not be necessary if you are not running the RAM way aove spec. also the BIOS puts 1.65v on RAM even when the kit runs at 1.5v. this last part is the most likely scenario, as my ECC RAM runs very hot at 1.65v, but only mildly warm at 1.5v

Thank I will test those out :)

For quick temp checks... i use an Omega OS530L... works great.

Last edited:
Back