Squad

Screens or it didn't happen.

(My work proxy blocks gaming sites)

I asked if it played like Battlefield or ARMA on the Steam forums people say it's the bet of both someone said it's like Project Reality whatever that is.

I have been playing it for a while.

If you liked bf2 pr then you like squad, basically like pr but better. If you havent played pr then its not your typical run and gun shooter. it focuses heavily on teamwork. running and gunning doesn't work real well. currently there are two game modes aas (advance and secure) and insurgency (destroying weapons caches). right now aas is really the only game mode i have seen played, insurgency isnt that popular. The gun play feels really good some minor flaws but no real complaints.sounds are probably the best in any game I have played so far. maps are extremely realistic, in regards to the feel and lay out. the reload animations are spot on. i was pretty blown away by the saw reload animation. every thing they are implementing is made with a high level of fidelity.

I would recommend this to any one who likes realistic shooters and likes working as a team. if you are looking for a game like cs or insurgency then this probably isnt your game.

Once they get some more assets in game, like vehicles, thats when its going to really shine, but as is, its still a solid shooter.

I would say it feels more like bf than arma since the movment and shooting is very smooth/not clunky, but I would in no way say it plays like bf

Last edited:
The problem I have with ARMA is that it plays like I'm operating the soldier like a tank, with knobs, switches and levers. There are 4 different stances, 7 different weapon grip states, 15 different ways to apply pressure to the toes of the soldier, 35 different breathing modes, all with their own hotkeys and pre-settings...

The problem I have with ARMA is that it plays like I'm operating the soldier like a tank, with knobs, switches and levers. There are 4 different stances, 7 different weapon grip states, 15 different ways to apply pressure to the toes of the soldier, 35 different breathing modes, all with their own hotkeys and pre-settings...

Sounds like you've never played ArmA...the infantry controls are not that hard.

This game honestly just looks like a shitty version of ArmA 2.

Looks like it's really hard to spot your enemy at times. Going to see where vr support goes and might give it a try when it goes on sale. Think I like the semi realism of csgo and battlefield better than ultra realism like arma.

There's no way in hell I would pay $40 for this, just doesn't look like enough content (yet?).

It reminds me of Insurgency, where the majority of everyone has no fucking idea what they're doing.

It should look like insurgency since the game insurgency was a rip off of bf2 pr insurgency.

and ya some times you get in a bad squad where every one is retarded but more often than not you can find a good one where people are working as a team.

Sounds like you've never played ArmA...the infantry controls are not that hard.

This game honestly just looks like a shitty version of ArmA 2.

Looks a lot better than ArmA 3 right now in terms of movement and weapons.

It should look like insurgency since the game insurgency was a rip off of bf2 pr insurgency.

No, Insurgency is based off of the mod. Both play rather different from BF2's PR. Insurgency was much more like RO1. The standalone version is a little more mainstream and action oriented.

I have it but I dont play it much, I tried to convince my bf4 buddy's to get it... :/

Looks a lot better than ArmA 3 right now in terms of movement and weapons.

No, Insurgency is based off of the mod. Both play rather different from BF2's PR. Insurgency was much more like RO1. The standalone version is a little more mainstream and action oriented.

Hmmm never new that. Learn somthing every day.

Definitely looking into buying this at some point in the future. It's difficult but I'm probably going to hold off until vehicles make an appearance.

They are planning to have a pretty fleshed out gun control and positional system which will allow you to support your weapon on obstacles and adjust your height/direction while crouching.

The game is great. If you feel like Arma 3 is too unstructured and you don't have time or the will to join a unit, then this is really the next best thing. Sometimes I want to jump into a game and shoot some stuff yet not be playing COD or Halo, and Arma 3 is honestly pretty terrible for that if you don't have an appointment with your realism unit. Without vehicles the gameplay is also much purer in terms of infantry stuff right now in Squad, I hope that doesn't change all that much in the future. There's also not the general lagginess and performance problems that you get with Arma 3 most of the times on unoptimized/clowncar servers, so it's much better if you just want to plink some guys in a realistic setting without dealing with Arma bullshit.

ArmA 3 at release had horrible 3D model clipping and un-synced sounds/animations, so I don't think it is hard to top that. :D

Perhaps (though I think you are exaggerating a bit) but that's not the case now.

I can see the purpose for this game so I'm not totally writing it off, but it does just seem like they're going for an ArmA Lite. I guess I play ArmA 3 weekly with a squad so I don't see the point of this myself, but for others it might make sense, like dmonkey pointed out.

Perhaps (though I think you are exaggerating a bit) but that's not the case now.

I can see the purpose for this game so I'm not totally writing it off, but it does just seem like they're going for an ArmA Lite. I guess I play ArmA 3 weekly with a squad so I don't see the point of this myself, but for others it might make sense, like dmonkey pointed out.

well its not on the arma engine so its definitely going to feel less clunky and buggy as fuck.

I also play with a group of 30 or so people every week in arma. I wouldnt say it would make me want to play squad less it fills a different niche. arma is all sim little action. where as squad is mostly action with a bit of sim, with a heavy emphasis on teamwork.

also the maps on squad are really solid and have a more realistic feel than most of the arma maps imho.4

also the sounds in squad are way better than stock arma sounds. plus the effects are going to be hands down better than in arma.

I feel really stupid playing this game. There are some damn good players already spittin all this military lingo and I sit there with my thumb up my ass going "uhhhhhhhh?"

I haven't notice that, well besides compass headings and and directions, which i wouldn't really categorize as "military." Somtimes there are some dumb-ass tacticool children that act all military but for the most part its not bad.

Finally. I have been waiting to try this one. Hope I like it. Seems to be my type of game.

It kicks my systems butt. I am on medium getting 25 FPS. It's not fun to play like that so until I upgrade my system this will be a pass.

Oh, and it takes forever to walk around the massive map.

can't comment on the performance since i've tried just one map and the server had "only" 32 players, i got 90-120fps most of the time ( using a 122fps cap )

controls are definately less clunky/complex than ArmA series, screwed around with the medic class a bit, plays like BF2 (not BC2) with elements of America's Army 2.X here and there, really like what I'm seeing so far :)

I watched some players stream it about 2 months ago, it is a very nice looking game. However, to create the first person view, their animation system uses a camera inside the player model's body. This was confirmed to cause some floating point precision issues with the accuracy of the gun's position and scopes at long range, especially when aiming at a change in elevation up or down. It's not off by a lot. Through the scope you sometimes have to aim to the left by a full player's width if there is a change in elevation, which may annoy some people.

can't comment on the performance since i've tried just one map and the server had "only" 32 players, i got 90-120fps most of the time ( using a 122fps cap )

controls are definately less clunky/complex than ArmA series, screwed around with the medic class a bit, plays like BF2 (not BC2) with elements of America's Army 2.X here and there, really like what I'm seeing so far :)
Right. I found out after I posted that if I chose a map with a lot less people I could play. I was on about 32 man server and got over 60 FPS. I just can't play those 70 man servers.

Back