Spots are tough to come by in the top 50

sandmanx

[H]F Junkie
I finally moved from 49 to 48 with the latest stats on the official site last hour, when I dumped a 733 pointer off. The bad part about being in the top 50 is it takes forever to track someone down and pass them.

Hopefully I can stay where I am and not drop back for a while, because there is nearly 40K to make up to the next spot. I'm sure I'll be caught by susd30 by then...argh!

Haha yeah, I've noticed that in the top 50, or even top 100, members' PPD is extremely high, so it takes longer to get up, it's not like me being still in the thousands :p except on a good day I've passed over 40 or 50...haha oh well. Still nice job from moving on up.

So true! I sat in the 69th position forever, and just the other day I moved to the 68th. Since the ppd is so high there can be 20k point difference between each rank. Crazy.

I know what you mean, I have been hovering in the 105-110 range for so long, barley creeping up, its frustrating!

I've been fighting and slugging it out in the top 200. The first 25 spots weren't that tough to move through. However, from about 175 to where I am not has been hell. I've added a bit of production in that time and it's barely kept me going at about the rate I was previously advancing until I hit the top 150. Since then I've been scratching and clawing my way through only to get knocked back by some much higher PPD people coming up from behind.

I managed to top out at 140th place but was immediately knocked back to 141. I need to add some production somehow and some way soon. Otherwise the people on my tail are going to overtake before I can climb much higher. Maybe I'll still be able to find a way to get a dual core AMD box somehow. That would help my production immensely and give me a crack at the top 100 at least for a little while.

I first got to 24th on the 04-05-2004 with ........
250,010 points & 7,868 Work Units.
Since then its been +/- 1 place.

Now its .......
1,305,296 points & 13,336 Work Units.
I'm finaly starting to drop places as I cannot afford the cost of the electricity to expand my farm.

Your looking at +50 Ghz to stand still at the top........... :p

Luck.......... :D

Yep, I'm staying around #150 with 5k ppd. 15k for Tigerbiten's #25ish spot. Where are the 10k people staying?

I think I may be getting a little more production soon, but I don't want to give it away too soon. If it comes off I'll have pics, I promise ;)

unhappy_mage said:
Yep, I'm staying around #150 with 5k ppd. 15k for Tigerbiten's #25ish spot. Where are the 10k people staying?

5K PpD.
Puts you in the to 10 for output....... :p
I think you need to devide by 7.

Tigerbiten said:
5K PpD.
Puts you in the to 10 for output....... :p
I think you need to devide by 7.

>< I meant ~5k ppw, points per week. D'oh.

The bad part about being in the top 50 is it takes forever to track someone down and pass them.

Indeed. I spend more time looking in the rearview mirror these days! But, just occasionally I pass someone who has shut down their farm or taken a break from our glorious cause... 29! :)

I am just trying to stay in the top 100, was at 85th but all of these new guys with computer labs, and multiple borgs are really blowing me away, :) keep it up, makes me want to try harder

just added another box to the cause and am working on updating some of the farm, but can only spend a few dollars a month to do so.

I'm looking at 6 months until I can move up 2 spots again. Unfortunately I'm also looking at getting passed twice right around the same time too. So there will be a few busy days in about a half year and then I'll be right back where I am now. :(

Yea, I'm gonna be out of the top 10, again, any second now.

Maybe if I quit screwing around with other users/other projects this would not me an issue... :D

I have a feeling I'll be dropping out of the top 100 pretty soon as I start taking my farm duallys off and putting them to other uses :(

Penguincomp lamented...
I have a feeling I'll be dropping out of the top 100 pretty soon as I start taking my farm duallys off and putting them to other uses

Other uses? What else are duallys good for? ;)

I have been fighting tooth and nail thru 100-74.... and I have stalled out

I go up someone will pass me so I back down

The good news is that we are becoming a team of higher producers. The bad news is that there is less incentive for people once they hit their "stall" point and have maxed out production.

So what can we do as a team to keep the "stalled out" but still high production members interested enough to keep on doing what they obviously do well ? Many of the contests, and much of the banter is currently involving new recruits to [H] . I suggest that we develop some sort of contest/competition that is not purely points/WU related but is limited to the high producers (pick the level, but limit the contestants to high level) , even a contest to come closest to a particular score or points gain at a particular hour (golf analogy- closest to pin) .

Thoughts ?

RPhArrow wrote:
So what can we do as a team to keep the "stalled out" but still high production members interested enough to keep on doing what they obviously do well ? Many of the contests, and much of the banter is currently involving new recruits to [H] . I suggest that we develop some sort of contest/competition that is not purely points/WU related but is limited to the high producers (pick the level, but limit the contestants to high level) , even a contest to come closest to a particular score or points gain at a particular hour (golf analogy- closest to pin) .

I like the "stalled out" description. And, I like the idea of something to maintain the interest and enthusiasm of so-called high producers.
What I hate seeing are high producers who disappear and stop folding. :(

RPhArrow said:

Well Moose and I were discussing this yesterday. We've got a few things that we were getting ready to propose post [H]ordeBowl, but if you guys have any ideas, go for it. More run offs and competitions the better! :D

As for the top 50/100, it is a struggle once you get up there. I always considered my first main goal to crack the top 100, and now that I've gotten there, I like just catching the next person in line. It only comes about every week or 2, but I've been passing a few people, but with the number of up and comers, for every person I pass, I get passed by someone else. :p

One sure fire way to keep big producers interested is.......... more big producers. Fear of losing a spot you've worked long and hard to obtain is a great motivator! :)

Thinking out loud a bit here... So , in a contest limited to the top 100 as of some particular date, the contest coordinator sets a goal for a particular number of points on a specific date & time (specify time zone or just Stanford time for fairness). Qualified entrant only has to notify the contest coordinator of the (new & original) folding name to be used. Specify disqualification if any existing folding name & team is used. (to be checked by coordinator at entry time) . At specified day & time, coordinator only has to check which of those contest names is closest to the target points score (makes no difference if over or under). Winner gets a special banner or some graphic trophy in a stickied thread.

This allows entrants to use any single or combination of boxes to approach the target. Emphasis here is obviously on expertise at configuring your FAH client(s) for a specific return. Contest coordinator will need to select non-trivial points targets announced at a set day & time, and entry time windows enforced to prevent unjustifiably enhanced entries (cheating).

Have I overlooked anything obvious ?

I like the idea of just about anything.

Some things to keep in mind in my opinion-

- Many of the higher up in PPD/Overall points folks are not all that active on the forums. Just an observation, more points you have less you post ect.

- Many of the higher PPD/Overall point folks have less control over all their borgs then you might think. Production machines which are set to do normal WU's and that's it. Many (50+ cpu count folders) systems which are not under their "direct/day to day" control. Systems where tweaking with configs is not realistic on a one by one basis.

Generally by this time I'm guessing either you folding for the cause, folding regardless of anything else, or forgot you borged all those machines to begin with.

That being said, again I'm up for anything. It can get kinda boring I guess at times for me at least.

To flat out steal ideas, OCAU did/does contest thing where a goal is set, relative to you current output, and the person who hits that or passes it the most wins. It's complex to me at least with all the different brackets and what not, but none the less interesting.

I still like the battle royal idea. (Trademarked by SmokeRngs per some obscure IRC chat log... :rolleyes: :p ) Have a "trophy", set guidelines based on hf.com rankings (Sword-smith ect) where a group of folders can challenge a higher PPD user to take the trophy and bragging rights. Then this group would have to defend their trophy from the next attack.

IE. One person with current PPD of 5k could be challenged by 1-1k/2-2k (total 5k)PPD folks. Limit the time of battle to 1 week on, 1 week smack talk/next line up, then the next round.

edit: Call it the Horde Royal w/ Cheese

One thought of contests where you need a new user name, I think generally most people would prefer strongly not to do this.

Something to keep things interesting is always a plus!

pageian stated:
One sure fire way to keep big producers interested is.......... more big producers. Fear of losing a spot you've worked long and hard to obtain is a great motivator!

Yes, and when you are in position 4, there are not many ahead to pass! I just checked and you're slated to pass a couple in the next 154 days, and be passed by a couple in the same period. :D And there are a couple more gaining on you but still in the distance.

Get folding you slacker... ;)

Marty9876 suggested:
Call it the Horde Royal w/ Cheese

The [H]orde Royal w/ Cheese sounds like a good idea to me. :)

I agree that it would be a hassle to reborg a farm composed of "distributed" computers.

agreed no reborging thats a pita i have computers spread over about 200 square miles

Celerator said:
The [H]orde Royal w/ Cheese and Wine sounds like a good idea to me. :)

I agree that it would be a hassle to reborg a farm composed of "distributed" computers.

fixed

84gthatch said:
agreed no reborging thats a pita i have computers spread over about 200 square miles
I've got another idea that involves NO reborging.... and a bit more luck. Have each contestant predict what their points output will be for a given time period. Figure score as a percentage deviation from their prediction, so big producers won't be penalized for having bigger deviations. Least deviant contestant wins :D (Guess that will leave Marty out)

RPhArrow

edit: would have to find a way to keep single box QMD producers from making it too easy.

84gthatch said:

While my b0rgs aren't spread about quite as much, I can't go through and change all of the F@H entries in the registries because the computers I've b0rged are being used 24/7. I get full access to them about once every 3-4 months, so there is no way that I could be part of a contest where I had to adopt a new name for a while.

Hell I will be glad when I get out of the first 1000. Only some 2000 spots to go.

I made it to 73 today... and now I am back to 74

hmmm... and my ppd is way down when a few months ago it was at like 2k and now i am lucky to get that... I guess i lost some borgs along the way

Guess it is time to start tutoring some freshman chicks in math

Duster said:
I made it to 73 today... and now I am back to 74

Guess it is time to start tutoring some freshman chicks in math

Hell, I don't even have any daughters and I object to you tutoring my freshman chicks in math :D

RPhArrow said:
Hell, I don't even have any daughters and I object to you tutoring my freshman chicks in math :D

well I could always do spelling :D

if you rather me do that instead. It is only so I can get into b0rg the comps...

Duster said:
well I could always do spelling :D

if you rather me do that instead. It is only so I can get into b0rg the comps...

Well we are the [H]orde... whatever it takes to get a borg :p

RPhArrow said:
Well we are the [H]orde... whatever it takes to get a borg :p

A b0rg for the [H]orde is a b0rg for man kind!!

"Get'er b0rged"

do the right thing and b0rg with catution you don't want a nasty virus that makes things burn while you are doing your thing

Yeah, I'm sitting at 98 right now, with CBR about to pass me. I'm eyeing 75th, but I think it's going to take me a long long time to get there.

Back