Spin Qubit Chip from Intel

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Quantum computing science and theory is nothing new. The basics are bit like Schrodinger's cat. Quantum particles can exist in more than one state at one time and this is the basis of quantum computing, much different than our current off/on or 0/1 approach. Intel is touting a new Spin Qubit chip for quantum computing that will have quantum bits that hold a single electron which can hold multiple spin states at one time. Word is however this will not be built on its 10nm process, much like any other chip Intel will be producing any time soon.

The new spin qubit chip runs at the extremely low temperatures required for quantum computing: roughly 460 degrees below zero Fahrenheit – 250 times colder than space.

The spin qubit chip does not contain transistors – the on/off switches that form the basis of today’s computing devices – but qubits (short for "quantum bits") that can hold a single electron. The behavior of that single electron, which can be in multiple spin states simultaneously, offers vastly greater computing power than today’s transistors, and is the basis of quantum computing.

Reactions: Zuul
like this
Roughly -460 degrees F. That would make it -0,33 degrees K and to my limited knowledge that is impossibru. This is important, people!

edit: it says roughly, but why in the fuck can they not put the exact number on their own page? This is going to make me lose sleep

Roughly -460 degrees F. That would make it -0,33 degrees K and to my limited knowledge that is impossibru. This is important, people!

edit: it says roughly, but why in the fuck can they not put the exact number on their own page? This is going to make me lose sleep
Wiki say it's now possibru

Reactions: Zuul
like this
When you factor in the energy cost of cooling the processor is it still more efficient per watt than a traditional CPU?

all i can say is that trouble shooting these things will be a major PITA, how do you now which state is the correct state ? i just measured it and got this state ?
but the manual said it should be that state ... wait ..
umm now the manual says it should be the other state . ok lets check it again, what the hell! now its the other state !!!
but the manual says it should be .. OMG HOW in the Hell !! the manual now says it should be this other state ??

phone rings ,, hello ? yes im having problems with my quantum computer ... Hey wait a minute how do you know i have a quantum computer??!
what do you mean its state is entangled with your support center ?? !!
your a scammer !!
no im not the scammer ??
wait what ? you now have all the information you need to process my order ?
what order ?? who is this ??!!
no dont charge my card !! How do you even have my card number ??
what do you mean im now contractually entangled !!
well yes i clicked on the accept terms of service button .

250 times colder than space.

I totally don't get that math.

Is that like, 250 times more erect than Ron Jeremy?

Space has a temperature. It is 250 times colder than that.

I feel stupid for typing this because I MUST be missing something.

So, if space were -2K (hypothetical), it'd be -500K. Or going the other way, since they said it was -460F, you could then say space is -1.84F.
That said, it doesn't mean much if you aren't given an actual region of space. You could just as well say 400 times the temperature of water...

When you factor in the energy cost of cooling the processor is it still more efficient per watt than a traditional CPU?

Depends on the problem being run against the quantum processor. If the problem is, for instance, superpolynomial for classical computers, then the power and most importantly a huge factor of time will be saved with a quantum computer.

Back