Spend ~$300 on my rig

TheForumTroll

Weaksauce
Yeah I know, not the most original thread ever, but I thought it would be interesting to see what others would upgrade my stuff with, for around US $ 200-300. I tend to end up looking at a single very expensive piece of hardware if I browse around myself, so any ideas would be appreciated, just to see it from another perspective.

Use: Gaming mostly, some browsing and listening to music or watching films. I'm upgrading my speakers but I'm not yet sure how much I want to spend on them, so please ignore the sound part (unless a soundcard is still useful?).

The specs are in my signature (I think everything is in there, except my DVD drive and harddrives for backup/storage, but let me know if I missed anything obvious).

Last edited:
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
2) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
3) When do you plan on buying the upgrades?
4) Which version of Windows 7 do you have? Home Premium? Pro? etc
5) What's the voltage on the Corsair RAM you have?

Updated the OP and signature.

Well, I live in Denmark and was planning to buy tonight/tomorrow/ASAP, if anyone comes up with any good ideas.

The voltage on my RAM? Eh, let me check.

1.65 V according to the shop I got them from. Is that good or bad? :D

The voltage on my RAM? Eh, let me check.

1.65 V according to the shop I got them from. Is that good or bad? :D

That's bad considering that Intel recommends only 1.5V for the RAM. While some people have reported that their system has been running fine with 1.65V RAM, I'd rather be safe than sorry and would highly recommend replacing that RAM with RAM rated at 1.5V or less.

In addition to the RAM upgrade, I'd also upgrade the GPU to the GTX 660 TI or HD 7950 at the least.

Thanks, I'll look into the RAM problem. Didn't know anything about that.

I'm not sure I need a better GPU... but maybe. The GTX 660 or HD 7950 isn't bigger (higher) than the 460 right? Because with the 460 I have to admit I kinda forced the PSU in place (they touch).

What am I saying. I play ARMA and a new one is on the way. Sure I need a new GPU..

What RAM would you suggest? As fast as possible with no need for overclocking ability. 4GB should be enough I think. I used to have more but don't think I have ever used more than 3-4GB. Unless ARMA 3 is going to support more than the 2GB ARMA 2 supports now.

What RAM would you suggest? As fast as possible with no need for overclocking ability. 4GB should be enough I think. I used to have more but don't think I have ever used more than 3-4GB. Unless ARMA 3 is going to support more than the 2GB ARMA 2 supports now.

I'd go for 8GB of RAM since RAM is cheap and more RAM generally helps. Any RAM rated at 1.5V and DDR3 1333 speed will be fine. Do note that Intel CPUs do not benefit that much from higher RAM speed or lower latency in real world apps and games.

Back