Spectrum Cable Allegedly Intentionally Throttled Online Games to Extort Payments

Remember Title II was mostly just a reclassification of how ISPs were labeled because of some legalize.
And without that classification they couldn't regulate it. Again you keep trying to downplay something that is critical as nothing at all. That is clearly BS.

Now you are the one being completely dishonest.
Nope. If you read the wiki you'll see they regulated all kinds of things. Its all stated their clearly. Their powers were intended to be broad. Congress itself was quite explicit in its clarifications over time too stating that telecommunciations was anything transmitted information without making changes to it essentially.

In addition prior to the reclassification of Title II, the FCC itself stipulated that enforcing NN rules wasn't really within its jurisdiction and that it belonged to congress...
No it didn't. You can tell the FCC didn't believe that because of 2015 decision to regulate in NN per the rules already posted. The Repub members of the FCC chair believed it didn't (ie. Pai) but then they're generally against any and all regulation of business by default anyways.

That some rulings were excluded is also besides the point when talking about a complex set of rules. There'll always be exceptions in those cases. What matters is what it did broadly.

And I have refuted your claims with actual examples over and over.
No you haven't. You disagreeing with me isn't a refutation. Especially when frequently your "refutations" boil down to "nuh uh" and usually have no supporting links, even bad ones.

Not to mention the fact that part of this very lawsuit happened during Title II regulations, and what was done? Did the FCC step in? Did they fine them?
The FCC has to have knowledge of what is going on at the time + the courts work slow + its a common tactic by either side in a court case to stall things for years if possible. If you know anything about the courts you'd know that and you'd never ask such questions.

If you want to argue that because regulation and enforcement is imperfect it must be useless, or something to that effect, then I'd point NOTHING is perfect and there'll always be regulatory and/or enforcement issues no matter what you do. IOW you're being dishonest if you're expect perfection or anything close to it.

[/quote]
That doesn't say what you're claiming it does at all!! Its also a argument put forth by the ISP's and and shitbird shills like Heritage that ignores previous court decisions at that!! Funny how a self proclaimed proponent of NN such as you keeps trying to back the ISP's views here isn't it? Despite courts already ruling in other cases earlier that the FCC did indeed have the power to do punitive regulations too. For an example of information on that subject:

"In addressing these questions, we apply the familiar two-step analysis of Chevron, U.S.A., Inc. v. Natural Resources Defense Council, Inc., 467 U.S. 837 (1984). As the Supreme Court has recently made clear, Chevron deference is warranted even if the Commission has interpreted a statutory provision that could be said to delineate the scope of the agency’s jurisdiction. See City of Arlington v. FCC, 133 S. Ct. 1863, 1874 (2013). Thus, if we determine that the Commission’s interpretation of section 706 represents a reasonable resolution of a statutory ambiguity, we must defer to that interpretation. See Chevron, 467 U.S. at 842–43." -Verizon v. FCC, No. 11-1355, Slip at 18 (D.C. Cir. Jan. 14, 2014)"

Basically the FCC said at one time it wasn't really sure if it had the powers to regulate and then later changed its mind (2010 Open Internet Order), they got sued over that in a different case and the FCC decision was upheld because the court found that the FCC is able to change its mind on how regs are interpreted and implemented which is a necessary part of doing its job as tech changes over time. Just like any other govt. regulatory organization essentially.

Also they didn't fine Spectrum over this issue that happened in 2015 during Title II.
This case wasn't even filed until early 2017 dude. By that time it was Pai and the other chumps running the show and regulatory capture was in full effect. Check the dates. You expecting the Wheeler era FCC to use time travel to do enforcement or what?

It is precisely because I am using specific language that I am for actual NN instead of vague fines and threats.
Using specific language in obtuse manners is highly dishonest and a big part of the problem I'm having with your claims here. That is what you have to address.

evidence?
I cut n' pasted it dude. They got caught red handed. If that isn't evidence to you, in a actual legal document that was accepted by the court no less, then you're just flat out full of it at this point.

Again, this is the very problem with current and even past regulations. This kind of situation is what falls through the cracks.
Since they're getting sued for it they're quite clearly NOT falling through the cracks though. That it isn't the FCC doing it is besides the point too given the grounds of the lawsuit which is partially on the basis of the Wheeler FCC's NN rules.

No, they weren't, that is an old quote that predates all of this.
That doesn't matter. What matters is what they were doing at the time the NN rules were still in effect. And if they were still doing it, which it going by the document they were, then they're caught red handed and that older email is proof they knew and purposefully knew what they were doing and why.

So essentially they were being forced through those routes because they had no other means to get there unless tey build more hardware and access points.
Except if they got paid suddenly those bandwidth problems either went away or got mitigated greatly at the expense of others who didn't pay. That is extortion. And for some reason you're determined to ignore that fact.

In principle it is absolutely different.
Nope. Disagreeing over means or type of extortion is irrelevant. Again they got caught saying they'd force those who didn't pay to lose quality of service. There is litterally nothing you can say to justify that, especially as a self proclaimed proponent of NN.

Again, they weren't forcing it over known insufficient hardware, they didn't have sufficient hardware.
Again, they litterally said they did. That quote from the exec's email lays it out for you as simple as possible. There is no other way to read or interpret it without being fundamentally dishonest at this point.

Benefit of the doubt to who?
To Spectrum clearly. You keep going out of your way to take their side here why also going out of your way to crap on the FCC's NN decisions. No proponent of NN would ever do either of those things.

Name one place where I am not honest.
Calling the power to regulate something "nothing" for one WRT the Title II decision. You remember when you did that? There are others but the way you just blew that off as if it was nothing was particularly absurd.

Show me this huge impact it made with all its new strong teeth.
Most of the effects were tied up in lawsuits that were working their way through the courts (note the date of the ruling 2016! for a case began in 2015 not long after the NN rules were passed by the FCC), just like this one. It was litterally locked up in court cases that were dragged out as long as possible. On top of that Congressional Repubs, who controlled Congress than as now, were already doing stuff to block the implement of the NN rules before they were even passed. And by the time the favorable rulings in the courts began to come in it was too late. A new admin was in power and they appointed more stooges like Pai to the FCC to kill it and that was that.

But it wasn't, he even provided data for it.
He is a known liar though who has a long history of distorting the truth in favor of established companies and of removing consumer protections as he considers them to be "anti free market". Again as a self avowed NN advocate you'd know that and you wouldn't trust a known bad source of information like that either. Especially one who is highly anti-NN no matter what.

This is my problem with the current climate, people aren't actually advocating for NN, they are advocating for crappy stop gaps and regulations that aren't addressing the root of the problems.
With a Repub controlled Congress (from 2010 onwards) a "clean" NN like you claim to want could never be passed then or now. There was flat out no possibility of it since the Repubs had chosen to block NN to guarantee "freedoms". If you don't understand or are ignorant of the political reality of the time, or now, you won't understand what is going on here at all.

And if you're going to keep letting perfect be the enemy of better then you're in for a loooooong life of disappointment.

Last edited:
Imo, we the tax payers should have the infastructure put in by the government and allow private companies to sell the service.
If the govt. (and by extension the people via taxes) is going to pay for the infrastructure why should it allow private entities to extract profit from it at the expense of the taxpayers?

Fort Gordon, home of the Cyber Center of Excellence.

Internet is garbage here too. I get better internet on the Sprint network.

Here on Ft. Huchcua, the NEC shut down NIPRNET because there was a threat of the ddos attack :confused:

That learned'em . You can't ddos us (y)

Wow, dude, wtf are you talking about? Have you even read anything I have said? None of your replies have the slightest to do with any of the things I have said. I never mentioned it being a single customer. I never mentioned it being a single service. I never mentioned peering to every IP. I never once made any of those statements. I gave a simple example of a simple situation to elaborate on how things work. I have no idea where you think you are going with any of this, but I really am wondering what you actually know about how the internet works...

This is your argument. Netflix should pay every single ISP in the world money if they have a single bit travel over that network because they are using up too much bandwidth. According to you Netflix is getting free bandwidth and being allowed to max out the connections all over the USA (and any other country they are in).

My argument is that Netflix is not getting free bandwidth since they paid for service with their ISP. Then on top of that the end watcher pays for bandwidth with their ISP. Thus if ISP A (Netflix ISP) and ISP B (end viewer ISP) need a larger pipe between them that is their problem, not the single customer on either end since they are already paying for that pipe to be enlarged. To expand on that this ISN'T just about Netflix, which you are fucking hell bent on Netflix this and Netflix that. Netflix is 1 of multiple people here hit by this. So you are looking at 1 company out of every company out there. This is in regards to every single IP out there doing anything. If they are going to charge Facebook for you (end user that is their customer and using the service) to access facebook, and charge Google for you to access youtube and google services, and charge Microsoft for you to access Xbox Live, and charge Sony for you to access PSN, and charge Blizzard for you to access WOW, and charge Riot for you to access League of Legends, and charge everyone else for you go to the site of. If you find that justified because they need to peer with every one of these people then you are saying that they need to peer with everyone out there since they are charging everyone out there per service or basically blacklisting them on their network.

If you think what they are doing is 100% justified and is how the world should work, then you are in fact saying exactly what I said just trying to skate around using the words.

What he said isn't complicated. It's just wordy. He thinks that the ISP customers should pay for the peering, and off network service providers should pay their ISP. The ISP's should naturally come to an equilibrium on how to peer together.

The problem is the ISP's don't agree on who will pay. Does the server side pay, or the receiver side?

It was perfectly sensible. It was related to what you posted. I get the feeling this is a situation where he can explain it to you, but he can't understand it for you.

Yeah, some people go into a conversation with the mindset that they are 100% correct, nothing in their thought process is wrong and any attempt at being explained anything in a different verbiage or being told that they are not correct in their mindset won't register.

Yes, I was a little wordy, but you seem to understand it just fine. ISP should pay for ISP connections, they should make sure they can give customers what they pay for. I know it is a crazy idea to think that you shouldn't be sold 300Mbps if your ISP knows that they can never give you more than 20Mbps . And it is crazy to think that your ISP should have a backhaul large enough to service whatever is normally in use on the network.

Over subscribing is fine and normal, but you still can and should make sure that your customers can have access to whatever they normally are going to use. If we notice congestion on our network we upgrade optics or equipment. Doesn't seem too hard to understand. Our customers are paying of for service, we make sure they get that service. I don't see a need to block out some random web hosting company unless they pay me $10,000 a week.

Yeah, some people go into a conversation with the mindset that they are 100% correct, nothing in their thought process is wrong and any attempt at being explained anything in a different verbiage or being told that they are not correct in their mindset won't register.

Yes, I was a little wordy, but you seem to understand it just fine. ISP should pay for ISP connections, they should make sure they can give customers what they pay for. I know it is a crazy idea to think that you shouldn't be sold 300Mbps if your ISP knows that they can never give you more than 20Mbps . And it is crazy to think that your ISP should have a backhaul large enough to service whatever is normally in use on the network.

Over subscribing is fine and normal, but you still can and should make sure that your customers can have access to whatever they normally are going to use. If we notice congestion on our network we upgrade optics or equipment. Doesn't seem too hard to understand. Our customers are paying of for service, we make sure they get that service. I don't see a need to block out some random web hosting company unless they pay me $10,000 a week.

I see your point about blocking, but I am more specifically speaking to the bottleneck being between ISP-A and ISP-B. The ability to transfer data between the two ISP's (Let's call that Capacity) is determined by the connection between them. If the Capacity between ISP's is not enough to handle the actual traffic between ISP's Capacity needs to be upgraded. Who pays for the upgrade ISP-A or ISP-B? It would be nice if they would just agree, but they often do not.
-ISP-A knows ISP-B customers will blame ISP-B
-ISP-B knows ISP-A customers will blame ISP-A
The ISP's fight it out or do nothing hoping the other ISP will pay for it in fear of losing customers.

Actually, I think you have #1 completely wrong. Someone else can step in if I am incorrect about this, but it has nothing at all to do with a dedicated connection, or a faster connection. It's actually just the application of QOS, Quality of Service, which prioritizes specific protocols over others, if a packet is going to take it's turn or if a packet is going to get priority over other packets. It's not a faster connection at all, just prioritized delivery.

QOS only really applies to internal network of ISP's. An ISP cannot guarantee priority of anything off their network.

I see your point about blocking, but I am more specifically speaking to the bottleneck being between ISP-A and ISP-B. The ability to transfer data between the two ISP's (Let's call that Capacity) is determined by the connection between them. If the Capacity between ISP's is not enough to handle the actual traffic between ISP's Capacity needs to be upgraded. Who pays for the upgrade ISP-A or ISP-B? It would be nice if they would just agree, but they often do not.
-ISP-A knows ISP-B customers will blame ISP-B
-ISP-B knows ISP-A customers will blame ISP-A
The ISP's fight it out or do nothing hoping the other ISP will pay for it in fear of losing customers.

There are also different kinds of connections which also need to be looked at. There is ISP B needs ISP A to connect to the world, then there is ISP A and ISP B just have a interconnection.

We are a small rural ISP. I have to pay for a circuit to connect to the rest of the world through a larger ISP since I can't connect to everyone. But we pay for our bandwidth. So for example, we use to have dual 1Gbps connections to two different larger cities. Once that got to about 700Mbps of usage we went up to 10Gbps on one of them. When that got to 7Gbps we went up to two 10Gbps, once the other cities link got to 800Mbps we bumped that to 10Gbps. In addition to that we peer with other services (Facebook, PSN, Xbox live...) to cut down on how much we actually hand over to the larger ISP to save ourselves some money. However that connection for us to get to the rest of the world is our connection. We see that as part of what the customer pays for already. So over the years going from T1s to gigabit to 10Gbps to knowing that we will need 1000Gbps at some point is on us. In this case, we are the customer of the larger ISP and have to pay for bandwidth just like anyone else. We don't try to find a way to make somebody else cover that or screw over our customers because we have hit some ceiling. We look at that as part of what they are paying us to do. if 1000 people are paying for up to 50Mbps. That would be 50,000Gbps of traffic, of course they aren't all using it so you only make sure you have what you need and just increase that as needed. So maybe you only need 500Mbps at first, then 1Gbps, then 10Gbps, then 40Gbps. That is just part of doing business though.

Now that is different than say a interconnection agreement. Were say Comcast sends traffic to AT&T and AT&T sends traffic through Comcast. In that case from what I have understood (given that I don't deal with that) it works similar to what I do with carrier traffic for phone service. I have a connection to another office and they send calls to me, I send calls to them and the cost is a wash to both of us as long as there is around the same number of calls going back and forth. Now if one side received far more calls then they sent then there would be a charge than for the sending party since they are making far higher use of the circuit. From what I was lead to believe that is how internet works also. If Comcast and AT&T from my example both send the same amount of data through then there is no cost of the circuit to either, if one sends a lot more than they receive they pay. I thought that was the whole issue with one of Netflix's ISPs at one point was that they were not happy that they were going to have to pay since they were sending a lot more than they were receiving and not wanting to pay. Again to my point I have made before though is that Netflix isn't the one at fault, but their ISP would be then as they charge Netflix for X amount of bandwidth to the world. So that still shouldn't be on the end user of any ISP. It should be between ISP A and ISP B. In a perfect world (which in the realm of ISPs doesn't always exist) both parties would pay for their side of the circuit and then terms would determine the cost of the data. That is how it works for smaller companies, but the larger the company the more complex they have to make it.

The problem with the second case however if lets say that is the problem. Lets say that A and B have no capacity. How does getting a customer going through that connection from A to B pay you money suddenly with the push of a button make just their traffic suddenly have all the needed capacity it needs? If that capacity between A and B itself was increased due to company X paying then not only would X see a change, but so would Y and Z. However if only X sees a change when X pays, and then Y has to pay for them to see a change, then Z has to pay for Z to see a change when all are going through A to get to B, then the issue is not a real restriction but instead is a artificial limitation created to limit that traffic.

QOS only really applies to internal network of ISP's. An ISP cannot guarantee priority of anything off their network.

Doh !

Really? You think I would try and say that an ISP can do something that's not within their network boundary?

You know, if you read the news there is a lot of talk about "Internet Fast Lanes" could be coming ...... what, they aren't here yet? Businesses like Netflix don't need dedicated lines to their ISP for isolating their streaming traffic, they place their content servers inside the ISP instead.

Here is a couple minutes research;
https://www.pocket-lint.com/apps/ne...t-fast-lanes-and-why-is-obama-stepping-in-now

According to Wired, complaints about an internet fast lane don't make much sense in 2014. Technology companies (such as Netflix and Google) already have a fast-lane setup within ISPs. They already run dedicated computer servers, called peering connections or content delivery servers, inside of ISPs.

Content delivery servers do exactly what you think: deliver popular photos, videos, and other content. But they deliver this content faster to home users (aka you), because they’re stationed inside of ISPs and are therefore closer to home users. Google was the first technology company to implement a content delivery server inside of an internet service provider years ago, so it could pipe content from data centers more quickly to you.

Now I am really certain that the post I quoted, #1, is right off the mark because the content servers are actually within the ISPs boundary.

But from the same article I do have a problem with this argument;
However not every technology company has the same financial resources and can afford content delivery servers or special arrangement. You should also keep in mind that most technology companies don't have enough traffic to require a Google-like setup inside of ISPs.

Now I'm not sure how you can control what an ISP would charge for this service, but I do know that the alternative to paying them for content hosting is damned expensive as well. You start hosting the storage capacity and network capability to stream like Netflix from your own location and that's damned expensive and frankly won't reach the same capability as ISP content hosted services anyway. The only way is to do it from the ISP, or you won't keep up period. So this part is really simple, pay up or sit in the back seat period.

But then the article goes here;
Netflix vs Comcast

Netflix and Comcast reached an agreement earlier this year, in which the video-streaming company agreed to pay Comcast for direct access to its broadband network (aka a fast-lane setup). Before the agreement, Netflix wanted to connect to Comcast's broadband network free of charge. It didn't want to pay for a broadband/speedier fast lane. The cable giant sought compensation for the heavy traffic though, arguing it was expensive to deliver internet video.

And it also becomes a little murky and what it sounds like Comcast wanted to also charge Netflix more for the bandwidth they were using to deliver that content to subscribers. Netflix was already paying for content hosting and now Comcast is going to bend them over for more money just because. Keeping in mind that by hosting that content within their ISP Comcast doesn't have to run dedicated lines to Netflix, their largest data subscriber who is responsible for the largest share of their traffic. As others have said, bandwidth that the customers are already paying Comcast to provide.

You ask me, Comcast had customers who wanted faster internet service for reliable streaming of video content and Comcast wanted those content providers to pay up and cover the expense of the upgrades. I don't think it's any more complex then that.

Last edited:

I have to say that I like part of what you are saying here about people being willing to listen and learn from each other, I just think you need to come to grips with the information I posted previously. Netflix, Amazon, and other content delivery providers don't use any kind of upstream special connection to broadcast their content to their ISP, their content resides on content servers within their ISP. There effectively is no upstream for them. This changes things just a bit in regards to many people's perceptions.

Back