specific ecc for 1920x ?

honegod

[H]F Junkie
is there a specific brand/series of ecc memory that is well established as working best, reliably, in this setup ?
the motherboard is a X399M taichi.

I am building a new computer to address shortcomings of my current I3 7350K system.(32gb @ 2400mhz, mboard chipset limit)

ecc memory seems to offer a significant benefit in data reliability, and reliability is a primary concern in this build.

my grasp of memory QUALITY is extremely poor, so my choosing a specific set of dram would be effectively random
with only the motherboard and cpu QVL as guide.

I think 64gb using all 4 slots would suit, 16x4,
but would 32x2, allowing a upgrade to 128 be superior, allowing for variables I do NOT see ?

all help and guidance in the selection of specific memory for this build will be critically assessed in the light of my current understanding,
and subsequently in the in the light of my understanding as it evolves as new understandings accumulate.

stick to the qvl. iirc, they are picky and the max that mobo supports is 4x16...

- 4 x DDR4 DIMM Slots
- Supports DDR4 3600+(OC) / 3200(OC) / 2933(OC) / 2667 / 2400 / 2133 ECC & non-ECC, un-buffered memory (U-DIMM)*
- Max. capacity of system memory: 64GB**

I used to be much better at this, that explains why I got 2 kits of gskill 3600, 2x16gb.
and not ecc which the qvl maxes out at 8gb sticks @ 2400 (ish)

since I swapped a pair of the 16gb for the 8gbx2 I initially was running in the I3 system (16gb was WAY cheaper than 32gb at the time I built I3) and found it to be good
I am left with 2 empty slots on threadripper.

since I gotta buy memory anyhow, seeing if common experience has demonstrated any ecc memory that is NOT on the qvl as working great,
I ask here.

this quest is not moving forward, the asrock qvl lists 3 approved ecc sticks, none of which are available from amazon or newegg.

I would very much like to max out the motherboard capacity, but I have not found anything available for sale, new in warrantee.

If you have a Threadripper, you want 4 sticks. (It's a quad-channel CPU.) There isn't much out there in the way of unbuffered ECC, and I suspect you'll just have to take what you can get and hope it runs. Don't push your luck with the speed. I imagine that you should be able to get 3000 MT/s running, if you can find suitable memory and if you aren't terribly unlucky.

If you have a Threadripper, you want 4 sticks. (It's a quad-channel CPU.) There isn't much out there in the way of unbuffered ECC, and I suspect you'll just have to take what you can get and hope it runs. Don't push your luck with the speed. I imagine that you should be able to get 3000 MT/s running, if you can find suitable memory and if you aren't terribly unlucky.

Yep. 3000 is relatively easy to do with 4 modules on these chips. That's what I ran on mine.

Yep. 3000 is relatively easy to do with 4 modules on these chips. That's what I ran on mine.
ECC ? what brand, and where did you get it from ?
I very much want to end up with 64gb of ecc, as fast as available, filling up all 4 slots.

ECC ? what brand, and where did you get it from ?
I very much want to end up with 64gb of ecc, as fast as available, filling up all 4 slots.

No, not ECC. For my purposes lower latencies and higher clocks are more beneficial than ECC is.

If you have a Threadripper, you want 4 sticks.
yes, I got 2 sets of 16gbx2 gskill 3600 to top it off at 4 sticks totalling 64gb.
what I WANT is 4 sticks of ecc totalling 64gb at whatever speed but I CAN'T FIND ANY !!!

yes, I got 2 sets of 16gbx2 gskill 3600 to top it off at 4 sticks totalling 64gb.
what I WANT is 4 sticks of ecc totalling 64gb at whatever speed but I CAN'T FIND ANY !!!

Why is it you think you need ECC?

Why is it you think you need ECC?
obviously, because I am clueless. (not sarcasm, a rational assessment of my mental state.)
ecc is more gooder, like the threadripper is gooder.
cosmic rays frighten me, anything that helps reduce the odds that the gods will play pinball inside my data sounds like a good idea.
the sticks I found on amazon are registered, which as far as I can tell will not work in my x399 which wants unregistered ecc.
since I need to buy 2 sticks to replace the ones I looted for my rebuild of the home pc, going ecc seemed to be a good idea.

Kingston (for one) makes the stuff you want; not sure where to buy it retail though. If I were you, I'd go all-ECC because who knows if the motherboard will do error correction if only some of the sticks are ECC.

For my first Ryzen build (a 2700X) I got an X470 Taichi motherboard because I heard it supported error correction. I've never had a problem with non-ECC memory, though. (I would be much more comfortable with ECC, and I wish it were more commonly available and supported!)

I'd go all-ECC
oh HAIL yes !
it bothers me greatly that I cannot just casually whip out the debit card and get a matched 4 stick set of rtx 4090 grade ecc
since ddr5 is out now, ddr4 is gonna get scarce, after it drops in price a bit, since production will dwindle .
so now seems like the time to finish up the threadripper system.

I would be much more comfortable with ECC, and I wish it were more commonly available and supported!
exactly.

a couple hours later...

CDW sold me a 21" crt monitor to play quake with on my win98 machine, and they are still in business !

cdwmicron1.jpg

this is a dual rank stick using Micron modules

they also offer a single rank stick priced similarly, but not in stock.
but I think dual rank is better ?????????

$300 for 64gb

sounds good.
is there a simple obvious thing I am missing that makes this a silly notion ?

still searching.
is this any better ??
it costs more than twice as much as the previous NONsamsung piece.
but is this the fabled "B"die ?
how does one tell ?
hgamsam1.jpg

Yes, the stick you posted is b-die. Samsung actually specifies the exact DRAM chips used in its sticks when a corresponding datasheet is available. Samsung's DIMM naming scheme also includes the DRAM chip family right in the name, M391A2K43BB1. For third-party sticks, you are often forced to examine the DRAM chips instead. Years ago you could safely assume a third-party stick using Samsung chips was b-die by the density/organization; that's not the case anymore.

M391A2K43BB1 datasheet (DIMM)
K4A8G085WB datasheet (DRAM)

Zen1 can be finicky with RAM, especially when the DIMM count goes up. First gen threadripper + Samsung b-die is a known-good combination. I don't blame you for balking at that module price though.

don't blame you for balking at that module price though.
what really stirred my oats is that the Q after CRC in M391A2K43BB1-CRCQ means it is a USED stick.
at twice the price of inferior NEW sticks.
act NOW before they get useder.

pay to play, aye.

what really stirred my oats is that the Q after CRC in M391A2K43BB1-CRCQ means it is a USED stick.
at twice the price of inferior NEW sticks.
act NOW before they get useder.

pay to play, aye.
Sorry for reviving a thread that’s over a year old! Can I ask, what did you go for in the end?

I have a x399-M Taichi with TR 1920X which I use to run TrueNAS Scale. It’s been running for the last year with 16GB (2x 8gb) 3200mhz non-ECC RAM. This was RAM I already had laying around so it wasn’t my preferred choice but, I got the rest of the system for free (minus the drives) so I cant complain.

TrueNAS is currently using 100% of the RAM and I’m starting to feel the impact of only having 16GB, so my plan is to transition to ECC unbuffered RAM and maximize the board's capacity to avoid having to touch it again.

Reading through this thread and the aforementioned “X399 MB ECC Confirmation/Clarification Thread”. It seems there is a preference of using Samsung b-die but I’m not sure how important that is for my use case, after all I’m not going to be overclocking the RAM or gaming on this system, just running a NAS with a single Linux Virtual Machine running 20ish Docker containers.

I've come across a Kingston Server Premier 16GB 3200MHz ECC unbuffered RAM module at the price of £40 per stick.
KSM32ED8/16MR
https://business.currys.co.uk/catal...88-pin-3200-mhz-pc4-25600-unbuffered/P291677P

I'm currently considering purchasing this for a trial run, since I can always return it if it doesn't work quite right. However, I can’t help but feel I have overlooked something, especially given the seemingly low cost at £40 per stick. Have I missed something obvious?

Thanks in advance :)

Sorry for reviving a thread that’s over a year old! Can I ask, what did you go for in the end?
sorry right back.
about 3 months later I had a stroke and lost english and math.
which stopped all computer mods.
I have largely recovered words, but numbers is still solidly damaged.

I have found nothing I like for memory in this system.

stick to the qvl. iirc, they are picky and the max that mobo supports is 4x16...
Unfortunately, sticking to a QVL for a motherboard years after it stopped production is basically impossible. Within a given model or series of RAM, manufacturers may change the specs on the RAM and part numbers for it over time. RAM is discontinued and replaced all the time by manufacturers based on the chips they get from Hynix, Samsung, or Micron which can also vary from batch to batch. If you stick with four modules instead of going to eight, you shouldn't have too much trouble out of those old Threadripper CPU's. Where you run into problems is trying to achieve higher memory clocks which you won't really be doing with ECC memory anyway.

Unfortunately, sticking to a QVL for a motherboard years after it stopped production is basically impossible. Within a given model or series of RAM, manufacturers may change the specs on the RAM and part numbers for it over time. RAM is discontinued and replaced all the time by manufacturers based on the chips they get from Hynix, Samsung, or Micron which can also vary from batch to batch. If you stick with four modules instead of going to eight, you shouldn't have too much trouble out of those old Threadripper CPU's. Where you run into problems is trying to achieve higher memory clocks which you won't really be doing with ECC memory anyway.
that reply was a year and a half ago...
yeah, i know.

that reply was a year and a half ago...
It doesn't matter. A year after a board's release you'd have a hard time sticking to the QVL. Not saying its impossible but modules get discontinued or change specs all the time. Of course, some companies like ASUS do update their QVL for a time but this isn't always the case with most brands.

It doesn't matter. A year after a board's release you'd have a hard time sticking to the QVL. Not saying its impossible but modules get discontinued or change specs all the time. Of course, some companies like ASUS do update their QVL for a time but this isn't always the case with most brands.
yes, it does, it was a year and a half ago and at the time, lots were still available, and several still are.
yeah, i know.

Back