Spec Ops The Line, Blacklight dev shutting down

Plague_Injected

Supreme [H]ardness
http://techraptor.net/content/zombie-studios-shuts

Zombie Studios, who have been around for more than 20 years, is closing down. The studio was responsible for creating the Spec Ops and Blacklight games. As well as more recently the survival horror game Daylight.

Now with Zombie Studios shutting down, it has been announced that Builder Box will take over the Free-to-play FPS Blacklight. This new studio is made up of the current staff that worked on Blacklight: Retribution.

This sucks. I loved Spec Ops.

Spec Ops was one of my favorite games actually, very intense story, wonderful gameplay. Sheesh, kinda sad.

Pity. I thought Spec Ops overachieved on several levels.

+1 for Spec Ops
Daylight otoh was meh at best, very meh.

If you haven't already then go and get Game Dev Story on any mobile platform. You'll get an idea of what game development is really like. When you hit a blockbuster (and Spec Ops wasn't one, even though it was an awesome game), you just keep iterating on it (CoD anyone). Other than that it's hard to come up with unique creative content time and again to keep the cash coming in.

Spec Ops The Line was done by Yager, not Zombie. Zombie did the older games in the series until Covert Assault. This is definitely a different kind of studio closure than we're used to seeing these days. It's a bit less sad than them closing down due to the company failing, still they've been around a while and it is surprising to learn.

Blacklight Retribution is a good game! I hope they don't mess anything up.

Zombie studios did a great job with it. Sad to see them go. Thanks for the heads up!

I've been playing BL:R since beta. Zombie Studios has been around a long time though, at least most of the BL:R creators are the people who still own it.

I love Spec Ops The Line, although I had to stop playing it partway through, not sure if it's my military background or what, but it was REALLY bothering me and after the first couple levels I would feel like shit after playing it.

I've never had that reaction to a game before, and I have to give props to those who were able to achieve it.

I actually just played (and finished) Spec Ops recently. Very good story/concept, though I have to say I found the actual gameplay extremely generic and repetitive.

There was this one part where you have to "take cover at the yacht" that I just could not fucking get past on Normal...stupid bullshit where you die almost instantly, and even if you almost make it to the next checkpoint, you get blasted and have to replay the whole thing over again. I have never been more frustrated with a game in recent memory. Eventually I had to just kick it down to Easy to finish the damn game.

Back