Speakers for under 350

Sowexly

Gawd
Looking for some solid speakers to replace my HD 650s I can keep my Essence STX to power them if necessary, willing to buy used.

Looking at Corsair AP2500 ATM but not sure if that's the best bang/buck @200 USD
I should add I know the quality will be lower and I don't exactly need studio monitors or equivalent this will be for playing rock band and general college party stuff.

Last edited:
I've been out of the loop with computer audio tech for a while now but you can get great home audio equipment used for that price. I'd recommend searching craigslist. You can pick up older high-end speakers, amps and receivers for dirt cheap. Understandably this isn't what you are asking but I feel you can get a lot more bang for your buck this way. I made the switch from using a soundcard and PC Speakers to using real stereo equipment and I'm hooked!

Obviously space is limiting factor but a great setup can be had for that price. I'm using vintage (early 80's) Bose 301 Series II bookshelf speakers that I bought for $100 off craigslist. They look and sound wonderful, way better than anything logitech could have offered me. A little hunting can go a long way, good luck!

+1 for used.
+1 for getting real equipment rather than computer speakers

What kind of setup are you looking for; 2.0, 2.1, 5.1? What kind of music do you listen to? I agree with what others have said about quality used equipment, but I'll offer some other options.

If you want a high quality destktop 2.0 setup, the Swan M200MkII comes to mind, but they're currently out of stock and I don't know when they'll be available again. If you want to go with a nice desktop 2.1 system, the Swan M50W comes to mind, but also out of stock. These both get really good reviews but I haven't heard them myself.

m200mkii_main.gif

M50w%20system%20800.jpg

Another option you have is going with a pair of bookshelfs and amplifier. Later on, you have the option of adding a subwoofer as budget allows. I would recommend going with one of Polk's new Monitor bookshelf speakers because they're generally very good with music for the price. They come in black and cherry. You can pair it up with either a cheap stereo receiver or a 2 channel amplifier like Emotiva's mini-x a-100 or Dayton's APA150. All cables/wires from monoprice (speaker/rca/etc).

polkmonitorbookshelfsma.jpg

Later on you can add a subwoofer like the following; BIC F12, Polk PSW505, BIC PL-200, Dayton's value offerings.

counterpoint

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Looking for a powerful 2.1 system, I listen to EDM and Electro mostly but I play Rock Band and other standard stuff for house guests.

Most people like solid bass, I don't care as long as it's not muddy and washed out.

Dayton Audio B652

BIC Formula F-12

Topping TP22 TK2050

You run the speakers by running wire from the amp into the sub and then out to the speakers. This allows you to control the volume of the sub and speakers together. That would make for a BOOMING system and you can upgrade the smaller speakers whenever. The smaller speakers are actually pretty decent however.

My vote would be for the Dayton BR-1's + amp of your choice.
skip the sub for now, add one later (ballpark good match $150-$300)

I can't say enough good things about the BR-1's. You have to solder the crossover, but it's easy as pie.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=300-640

The specs look pretty nice for those on paper for the price... Would be quite fun to build your own speakers, you could add in some better bracing and extra pollyfill while you're doing it.

BR-1s are good for the price, but they're not what I'd buy for a $300 budget (EDIT: With sub, however, they might be worth considering after all as that does adjust the budget to appropriate levels). B-652? Huh? They are also good for the money, but crap when compared to speakers in the stated budget. There is a fair difference between the B-652 and the BR-1, also.

Use a Dayton T-amp. No reason to spend this budget on the amp. The speakers are way more important. The amp is about $50. Either that or find a used stereo receiver in the $0-50 range. The T-amp is great for desktops, and will still blow away any computer speakers in power output.

Try some bookshelf speakers from brands like Paradigm (Atom, Titan, etc.), Ascend Acoustics, Definitive Technology, etc. Even Polk. Can get some pretty good options between like $100-250. If using on your desk, avoid dual-woofer models as they will be tougher to fit on a desk, they are intended to be further away from the listener, and are overall not necessary. I do like dual woofers for more of a home theater setup, though.

Last edited:
While I would recommend one ALWAYS listen to speakers first before buying, Infinity is ESPECIALLY one of the brands you must listen to before buying, because they are perceived by many to be VERY bright and often downright harsh sounding. For that $50/speaker, no matter what you do you won't get GREAT sound, so they are likely to compare reasonably well for most people. But I would definitely recommend listening first. And I would recommend that anyway.

Could always sell my Essence STX sound card to get an amp/receiver.
I really like the Swans ;D

I really like the Swans ;D

They are good for what they are, but they do NOT challenge the better setups with "regular" speakers we've been listing IMO. I've used some of their (Hi-Vi is the brand) drivers in my own DIY speakers. Some Hi-Vi stuff is good like the M4N midranges one of my speaker pairs use. Some of it, like every single one of their tweeters, is not very good. But of course, what brand is good at everything? (Almost) none, at least not the well-priced stuff.

The real potential of most Infinity Primus speakers is the off-axis response, which is good for a party situation. Ascend CBM-170 are my favorite speakers for off-axis response needs, but they have no low end (requires a subwoofer, which puts them out of the $350 price range.) Solid bass, sounds "okay" at all reflection points without room treatment -- some type of PA speaker setup maybe? Perhaps check Craigslist in your area for Tapco Thump speakers, since the newer Mackie rebadges will be out of your price range. You aren't going to find bass AND HD650-like depth to fill a room in active speakers for $350. You'll find on-axis accuracy, or you'll find boom in most cases, but not both.

Every single speaker mentioned in this thread will need a sub if good bass response is desired. I'm using Onix Reference 0.5 speakers on my desk currently (because upgrading monitors recently displaced my larger Onix Ref 1's :/) and they absolutely need a sub too. And they are at least on-par with anything mentioned in this thread. The Ref 1's were better than the 0.5s, but I'd still say they needed a sub. It also depends on one's own specific requirements, of course.

Bass response is desired, pretty much required.
Besides going with the AP2500 for an easy buy, I want to make sure I will feel the deep bass during EDM sessions.

Are you talking about the SP2500's? They are thoroughly unimpressive and the bass rolls off fast and long before it gets low. You are far better off getting a powerd sub plus t amp and bookshelf speakers.

Yeah the Corsair SP2500s my bad, I've heard good things about them and I realize that for $200 it's not going to be too amazing.

Fluance is also pretty good for the money and one of my friends has a setup from them (using similar front speakers to the ones linked by matteos) but I'm not sure large-ish tower speakers are what I recommend for college parties. I guess it sort of depends on how the room they are going to is set up.

Too bad size is a issue you can allways find older floor standing speakers for cheap, Ones with large woofers and high sensitivities.

Bic America FH-65B

BIC America F12

Dayton Audio DTA-1

Hope that is better. Pretty sure you will freak out over it. Pretty much as good as you can get NEW for a new setup and in your budget.

I would highly advise against the Corsair SP2500, and even the Swan M50W, simply because of the limited mid-range capability of the speakers. If you want speakers that are going to reproduce music more faithfully, quality bookshelfs are a must. I would also recommend a quality A/B amp or receiver over a T-amp if you're looking for high volume (just my opinion). I have both of the just discontinued Monitor II series bookshelfs, the Monitor30 and Monitor40, which are almost identical to their new line. I can tell you that they sound absolutely fantastic with all music, especially for the price I paid for them when they were on special. They are not bright at all but very neutral with a nice sound stage. For the price, I would highly recommend going with either the New Monitor 45B, Dayton BR-1, or the BIC DV62si. You can't go wrong with any of these. I would disregard what was said above about avoiding speaker with dual woofers since it is just flat out wrong. I would also disregard what was said about putting most of the money into the speakers and not worry about the amp. Good speakers are important, but a quality amp is just as important in my opinion. I think my recommendation would serve your purpose wonderfully and would leave enough money for a very good amp as well. If you're looking at receivers on the used market, be sure to look at the weight. Heavier units usually translates into better quality amplifier components. And since since you've got the room, you might also want to look into these: BIC DV84 (sold each, buy 2 to make a pair).

I think this would be out of your price range, but just for the heck of it I wanted to throw this out there: Arx A1b.

If they were 300 I would go for them, I could make room for them but I can't justify the price.

They sell cheaper floorstanders.... But anything less than these ones you'll probably want to upgrade after a few years.

These ones are $370 per pair shipped - no tax if you get them from manufacturer website...

The only sound signatures I can compare would be HD 650/595s and Ultrasone 900s
I dearly miss the signature of the 900s because they made my EDM and Techno amazing.

I think the Xonar STX is a solid amp but if you guys recommend otherwise I can sell it for an amp.

EDIT:
What other speakers could I pair with the F12s I don't want very bright speakers.

@matteos
Have you heard them?
Hows the bass response?
I can squeeze the extra cash for them but I would power them via my STX so I might need adapters.

Last edited:
Just trying to stay within the budget. I know the t-amp isn't the greatest but it suffices for a good temp job.

Ever hear the HSU speakers? Not really horns though. Damn fine imaging for gaming and techno/trance etc. Fun speakers.

Getting to the 900s level of detail will be tough. You need to spend most if not all of the budget on just two good speakers. The t-amp or even a cheaper Lepai will serve as power until you can get a better one. Your STX should be a good source for the sound so don't sell it for a receiver.

Really though, you can find killer gear used locally. Usually, craigslist is ok for that. People selling good used gear are generally fairly cool.

Otherwise, there is always audiogon, polk audio forums and the fs here of course.

Last edited:
These look nice too: Fluance SXHTBFR-BK & SXHTBFR but the BIC DV84 weighs a lot more than these.

Those BIC look interesting, I wonder how they sound, note two of the drivers aren't drivers.. they're passive radiators (basically an unconnected driver) but still, dual 8" woofers and dual 8" passive radiators for $150... That's a lot of stuff shoehorned in for not a lot of cash... Tweeter looks a little small though, 3/4"...might be harsh at the high end. Good reviews on Amazon though

There are two things that rub me wrong about passive radiators over ported reflex designs. You can easily determine Vas, given the materials by the speaker manufacturers are usually plainly listed. But Vb, against Fs with the other drivers in the box (as well as Q and other Thiele/Small parameters) becomes a complexity that you really have to be careful with if you can't audition the speakers first.

1. The reason reflex design is more commonly used, is because passive radiators if not designed perfectly with the load and volume of the enclosure will have a notched frequency response in the audible range. It isn't an expense thing, it's an easier design choice (ported that is.)

2. The low frequency roll off with a passive radiator design is steep, it doesn't slowly slope off like a ported design, it's a cliff of a drop.

That being said, BIC is a pretty solid speaker company, so I'm pretty sure they have their design right.

Noooooooooooo, please get a better quality amp than that.

Dude, not in the budget. Still beats the crap out of the amps in any "computer speakers." Old stereo receiver for super cheap is definitely an alternative if the space isn't at a premium though.

If the budget went up another 50-100 where are we putting this cash?
I'm assuming the Amp?

More into the speakers, or else you could go to something like a Denon AVR-1312 http://www.accessories4less.com/mak...-5.1-Channel-A/V-Home-Theater-Receiver/1.html. The Denon does make more sense at that budget if you ask me.

Not when he has an STX and just wants 2.1. A receiver would not be an upgrade in terms of sound quality nor does it have better sounding amplification than the t-amp.

I would still say spend as much as you can on the small speakers and just get the $50 t-amp and that sub. Upgrade the amp later. You will see the least amount of improvement spending another $100 on the amp vs another $100 on the speakers.

Arx A1b monitor loudspeaker

It has a 30 day money back. I would just get those and the t-amp. the sub can wait a few weeks. It is just bass.

I really would do that if I was buying new speakers bc i want to try them badly. Love that planar-magnetic tweeter.

http://www.theaudioinsider.com/product_info.php?products_id=65

Normally I'd agree with you, but one of the words he used in the OP is "party" and that says to me that maybe some power would be appreciated. Do I think it is an essential upgrade? No. Not unless he specifically he says he wants the extra power. The T-amp will be able to get fairly loud with a reasonably efficient speaker though. And if he said he could fit the tower speakers earlier then that says to me that he'd consider more "big sound" options if the budget allows.

Normally I'd agree with you, but one of the words he used in the OP is "party" and that says to me that maybe some power would be appreciated. Do I think it is an essential upgrade? No. Not unless he specifically he says he wants the extra power. The T-amp will be able to get fairly loud with a reasonably efficient speaker though. And if he said he could fit the tower speakers earlier then that says to me that he'd consider more "big sound" options if the budget allows.

Can't get to the sound quality level of the 900s without something having to be cut back on. Again, the amp is the one part of the chain that can be temporarily skimped on without a huge penalty to the sound.

A pair of tower speakers with higher efficiency would be a louder solution with the same amp. Just what towers? Too tired atm. Next man up.

Some options:

Boston Acoustics A250 $99.99/ea (qty 2 required)
Polk Audio R300 $79.99/ea (qty 2 required)
Polk Audio Monitor 55T $119.95/ea (qty 2 required)

Almost every single speaker I looked at was rated 89dB 1W/1m, from 4" woofer speakers to dual 6.5" woofer speakers. I call BS on however the heck they are rating these things. That stuff won't be as efficient as more pro-audio style stuff, but no way are ALL of these speakers 89dB 1W/1m.

Last edited:
Back