Speaker wall plates help

Joined
May 22, 2006
Messages
3,270
I've been finishing my basement and installed some speaker wire behind the walls for my rear speakers to be mounted near. I ran 14 gauge wire (and one run of 12 when I ran out of 14) but all the hardware stores I've checked only sell speaker wall plates that support up to 16 gauge wire. My wire is too large to fit into the hole on the tabs on the back.

Can I simply solder the wire straight to the tab without using the hole? I doubt this will degrade the speaker performance but just wanted to know if anyone has done this?

Or does anyone know of any good speaker wall plates that can handle up to 12 gauge wire?
 
Just get some plastic covers, and drill two holes for a pair of Radio Shack speaker binding posts. (You want the good-quality ones where you put the wire through a hole and twist down, not the spring clips.)
 
you can buy wall plates with binding posts for pretty cheap that will fit your wires.. I don't see anything wrong with soldering though as long as you don't heat up the plastic.
 
Back
Top