• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Speaker help?

Kid8

2[H]4U
Joined
Oct 19, 2005
Messages
2,110
Well i decided to save up some more money and get dif speakers than the ones i was originally concidering, plus the gf is gonna pay for some as a present, so i have it narrowed down to 2 choices really and want some opinions.

Which ones do you think will be best??

Daytons

or

Daytons

or

Celestion


And also I have no experience what so ever w/soldering and don't kno anything about speakers really, just what sounds good, so i was wondering how hard it would be to do the DIYspeakers?? And what is the diference between the 2 daytons? Thanks so much.
 
id personally get the JBL one looks like it can perform quite better as well
 
JBLs do indeed look better. If I had to choose blindly (i.e. w/o listening first) I'd go with them.
 
personally I'd go with celestion, they've got a fantastic reputation and have been around for ages. Plus the celestions I've heard have always outperformed the JBL's I've heard.
 
i was kind of thinking the same but wasn't sure bc i have never heard them and don't know anyone that carries them to listen to them. I have heard the E20s and if they sound better than the E20s I would be very pleased w/my purchase.
 
Havn't heard the celestion's, but I have listened to the E20's. For the price of around 200$us a pair, they were *ok* (especially compared to some of the other cheap carp out there that sells for more then two times as much), but if you can't find them for under 250$ then they no longer seem like a good deal to me.

Bottom line from me? If you can't audition them, stay away (under normal situations). Try and find local stores around you that sell speakers and start from there.

Still, ide be interested to hear what you end up getting.

~Hope this helps
 
Chair said:
personally I'd go with celestion, they've got a fantastic reputation and have been around for ages. Plus the celestions I've heard have always outperformed the JBL's I've heard.

IMHO, I would go with the JBL... I never heard a Celestion I liked. Though, I must say, they have some funky speaker designs that are very pleasing to the eye.
 
those look nice but are more than i want to spend...the twoc speakers i was talking baout i can get for 100-112 shipped.
 
Ha, the PartsExpress Dayton BR-1! (See my sig :cool: ) Indeed great speakers. I have been extremely happy with them for the 6 months I had them. You can search for my review on this forum if you feel like it. If you can go over the budget, definitely get the BR-1s--both speakers that you posted need a subwoofer, BR-1s don't. Their footprint is almost exactly 8.5x11 inches, so a regular sheet of paper will help you estimate how much of your desk space they'll take up.
 
Well i decided to save up some more money and get dif speakers than the ones i was originally concidering, plus the gf is gonna pay for some as a present, so i have it narrowed down to 2 choices really and want some opinions.

Which ones do you think will be best??

Daytons

or

Daytons

or

Celestion


And also I have no experience what so ever w/soldering and don't kno anything about speakers really, just what sounds good, so i was wondering how hard it would be to do the DIYspeakers?? And what is the diference between the 2 daytons? Thanks so much.
 
The sensitivity of the shielded version (which I have) is 83 dB, not 85. Not a big difference, but it's not stated on the website, only in the manual.

Assembling them is not hard. I suggest asking someone who can solder to assemble one crossover for you, then doing the 2nd one yourself under their supervision. Learning to solder is not that hard, and the BR-1 kit is a good one to learn soldering on--all the components are huge and robust, it's VERY unlikely that you will e.g. overheat something to the point of frying it. I suggest using a 40 Watt soldering iron for them.
 
E-20's = crap. For like 10 more dollars, the E30's will sound much much much fuller.

go for the E30's please, if you like the JBL sound.


I have never heard the dayton's BR-1's, but they sure as hell are getting good ratings over at AVS and AUDIOHOLICS.... The Athena B1.2's for around 130 are REALLY hard to beat also, some think they are too bright, others love them.
 
sorry changed my original post to reflect the new speakers im considering. i llok into those other speakers you talked about, any kno how on the celestions?
 
Back
Top