• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

SPDIF OUT - ?? What to Do ??

mj-barton

Limp Gawd
Joined
Aug 28, 2003
Messages
158
I have been using my analog port from onboard sound on my Abit AT-7 motherboard. I have discovered I have a SPDIF OUT. I am not entirely sure what it does or what I could use it for. I am hoping the experts at [H] can fill me in. My current system is a Klipsch 2.1 and for silence I use my Bose QC2s. How could I use the SPDIF OUT to my advantage. The onboard sound (analog) is horrible.

Thanks
 
Most SPDIF aware devices are home theater receivers and the like. There are some high end speaker setups, like the Logitech Z-5500s, that have SPDIF in. For your Klipsch speakers and your headphones, you are stuck with analog.

AC97 audio quality is spotty at best. Your only choice is an add-in sound card - if you care about EAX and FPS in your games, pick up an Audigy 2 ZS, if you're an audiophile on a budget, Chaintech AV-710, and if you're willing to shell out some bucks, an M-Audio.
 
Chaintech AV-710 has been brought up frequently. It has been called Best Bang for $$. I'll have to check it out.
 
I'll be purchasing a laptop in the fall of 05 for college. The M-Audio (external USB) looks really good. I would beable to use it as a "reciever" and hook up my Klipsch 2.1 speakers and subwoofer.

The only thing is that:
SPDIF In: Coaxial
SPDIF Out: Coaxial

I'd wish it where optical.

Anybody have thoughts on this card.
 
I'm confused about the bump, because it seems as though your question was answered, but If you want to use the spdif out you need something that can accept a digitial input.

There are two types of digital output - optical and spdif. Optical is usully considered the best as there is absolutely 0 degredation in sound quality, however spdif is still transmitting a digital signal to a receiver.

In either case, this is THE way to go for a surround sound system, for a 2.1 it would only allow you to bi-pass the digital-analog converter of the onboard sound which is sometimes not up to par.

hopefully this answers all of your questions?

 
Since your question has been answer, I have nothing to say.


Oh wait.......

Fix the spelling in your sig.
 
My question was about external sound cards. (third post) Its about the M-Audio. What do you guys think of it? Are there any better ones out there (in price). I'll use it for college.
 
u could get the Audigy2 ZS notebook if you are getting it for ur laptop... I found them for about $85 online. The also have digital i/o
 
magnetik said:
u could get the Audigy2 ZS notebook if you are getting it for ur laptop... I found them for about $85 online. The also have digital i/o


Is the Audigy2 ZS a "non-resampling card" and is the transmition through the card, ASIO [definition]?
 
Back
Top