spanning two 750gb hard disks in windows 7

rfadream

Limp Gawd
Hi guys I have a question about spanning hard disks in windows 7.

Will I need to delete both 750gb partitions before being able to spann them? i have both 750's about 80% full. i could back up to another place and wipe both but i am wondering if this is necessary or not.

If I did span the 2 disks and then I reformatted my windows 7 system drive which is on a separate hard drive what will happen? like if i wiped windows 7 and installed windows xp would windows xp still recognize the ~1.4terabyte spanned volume?

if i span the 2 disks and later decide i want to separate them again is there any way to do it cleanly without having to manually backup everything to another location?

Do you plan on spanning them from within Disk Management or from a controller / motherboard controller?

i was planning to do it from windows 7 disk management, why? is there some advantage to doing it from a board controller? not even sure if my dfi dk-p35 t2rs has anything like that.

Will I need to delete both 750gb partitions before being able to spann them? i have both 750's about 80% full. i could back up to another place and wipe both but i am wondering if this is necessary or not.

You will need to delete both 750GB partitions in order to span them. You will need to back up the information somewhere.

If I did span the 2 disks and then I reformatted my windows 7 system drive which is on a separate hard drive what will happen? like if i wiped windows 7 and installed windows xp would windows xp still recognize the ~1.4terabyte spanned volume?
Not sure if Windows XP can recognize arrays created by Windows 7. However I think Windows 7 can recognize arrays created by Windows XP. However if you use the motherboard's onboard RAID controller to create the array, both OSes should see it without issue.
if i span the 2 disks and later decide i want to separate them again is there any way to do it cleanly without having to manually backup everything to another location?
No way to do so.

Back