Space sim games?

Evochron Mercenary happens to be on sale for $12.49 on Steam until 4pm Thursday.

Evochron looks cool first ive heard of it. shame i cant buy it right now tho. ill have to wait.

Just saw a mention of an interesting kickstarter on another forum. Starlight Inception. Apparently the game is inspired by Wing Commander, X-wing and Freespace, but mixes in what they call a fresh approach as well.

Just saw a mention of an interesting kickstarter on another forum. Starlight Inception. Apparently the game is inspired by Wing Commander, X-wing and Freespace, but mixes in what they call a fresh approach as well.

Yeah I linked to that one about a dozen posts ago in this very thread. lol Thanks for supporting it as well though. :)

I just put my $15 in. I have some doubts but I can't yell about more space shooters if I don't support em when they come around. :)

Freelancer 2 was a good one for space combat, the most it delved into landing on planets was asking permission and then watching a cut scene of the landing at this wonderful new space port, plenty of mods for that one, Elite 2 allowed planetary landings, but I have no idea if that ran on anything above DOS or Windows 95 combat was pretty much automatic at whatever system you jumped to, always some arse pirate with a buddy waiting to obliterate your under powered, no real firepower beginners spacecraft.

Nexus: The Jupiter Incident was a good game as far as big ship combat went, think of Eve minus worrying about resources or profit, and just pure mission based battles, aside from background objects the ships, weapon fire, and explosions all looked pretty good for a 2004 game engine $9.99 on STEAM.

Evochron Mercenary happens to be on sale for $12.49 on Steam until 4pm Thursday.

This is an amazing indie game made on i believe DarkBasic, by basically one dude.

If you check out his forums, he has some amazing plans for that series which include getting out of your ship after you've landed on a planet so you're in a fuckin MECH.

I've never had so much fun just flying around in space, not to mention everything else you can do in that game.

Evochron looks a bit dated though doesn't it? The ship textures repeat and are just oldschool bumpmapped I think.

Is Eyefinity supported at all?

It does look a little dated, but i found quite a few mods which beef up that aspect of the game.

You'll have to check their forums for eyefinity, i don't have a clue.

Evochron Mercenary offers:

Support for extremely high resolutions, such as 2560X1600 single monitor and 3840X1024 triple monitor resolutions.

Supports Track IR

A full list of features is available in the faq.

Evochron looks a bit dated though doesn't it? The ship textures repeat and are just oldschool bumpmapped I think.

Is Eyefinity supported at all?

I only had a few minutes to play, but I fired it up on my 3x1 Eyefinity rig and it works... though it is stretched a bit. It's not perfect but it looks like it'll be playable even if it doesn't get any better with some tweaking.

Last edited:
Backed it yesterday, they are soooooo close to their goal with so little time left, need a miracle.

A good mention by Notch or someone would help so much, or a good high end backer.

I really hope it makes it, I mean I have seen a TON of people over the years on this forum, and others, begging for a new space sim, a wing commander/fs style, and this is what he mentions are his main influences for the game.

They must have lost a big backer or two overnight. They were at $122,000 last night.

I put $30 on it, but it doesn't look like it is going to make it.

They must have lost a big backer or two overnight. They were at $122,000 last night.

I put $30 on it, but it doesn't look like it is going to make it.

They need a BIG gaming news outlet, or multiple ones to pick up the story if they're going to make their deadline in less than 9 hours.

Does anyone know what happens with KickStarters that don't hit their goal in the given amount of time? This one seems like if it went on for just another week they'd be able to get off the ground...

It´s the strangest and most tragic thing that the space sim genre died. I would never have placed my bets on that in 95.

The technology is there, seamless travel between ship and planets, already possible 5 years ago. Problem is creating all the content. These games require huge teams of artist and long production schedules. And for some odd reason they are deemed too narrow for investors to flock to.

Personally I am still hoping for Bioware to some day pick up this genre again. They have the scope and ability (plus popularity) to pull something like this off.

See the fail that is SWTOR. Then pick another company to pick it up...

I'm surprised no mentioned Wing Commander Saga it's a Freespace 2 total conversion. It's pretty good, not amazing but given what it is pretty good. It should make any Wing Commander fans happy.

SWEET, Starlight Inception made it's goal :D, so we have that to look forward to when it comes our next year or so.

SWEET, Starlight Inception made it's goal :D, so we have that to look forward to when it comes our next year or so.
Nice! I feel like my $30 is already money well spent. Even if the game disappoints or even worse, never comes out, at least we have shown that there is a market and a desire for space shooters still. Now let's hope they deliver and give us a great game!

Fun fact: the guy they got to do the music wrote the song that you constantly hear at the Epcot Center.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dfz8wWKW9Oc

Nice! I feel like my $30 is already money well spent. Even if the game disappoints or even worse, never comes out, at least we have shown that there is a market and a desire for space shooters still. Now let's hope they deliver and give us a great game!

Absolutely. This is great news, a few of my friends decided to pitch in last minute as well. Excited for this. I can't imagine what a good feeling it must be as an indie developer. That kind of money doesn´t go far though.

Absolutely. This is great news, a few of my friends decided to pitch in last minute as well. Excited for this. I can't imagine what a good feeling it must be as an indie developer. That kind of money doesn´t go far though.

I was really glad to see they made it. I know it's not as big as some of the other KickStarters we've seen, but it really does seem like Garry knows how to work on a shoe string budget. I'm not expecting pure greatness, but giving someone as passionate about this genre as him enough to get things off the ground is pretty cool nonetheless. Besides, if this one turns out to be pretty good, the possibility of a bigger budget sequel would be cool.

Last good one I played was Freelancer and of course that was lacking in many ways, but I did like the ability to customize loadouts and stuff. Just wish I could have kept one of each class of ship in a private yard or something.
We need another one of those only with a more detailed universe and more goodies to collect.

EVE is not a good substitute, too much grinding and not enough action.
I have X-Wing Alliance but thats not fantastic either. Guess I'll try some of the things mentioned on Steam and wait for those Kickstarter games to come around.

I posted this in another thread but Skyjacker looks pretty hot. They have a pretty robust modular ship building system which translates into some awesome ship destruction allowing for the destruction of independent components on ships and I'm not just talking sub systems. They've been working on this game for a while and the their Kickstarter is for final polish to allow them to truly make the game they've been deaming of. This world they've created seems to be a passion for them, they've even written a few novels for it.

Their Kickstarter page is here http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/digitilus/al-skyjacker and links to their alpha demo here:

For US located recipients:

http://download.devkapi.com/skyjacker_install.zip

http://thewebworks.org/skyjacker_install.zip

http://www.believe.vg/skyjacker/skyjacker_install.zip

For Western Europe:
http://188.40.83.198/skyjacker_install.zip

This "demo" truly is an Alpha created for internal studio use only, they didn't really plan on releasing it for public viewing but because their backers really wanted to see it they did some quick last minute alterations to make it more end user friendly.

Also, when reading the Kickstarter page just keep in mind that English is not their first language and there is a bit of a cultural difference between them and a lot of us when discussing game development and rewards but they seem to be doing a great job at altering the reward tiers to better suit their backers. As excited as I am for Starlight inception I think I may be looking forward to Skyjackers a bit more.

Last edited:
There is a Space Shuttle simulator, it's pretty technical though but pretty dang realistic. I am not sure about the graphics, I haven't played it myself, but it may be something you are interested in.

I was really glad to see they made it. I know it's not as big as some of the other KickStarters we've seen, but it really does seem like Garry knows how to work on a shoe string budget. I'm not expecting pure greatness, but giving someone as passionate about this genre as him enough to get things off the ground is pretty cool nonetheless. Besides, if this one turns out to be pretty good, the possibility of a bigger budget sequel would be cool.

Hopefully they can raise more funds during development. With more good content to show, they might be able to attract more funders, big and small.

3rd person traveling with heavy focus on trading and worst of all 3rd person ship combat click fest... not exactly a space SIM IMHO. I was beta testing EVE btw, along with friends who are all into the old space SIMs, we all jumped ship when realizing the game mechanics. I think EVE attracts a different player base because of what it is.

Saw the thread bumped, and figured I'd ask here:

Any news on the new X game? I've invested over 200 hours in X3:TC (probably my third all time favorite game). It seems that Egosoft is being pretty closed about it.

I would be completely fine with X3:TC and a huge graphics bump (not that its' ugly, but it could use some "sharpening"), though I would prefer more. One thing I DON'T want is for them to dumb down the controls. Once you've got the controls for the game down (or use a Joystick and map them out decently), dog fights are just amazingly fun.

I'm looking forward to X Rebirth as well. I haven't heard much that's recent, but from what I've read, it'll support multicore CPUs, a full cockpit view, and will be at least as moddable as previous games.

I'm still eager to see the 2.0 release of the X-Tended Mod for X3:TC. Even the feature list for the 1.2 version of the mod was pretty impressive with it's changes and additions.

Back