Space Hulk: Deathwing

Just waiting for reviews

Game is still on sale they extended it smart move....

Sweet- how cheap is it?

I can't see the price at work, but GMG has it for 15% off (for signing in?) and a 10% coupon code that they emailed me.

Last edited:
Reviews are kinda negative with keyboard mapping and controller support isn't all there.

I don't think the player base will be there a month from now though I just think the Warhammer series has been milked to the bone. The last Warhammer game that really got me pumped was Warhammer Online which was Mythic's baby basically and they shut it down been then brought it back but it's not supported.

Yup, it appears there are massive optimization issues and crashes.

Reviews are kinda negative with keyboard mapping and controller support isn't all there.

I don't think the player base will be there a month from now though I just think the Warhammer series has been milked to the bone. The last Warhammer game that really got me pumped was Warhammer Online which was Mythic's baby basically and they shut it down been then brought it back but it's not supported.

The last one that I played and really liked was the Space Marine game that because the foundation for the Eternal Crusade debacle.

Some people are saying it's awesome looking just not willing to take the risk.

It's....OK. I haven't had any crashes yet but it could definitely stand some more optimization work. I do like how they've blended some of the original Space Hulk table-top game into it. But, I can see it getting a touch repetitive. However, I am still looking forward to trying it in multiplayer with friends.

Absolutely loving it. Graphics is great, the atmosphere of the hulk is nice too - those first scenes, when you walk through scriptorium, and seeing only stealers sneaking around. And after just waiting for the ambush they come - from ceiling, vents, floor, and you lay holy bolter fire. Brings a bit of feeling of AvP games, until you realise, that you are not single survivor after single xenomorph decimated your squad, but Emperor's Angel of Death, veteran of hundreds of years of battle.

They put well the tactical dreadnought armour - no jumping, no climbing, just a walking tank, exterminating xenos left and right. Or when you fight the "last stand" against hordes of aliens. This is how a wh40k shooter should feel.
Plot looks great too, but they consulted with Gave Thorpe, and he is Black Library expert about Dark Angels.

One thing I hate is recoil. There is no recoil in terminator armour. Servomotors of Indomitus pattern take care of this, even with assault cannon. The other is command wheel, but I bonded commands to naga side panel and don't use it :)

Absolutely loving it. Graphics is great, the atmosphere of the hulk is nice too - those first scenes, when you walk through scriptorium, and seeing only stealers sneaking around. And after just waiting for the ambush they come - from ceiling, vents, floor, and you lay holy bolter fire. Brings a bit of feeling of AvP games, until you realise, that you are not single survivor after single xenomorph decimated your squad, but Emperor's Angel of Death, veteran of hundreds of years of battle.

They put well the tactical dreadnought armour - no jumping, no climbing, just a walking tank, exterminating xenos left and right. Or when you fight the "last stand" against hordes of aliens. This is how a wh40k shooter should feel.
Plot looks great too, but they consulted with Gave Thorpe, and he is Black Library expert about Dark Angels.

One thing I hate is recoil. There is no recoil in terminator armour. Servomotors of Indomitus pattern take care of this, even with assault cannon. The other is command wheel, but I bonded commands to naga side panel and don't use it :)
Yeah I have to agree with what you said. Stupid recoil and the command wheel is what's annoying me so far too.

First, the pluses:
The game is a ton of fun, and quite atmospheric. I spent more than an hour in the first mission just wandering around and ignoring the main objectives -- there were quite a few nods towards the original Space Hulk video game (from 1992), which I was a big fan of (also played tabletop back in the 90s). The AvP feeling is real, and I panicked a couple of times when the rush got too hot and became close combat oriented. The "walking tank" feeling is great, and really forces you to look at the map for planning (not to get stuck in ambush-worthy areas, and to note chokepoints for mass Genestealer massacres).

Now for the minuses:
  • Bugs. Had immediate issues with visuals and sounds on the first run -- downscaled visuals (wouldn't allow me to go to 4K on my 4K TV) and sound completely cutting out after the first 2 seconds (not even at the menu screen yet). Disabling Zotac's Firestorm (MSI Afterburner-like utility) and disabing my Sound Blaster X7 Limited Edition "remedied" those issues (had to resort to my Sound BlasterX G5 USB sound card).
  • Art Direction. They were really close with this one, almost perfectly encapsulating the 40K Gothic grandeur/decay/despair, but something is off with the art direction -- I can't place my finger on it yet. It's like 8.5/8.75 out of ten (when it definitely looked like 9.2+/10 in the trailers). In-game text is, surprisingly, "Ariel" font, and not nearly grimdark enough for 40K (a small bit of [legible] stylizing wouldn't hurt here -- there are some great examples in the 40K novels/codices).
  • AI (of your fellow Deathwing members) is clunky. Part of me still thinks that Republic Commando (a 10+ year old game) got it better than any other FPS so far in terms of easy squad positioning -- they had superimposed "holo-images" on possible locations of use for your team members, and each team member had a different role, so it all worked out very well, and was a good "educational process" that became practically mandatory, starting from mid-game. Also, your squadmates never seem to automatically check flanks and rear, meaning that they are overly dependent on you for their "auspex". What, don't they have radar, too? I strongly feel that having preset formations in this game for your Terminators would be a very good thing (even 4-5 basic ones would be a massive improvement).
  • Command Wheel is really poorly done, overly sensitive, and quite awkward to use. Crysis' command wheel was much more precise and responsive.
  • A few more comments from your Teminators wouldn't hurt. The pre-beta had too many, and now, it's a bit too quiet on comms.
  • There are some nice "background info" Mechanicus terminals/cogitators, but some dataslates wouldn't hurt, as well (need more atmospheric lore!). All I see are servo-skulls, far too many dead Techpriests, and not enough Servitor corpses (also, both Techpriests and Servitors only use 1 model apiece; there should be more variety, especially amongst the Servitors and higher-ranking Techpriests).
All that having been said, the game is definitely worthy of my $33 (or so), and is very promising; but still needs considerable polishing up to do (keep in mind that I only completed the first mission).

• Art Direction. They were really close with this one, almost perfectly encapsulating the 40K Gothic grandeur/decay/despair, but something is off with the art direction -- I can't place my finger on it yet. It's like 8.5/8.75 out of ten (when it definitely looked like 9.2+/10 in the trailers). In-game text is, surprisingly, "Ariel" font, and not nearly grimdark enough for 40K (a small bit of [legible] stylizing wouldn't hurt here -- there are some great examples in the 40K novels/codices).
This is a very good point. From the perspective of a long time 40K fan, the interface and much of the other artwork outside the level and character designs comes across as way too neat, tidy, and high tech. In this particular universe, that would fit more in line with the Tau.

This is a very good point. From the perspective of a long time 40K fan, the interface and much of the other artwork outside the level and character designs comes across as way too neat, tidy, and high tech. In this particular universe, that would fit more in line with the Tau.

IMHO, the devs should've gone with this (18 year old 40K game) approach for inspiration (especially in the first few cutscenes):

Visuals are dated (as in 1998 dated), but the music/sounds are on point. And the in-game music was practically a character in itself -- think "Gregorian Latin chants" (actually reminded of an "angry" version of the music in the first Conan the Barbarian movie, just after Conan's village had gotten massacred, and Conan's mother was defending him). Fitting for "monkish transhuman/post-human warriors of the grimdark future":

That game was quite tough, too, but the music/cutscenes/atmosphere were good for its time.

I like this game, runs surprisingly well on my 970 (more info in sig), going to make time for some co-op between this and Vermintide...

However today I was playing silky smooth first thing, and then when I came back back later, I ran into a slide show of 15-20 fps... No idea what I may have done...

Had to un-install and re-install the NVIDIA drivers, just the display driver portion, and things went back to butter 45-60~ fps most of the time, with no dips below 30...

Which got me into tweaking all day...

With possible gains of 19% GPU and 25% overall based on synthetics below...

upload_2016-12-18_23-30-55.png

upload_2016-12-18_23-31-5.png

My playable settings for the experiences described above...

upload_2016-12-18_23-29-59.png

Wow. Played some coop with two friends over the weekend. We tried the first chapter on normal difficulty and got our asses handed to us. The number and strength of the brood were much higher than during my single-player run.

Single player is all well and good, but this likes to happen randomly in multi... I still like it... I still need fewer bugs...

upload_2016-12-19_22-59-3.png

Usually happens when a game doesn't like your overclocking.

Still happened on stock clocks... That was my first thought...

OS factory reset plus 1.06 and 1.07 patches and MP is stable for me...

Last edited:
My game crashes if I leave too many other applications open, especially Outlook. Once I shut that down, I can go for a couple hours straight without a crash.

Biggest gripe I have with this game so far - at 5th chapter - is that the main sections are not used enough. Levels are big and we'll designed, but there is no incentive to actually go anywhere but mission goals. If the relics that can be found in other areas were changing weapon/armour/powers perks or added XP or such. Or if there were some bonus and secondary goals to visit more of the maps.

And one other thing - I'd rather have standard marine in Indomitus pattern than librarian. My soul of tabletop player with librarius conclave and grav-cents hates the librarian with so little powers, who has to rely on weapons to kill stuff. Sorry guys, librarian do not kill enemies with a heavy plasma or flame thrower :)

Biggest gripe I have with this game so far - at 5th chapter - is that the main sections are not used enough. Levels are big and we'll designed, but there is no incentive to actually go anywhere but mission goals. If the relics that can be found in other areas were changing weapon/armour/powers perks or added XP or such. Or if there were some bonus and secondary goals to visit more of the maps.

And one other thing - I'd rather have standard marine in Indomitus pattern than librarian. My soul of tabletop player with librarius conclave and grav-cents hates the librarian with so little powers, who has to rely on weapons to kill stuff. Sorry guys, librarian do not kill enemies with a heavy plasma or flame thrower :)

I use other directions for unbroken doors I can close and lock behind me after running past an unnecessary fight with an alien horde...

but there is no incentive to actually go anywhere but mission goals. If the relics that can be found in other areas were changing weapon/armour/powers perks or added XP or such. Or if there were some bonus and secondary goals to visit more of the maps.

Yeah, I'd like to see more custom variants of weapons (there is a good variety, but more never hurts). Besides what we've already stated, here's some more changes they could've/should've done:

• Player starts out as a sergeant, with a power sword that he can swing faster than an "average" Deathwing marine.
  • As the missions progress, player begins to experience visions and strange psychic feedback (missions at this point can be small-scale maps, a way for the beginning players to familiarize themselves with how to play)
  • After a mission where player & squad defeats a horde of Genestealer hybrids + Magus (is the Magus still canon for Space Hulk?), player character collapses in a cutscene, and is taken back to the main base (Deathwing battle barge), where he is investigated by one of the Dark Angel librarians, and found to be a latent psyker (apparently the presence of psykers on the Space Hulk, the Magus, and the imminent approach of the Tyranid Hive Fleet [psychically speaking, it's "Shadow in the Warp"] has triggered long-dormant psyker tendencies and traits within the player
  • Due to the uniqueness of the visions/feedback, it is decided by Belial (after consultation with the Librarius & Azrael) that the player will be trained as a Librarian (especially since no other Librarian has experienced similar visions/feedback).
  • The next few missions see the player being accompanied ONLY by a senior Librarian as the player is acclimated to their new psyker powers, and taught how to harness the Warp in a disciplined manner.
  • At some point, superior variants of Terminator armor may be discovered (Cataphractii, etc) via secret areas which grant more lore/information/side missions.
  • Mid/endgame options: secret areas/missions regarding the Fallen lead to unlocking Dreadnoughts as an option (on harder difficulty levels, this will include Contemptor and Leviathan Siege types)
  • Endgame option will also include the ability to use Centurion armor (with better marks/variants at harder difficulty levels). A possibility would be Artificer Armour as well (all the protection of Terminator armor in a Power Armor size, with a corresponding movement boost).
  • Encounters with Cypher may occur, depending on total relic/loot amounts, and lore recovery. Encounters with the Fallen should be a must.
  • Friendly AI improvement. PLEASE. The "friendly AI" we have now are incredible long-range shots who can't shoot for crap in close range, or are incredibly slow to respond/get into a defensive position when the Genestealer wailing is heard. As it is, they are worse than the PDF guys, let alone Imperial Guard.
  • Use of regular Space Marines/Space Marine scouts (possible plot scenario: due to lack of Terminator suits, regular Power Armor is used, with the premise to recover: ancient Terminator suits, dead Battle-Brothers w/said suits, or simply reconnaissance). Naturally, said Marines/scouts are far more mobile than a Terminator, and considerably more squishy. They should have access to Lascannon, Missile Launchers w/various ammo, Heavy Bolters, etc.
  • Storm Bolter should fire two shots at once, and have an impact on the enemy equivalent to a mini rocket (or, better yet, a gyrojet gun). Genestealer hybrids have mesh armor, which practically offers no protection (one of the more irritating parts of this game is that Hybrids can withstand 3-4 Storm Bolter shots, meaning 6-8 bolter shots, without worry, on normal settings).
  • Genestealer hybrids should have access to more weaponry, including lasguns. Possibly even lascannon (on higher difficulty levels).
  • Would like to see Orks/Eldar/Tau, even friendly Imperial Guard (this would be a nice nod to all those fans of that 3rd person FPS: Space Marine)
  • Higher difficulty levels should be rewarded with more lore (esp. about Fallen) and better custom weapons, to balance out "power creep" from the Genestealers.
  • Special endgame weapon rewards: Volkite weapons! :cool:
  • Bug issues need to be ironed out (amongst other things, despite the patch fixing some issues, wheneven I press the "W" key to move forward, and immediately press the "N" key afterwards (having already released the W key) for my Terminator squadmates to defend the area I'm moving from, the medic wastes a healing charge. With all due respect, Streumon Studio, WTF???
  • All this may require future expansion packs/DLCs
As it stands now, this game has the framework to be a real jumpstart for 40K FPS (which has badly needed it since Fire Warrior). I agree with those players who have said (on other forums) that this game feels rushed and incomplete -- but there is a LOT of potential here, it just needs to be implemented properly (and we haven't even gotten to the issues in multiplayer yet!).

I really really want this game to do well, but, as it stands, it feels about 40% complete. The devs (Streumon Studio) need to roll up their sleeves and start working like madmen to make it right. NO EXCUSES.

Some great points and ideas, for sure. But why did you have to resurrect the memory of Fire Warrior?! :D

I bought this for myself and coop buddies and they all refunded. Outside the window for me which means it haunts my library.

Comixbooks is right to use clunky as the primary adjective. I wouldn’t mind the clunkiness if there were an appropriate feeling of power to the suit. However, my coop group was repeatedly rolled with no idea how to improve or what we were doing wrong as the moment one of the mini boss genestealers would show up. The damn thing would one shot us and we couldn’t figure out kiting or getting it to switch aggro, and we had no clue as to what we needed to change or improve to deal with the situation. If the feedback loop were improved it wouldn’t have been as bad but it felt like a slightly less impenetrable, much slower, and equally confusing game as their first production, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

I bought this for myself and coop buddies and they all refunded. Outside the window for me which means it haunts my library.

Comixbooks is right to use clunky as the primary adjective. I wouldn’t mind the clunkiness if there were an appropriate feeling of power to the suit. However, my coop group was repeatedly rolled with no idea how to improve or what we were doing wrong as the moment one of the mini boss genestealers would show up. The damn thing would one shot us and we couldn’t figure out kiting or getting it to switch aggro, and we had no clue as to what we needed to change or improve to deal with the situation. If the feedback loop were improved it wouldn’t have been as bad but it felt like a slightly less impenetrable, much slower, and equally confusing game as their first production, E.Y.E. Divine Cybermancy.

The specific 40k game it's based off is clunky. Space Hulk the board game, and similar style PC games is made to get the terminators rolled, repeatedly. The stealers are always at the advantage. The point of it was never to really show the "power" of a terminator suit where one of them could just steamroll things, but made to play like aliens were the good team is way outmatched, outclassed, and perpetually getting killed off.

I played it a fair bit early and it felt fine for a spacehulk but was just way too buggy and performance issues.

Back