SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

Pretty normal for a PVA or for a TN?

It's hard to say based on your description, but I'm leaning toward a TN. Granted, you may be more apt to describe things a bit exaggerated, having come from a CRT with /zero/ viewing angle shift.

Just ordered one online, picked up a coupon for 3 bucks on eBay, so my total ended up being 294.xx
We shall see after it arrives how it works. Going to hit the local OM and extend the warranty as well( 30 day buffer to do so)

I bought this LCD Sun, for 299$ at my local Office Max. This lcd is really nice great color, great viewing angles I would say its not a TN, only one problem it flickers!!! Look at it threw a digital camera I had it side by side with my Viewsonic VX2025 and man it’s like a CRT. Also did this test
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/inversion.php and yes it fails. I tried different dvi cables same thing. If you’re not sensitive to flicker its prob a great lcd for you, but me I can’t take it.... eye strain big time, so it’s going back today this screen is perfect otherwise. Nvidia 8800gt

Normal for a PVA...

You KNOW if you have a TN just because of how drastic the colors change...

If my Soyo is TN, I'll try swapping a few times until I can get PVA or just return it for a refund, cause I can't stand TN

my soyo doesn't fail that inversion test, the picture stays perfectly still in the fullscreen one, no flickering

there is a very slight flickering on the 4a box, but it's very subtle

i love the 0 backlight bleeding on this screen though

Yea mine flickers a bit on 4b, but haven't noticed it at all in anything but that test...

In the tiny boxes, I see flicker in 4a but not 4b... fullscreen it's only 4b

so let me get this straight: this monitor is a s-pva and not a p-mva? When I do a google search I get conflicting information

so let me get this straight: this monitor is a s-pva and not a p-mva? When I do a google search I get conflicting information

Haha, I forget which one it is, I get mva/pva confused...

The point is, it's a *va which means it's slower than a TN, but way better color reproduction. which matters a lot to some people

Weird...

Mine hasn't shipped yet, ordered saturday night... hopefully shows up soon and I'll find out for sure.

well, its got great viewing angles with no color shifts so wouldn't this mean its something other than a TN? My Toshiba laptop is a TN I can tell big time..I think im going to hang on to it for a week before I return because its a great panel no dead pixels and great color its just the flickering in the screen test but I notice many screens have this same issue so it may be common? But when I look at the screen next to my VS VX2025 threw a digital camera and threw the pixel walking test the Soyo flickers like a CRTand the VS doesn't. Going to see how it effects my eyes over the next week and decide...WOW looks insane on this thing!!! for 300 bucks its a no brainer, if it can hold up for a year or two. I will just use a duel display set up and do my long reads on my VX2025. Also i noticed it has a hot plastic smell from the back vents prob not a big deal just wonder the life span of this LCD...Has anyone had it a long time with no issues?? Well at least Soyo is near me so if something goes bad over the next year I could prob take it in.

It's really really not that hard to tell if it's a TN... if it's blatantly obvious that the colors drastically change/invert when you look from above, then it's a TN... otherwise PVA or MVA or I-SPS...

http://lousyhero.com/blaze/vatn.wmv

Made a quick video, First one is *va, second is TN... the colors invert when I look from above, but on the Soyo they stay the same, maybe get darker/lighter a bit (Mainly my shitty camera adjusting exposure), but the colors don't drastically change.

Yes, the box may be incorrect, because when I view from different angels the top also, the colors don’t change its got great viewing angels,,dunno:rolleyes: it looks the same as my Viewsonic VX2025 20inch and its not a TN. I make this page full screen half on vx2025 and half on the Soyo they look the same from all angels...

cool thanks for the video!!! So the soyo can’t be 3ms? Do you notice how the soyo Flashes Fickers and the second one doesn’t?

Ok. I made a video same image on both screens.....ok, is this flickering good or bad? SOYO on right Reminds me of CRT's Naked eye cant really see it, threw camera yes..but it can cause eye strain regardless I would Think?
Video Here

Man, whatever your doing with "flicker" tests with your camera, it doesn't matter. Just use the monitor. If it strains your eyes OK. LCD flicker is not the same as CRT flicker. LCD's flicker when you have patterns that play games with the main signal feeding the panel. You will see flicking on that site with any LCD. So just use it, and see if it bothers you. I bet you it wont, unless you find yourself staring at arrays of 1-pixel lines on a frequent basis.

Yea... it flickers through the camera, but not when I'm sitting at it...

Could be that the camera is shooting 30fps, at 1/30 shutter speed, but the monitor is refreshing at like 59.96hz, the Viewsonic could be running dead 60hz

Who knows, the Soyo is a budget MVA/PVA 24" monitor... you don't get to complain :p

digitaledge
what is the manufacture date of your panel?
I just saw one in a store with a date of 12/2007 and it looked to be PVA/MVA

If the burning plastic smell worries you getting the back off of one of these things is not at all difficult, and should help with airflow. Just pull every single screw you see on the back of it, including the ones holding the base on, then stick a screwdriver between the two halves of the shell and pop it open, and re-mount the stand without the plastic back shell on. Shouldn't be an issue unless your display is somewhere that things will be hitting the back of it.

Good news for those with an interest in my Soyo mod -- my desktop should finally be back together and running properly come this weekend, so the Soyo will become my primary project once again.

2007-12 in a 3ms Box and it doesn’t seem to be a TN must be a PVA/MVA. If there is TN's out there just hope if this thing fails over the next year it doesn’t get replaced by one!!

I've spent a bit more time with mine. I don't get the severe inversion of colors from a high angle like in Blazestorm's vid.

Am I just going to have to get used to the intricacies of LCD technology? Think a guy looking for a replacement to his CRT would be happy with a IPS? Should I just shut the fuck up and get used to it?

I have no complaints, the unit is solid. I'm just getting used to the technology...

$300 is a nice price... Looks like the next unit I'd be interested in might be the DoubleSight 26 inch panel, at a little more than twice what I've already spent.

Just depends, if you really don't want to give up CRT, look for a FW900... you could probably find one sub $200 in your area (Craigslist + Ebay)

I had one, I prefer LCD honestly...

I've been watching my local Craigslist for months... It's time to buy, so I bought.

Like I said, it seems like I've gotten a pretty solid one. No dead pixels, even backlight. It does just fine watching DVDs and playing games. Just when I'm on a static screen I can see a slight variation in color from the center of the screen to the corners.

If I found a DoubleSight in stock at a local B&M retailer, I'd probably give it a try. I haven't so I'm about 90% sure I'll keep my Soyo.

And of course, now I've two business trips coming up so I have to decide by Thursday, or I miss my return window. Anyone going to SBS in St. Louis?

Got my Soyo from UPS today...

Perfect, less blacklight bleed than my first one, no dead pixels, MVA panel for sure.

Only difference was I had to turn down my brightness a bit more on this one to get the blacklevels to be the same.

As long as it doesn't die in 2 weeks, I'm happy :D

Did a bit more testing, my first one flickers on 2b and 4b, the 2nd one flickers on 2a and 4a... but not the same for either...
After some tweaking with the settings (Actually my 2nd monitor runs 49 contrast, 29 brightness, to get the same colors as my first one @ 75 contrast, 33 brightness)

Just got mine from UPS, haven't even opened it, but the box lists 6ms response....should be up and running in a few days.

ok, just got mine in the mail - it is definitely a TN panel - it is going back to Officemax.
manufacture date: 2007.12
s/n SCU7521E7050086
MT-GW DYLM24D6
used the test at this site:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I have it sitting by the Westy L2410nm.
when looking at it from below at 45 degree angle you can see a "negative" effect.

The $35 NeoFlex stand is the best think in the world for this monitor... the one that comes with it is truly horrible.

ok, just got mine in the mail - it is definitely a TN panel - it is going back to Officemax.
manufacture date: 2007.12
s/n SCU7521E7050086
MT-GW DYLM24D6
used the test at this site:
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/

I have it sitting by the Westy L2410nm.
when looking at it from below at 45 degree angle you can see a "negative" effect.

Does it get brighter/washed out? or do the colors invert...

Looking from above the MVA panels get a bit brighter/washed out... but only at angles you wouldn't be looking at anyways...

The $35 NeoFlex stand is the best think in the world for this monitor... the one that comes with it is truly horrible.

When I get a new desk I plan to get one of those dual LCD mounts from geeks.com :D

Mine has a manufacture date: 2007.12 also, and its not a TN the box was labled as 3ms.
The viewing angles are perfect no issue this is getting weird lol

If some of these are truely TN's im just scared if this thing gos bad my replacement may be a TN :(

Asusi, are you positive its a TN? what about sides and top angle?

digitaledge47 n00bie, 4 Days

Mine has a manufacture date: 2007.12 also, and its not a TN the box was labled as 3ms.

If some of these are truely TN's im just scared if this thing gos bad my replacement may be a TN

I performed the test at the site I mentioned for the viewing angles and they clearly indicate at TN. I did the same tests side by side with my Westy to prove it to myself. The Westy had much better viewing angles from sides, top and bottom. The most disturbing thing was the Soyo showed an inversion (negative) when looking from below the monitor.
To answer another poster's question: it lightened when looking from the top and darkened when looking from the bottom. from the sides there was a washing out of colors and slight brightening.
Forgot the mention - my box said 3ms on it.

If some of these are truely TN's im just scared if this thing gos bad my replacement may be a TN :(

So it sounds like we both have the same manufacture date and box (3ms) but I got a TN. Obviously Soyo is switching panels asynchronously with their labelling.:mad:

That sucks asusi sorry you got a TN:mad: Guess we cant trust the boxes on these. Maybe its worth a shot getting another, This is a great panel if you get a good one. Still worried getting a TN for replacement if this one takes a dump.

I checked my manufacturing date, even though I ordered 4 days ago it was made back in November... first one was made in July...

Got mine yesterday from local store!

loving it so far, huge upgrade from a samsung 914v 19" panel

no dead pixels (that i can see), no banding, no lines, etc. top is a little hot as reported. if it surives the next 13 days I'll remove the back. (using stock DVI cable)

was on for 12 hours yesterday, going another 12 today

manuf date: 09/2007

(thanks to everyone in this thread for heads up on issues and settings)

Plugged mine in and it looks great so far except browser windows are washed out...white stuff mostly. controls are a little tricky...
Browser windows are washed out. brightness is at 30 contrast at 39 right now.
What setting have been optimal for most?
Edit:
Somehow i had the "high light" on full screen..changed that and the monitor looks awesome.
Changed contrast to 75 brightness to 35 RGB at 28 each

Back