SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

Hello all.

First post but looking forward to many hours here. :)

Here's my dilemma:

I bought the Soyo yesterday, on sale at OM.

I must say it looks pretty darn good. No dead pixels. Colors look great. Team Fortress 2 runs well (I maxed out the resolution and got some lagging....but I believe the problem to be in the video card, not the monitor)
It does not run hot or have any buzzing sounds..... so it looks like I have a keeper.

Con #1: Windows Media player will not play DVD's correctly. Media player classic does, but I cannot fill the screen in WMP.
Con #2: The picture was a bit grainy.....not sharp like I would expect from a DVD, good video card (ATI Radeon 256mb), good monitor.
(could #2 be caused by the stock DVI cable?)
Con #3: When I am playing my online poker games.....the table will only open so much.....is this from the poker software & not the monitor?

Con #4 and the problem I'm having the biggest time with :)

Office Depot is having a sale on the Acer 24" Widescreen LCD Monitor for $279.99 starting tomorrow:

24" LCD WIDESCREEN
• DVI port with HDCP for viewing the highest-quality video
• Fast 5ms response time
• 1920 x 1200 resolution
• 3000:1 contrast ratio
Model X243Wbd

Does anyone thing I would be happier with that model? It doesn't have speakers which I don't need.....but it has HDCP support which I 'may' need in the future. Also the 3000:1 contrast comparing to the Soyo 1000:1 (I Have no idea what those mean anyways.lol)

Sorry for the noob questions...but I am wondering if I should return the Soyo & go for the bigger name Acer??

My first post too! Just bought mine last night, it should be here Tuesday! Just curious: how many USB inputs does this have? I haven't seen one in person.

No. The Acer is most likely a TN screen, which has terrible viewing angles and worse color reproduction. Contrast ratio is apperantly higher at first glance but manufacturers "cheat" when displaying those ratios. They show you the DYNAMIC contrast ratio to make it appear higher than it really is. a 3000:1 dynamic contrast ratio really does not represent the actualy contrast ratio of the panel. Most likely it is also 1000:1 or lower.

Overall the Soyo is most likely the better screen. The only advantage i see with the Acer is the HDCP compatibility. If that is very important to you, then you might wanna think about it but otherwise i'd say "no".

Thans ScyCs: I noticed this monitor doesn't suffer the 'loss of image' at different angles. Is that the TN? I did notice that problem on my older 17" LCD.

I think I have a keeper. Like I said...no problems like others have had (dead pixels, buzzing, heat, etc)

I think I'll get a better DVI cable at monoprice & see if that helps with the movies..... which are just a minor use of the computer..... (I have a projector & 100" screen for those :) ) If anything a new cable will help with the overall image.

Last question: Is some software (like my poker games) limited in how much they can fill the screen? :)

Hammertime: No USB ports at all.

(edit: And oh yeah......I don't see needing HDCP anytime soon....it's a computer monitor....not a TV / movie player lol)

Oops. One last question. Other people have suggested turning on a screen saver & letting it run........sooooo if it IS prone to fail it will fail within my 14 day return period. Wise or Foolish ? Thanks.

Yes, a TN panel will have significant loss of picture when viewing from the sides. As far as the poker game not filling the screen...it's very highly likely that the game simply doesn't support the high resolution.

OldTyme - for cons 1 and 2, Windows media player doesn't let you adjust anything aspect ratio wise. The movie is either 4:3 or 16:9 and your monitor is 16:10, you will not be able to fill the full screen in WMP in it's current form. Also the conventional DVD movies are about half the resolution as the screen so of course they look grainy. That's what HD movies are for. So those aren't really issues you can do much about. Hope you like it, I would stick with the Soyo. Cheers.

Oops. One last question. Other people have suggested turning on a screen saver & letting it run........sooooo if it IS prone to fail it will fail within my 14 day return period. Wise or Foolish ? Thanks.

Its a good idea . I did the same with mine . I highly recommend putting the unit on a GOOD surge protector too . I think this is maybe why some/alot of people "may" have had pre-mature failure rates with no surge protection . All the people "I know" that own this unit and have it on a surge protector , have not had a single problem or unit fail to date .

Will this be a step up from a Samsung 226BW S panel?

I'm going to go pick one up today. Hopefully it's good.

Are you guys just buying the soyo at regular price now? It wasn't even the $330 advertised on officemax.com at my local brick and mortar store.. it was $350.
fyi, I went and looked at both the soyo and acer 24" monitors today.. the soyo had a terrible standard definition demo loop running so I wasn't able to judge it vs the acer. But the acer at office depot had like 12 other 20-24" monitors from hp, samsung, viewsonic etc next to it playing an hd movie, and it looked just as good. I know some of the other monitors were not TN because I have been reading about panel types lately in preparation for choosing a new monitor. I did notice slight color shifting from the extreme side angles but I'd never be at that angle so I was pretty impressed with the acer and decided to get it since locally the soyo isn't on sale anymore. plus I really hated the soyo bezel and size and the build quality worried me. anyway that is my subjective experience

I picked a Soyo 24" up today, based on everybody here liking it and the price. This is an upgrade from a Iiyama VisionMaster Pro 450 CRT I bought a really long time ago. I got the last one at a local OfficeMax for $279, but kind of toned my expectations down based on the price. This panel is beautiful! No dead or stuck pixels, bright and contrasty, good colors out of th box. The only change I have made is to turn the brightness down to 30, I felt my retinas starting to melt. I probably play around with the color once I test some Photoshop work on it. So far I've run Bioshock , Crysis, both seem to with no ghosting whatsoever. Crysis is a little of chunky at 1920 X 1200, but I don't think many systems can run well at this resolution. I am running 2 8800 GTS 512's in SLI. It does show the limitations of the DVD format, I can really see the compression artifacts the format generates. Normally one does not sit this close to a screen when your're watching a movie, or I don't. Not a problem with the screen, but it is that sharp. A friend bought a Dell E248WFP with a TN panel. I wanted one until I sat down and looked at a game on it. The banding when your are not centered perfectly was driving me nuts. He didn't notice, and I didn't say anything, but being a photo editor makes me a little picky about things like that. The Soyo definitely does not have this problem. As for longetivity, I hope it will hold up well. I did buy the 1 year extended warranty, something I normally don't do. The build date on this one is 10/2007. Now I have to figure out how to fit it into my desk setup. Does anyone have a recommedation for a LCD arm?

how the hell are you guys geting it for $279? it is marked $349 here and the website is back up to $399. I'm going to have them scan one tomorrow morning to see what it rings up as

how the hell are you guys geting it for $279? it is marked $349 here and the website is back up to $399. I'm going to have them scan one tomorrow morning to see what it rings up as

The sale price at Office Max was $279. The sale ended today (Feb 23rd).

I talked to the manager of office max and $349 was the sale price in hawaii because our pricing region is not the same as the continental united states. so I was fucked over no matter what. got the acer tn, am happy with it, but would have preferred soyo. oh well $279 is a great price
edit: after doing a lot of test viewing, I hate the TN. got a westinghouse l2410nm mva based panel and it's so much better. sooooo much

Well I finished calibrating and came up with this:
Contrast 75
Brightness 35
RGB 28/28/28

Looks fantastic on all image tests. I do photography work too so it's a nice change from my TN Samsung 226BW S panel.

The max resolution I've been able to get to work is 1440x900. When I change to 1920x1200 the screen remains black.

I used the Catalyst Control Center to uncheck the box "Alternate DVI operational mode" and was able to successfully change to 1920x1200. However, the screen kept flashing black every now and then and was displaying artifacts during usage. Anyone else have a problem running at 1920x1200 or a suggestion on what else to try?

Here are my specs:
WinXP SP2
Radeon X1550 256MB AGP
2GB RAM
Athlon 64 3000+
Catalyst Software Version: 8.2

Update: Tried the VGA cable and was able to set the resolution to 1920x1200. I'll try a different DVI cable when I can get one...

I finally decided to go ahead and purchase the Soyo 24" about 6pm on Saturday evening... 3 hours before the sale was over, hehe. I finally decided I might as well find out for myself if I liked it, and I could always take it back if I didn't. I did get the 2-year OM warranty, just in case. Well, let me first say, I won't be taking it back :)

For reference, the manufacturing date on the one I got is Sept 2007. I'm running the monitor on a Sapphire ATI Radeon HD 3850 AGP 512MB, and using the DVI cable that came with the monitor. No stuck or dead pixels. No backlight bleeding. The picture looks great :) I haven't even messed with the colors, I just adjusted the brightness using one of the links that have been posted in this thread. Both brightness and contrast were set to 50 out of the box, and I adjusted the brightness down to 36. Contrast at 50 was fine. While playing Vanguard: Saga of Heroes I didn't have any problems with response or lag. Text is very easy to read. I played one of the HD sample movies from the Microsoft music and video site, and it looked great. I have my video card set to use Centered Timings, so the sample movie had the black bars above and below. I ran the pipes screensaver for about eight hours while I was sleeping, and no problems showed up. All-in-all, I'm very happy with this monitor :)

Is this a TN screen? It seems that way with the 170/160 viewing angles.

Mine is with 100% certainty NOT a TN but rather a S-PVA or P-MVA. BTW, found a great color profile for this monitor on one of the other sites (i think it was fatwallet). Makes the colors and the screen look even better.

ScycS: I scoured FW & couldn't find anything. I'd be great if you could re-find that.

Update with my monitor: I am smelling the 'hot' smell off the back of the monitor if I do leave it on for a few hours.. Should I be worried?

I am planning on getting some sort of small fan & place it above or behind the monitor...... I went to Meijers (same as a Walmart but regional) but could not find ANY fans ANYWHERE :)

Mine is with 100% certainty NOT a TN but rather a S-PVA or P-MVA. BTW, found a great color profile for this monitor on one of the other sites (i think it was fatwallet). Makes the colors and the screen look even better.

Mine was 75 brightness, 35 contrast, 38gamma (for all 3 colors) one guy reported 36 red, 38 blue, 38 green...

But those were just from an onboard calibration w/ Nvidia... Most people have been seeing good results with them though :) Although it's best to calibrate your monitor on an individual basis.

The hot "smell" goes away... I'm running 5+ months and it went away, been to numerous LANs (I stretch a hoodie over it, and buckle it into the front-seat w/ the LCD facing the seat)... occasionally putting a piece of cardboard over the front if I can find some.

Still as awesome as the day I got it... Bought an HD-DVD drive from CC for $50 last night (All Xbox360 drives are $50 now, w/ King Kong included and 5 free mail-in offer.. which ends thursday) and it looked amazing. I used "AnyDVD" from Slysoft to bypass the HDCP which was required to play King Kong... but... no problem for AnyDVD :)

This is definitely a P-MVA panel. I have one stuck pixel that's bugging me but the $280 price tag negates that.
Movie time:
dsc5669hw0.jpg

All the older panels are P-MVA, no one is questioning that. What some are concerned about is that Soyo has released a monitor with the exact same model number with a TN panel in some Canadian retailers.

Well this is a November unit. I know how to tell differences between panel types so I'm sure of it. My complaints with the monitor:
Not Xbox 360 friendly
Bezel and stand blow
Speakers are useless

Other than that it's a fantastic screen. I've calibrated it just perfect on my own.

RGB =28/28/28
Contrast=75
Brightness=35

I'm going to be building a replacement enclosure for mine (and throwing the horrible speakers in the process). If it goes well and there's enough interest I /may/ sell it in kit form. If all goes well this project will at least start over the next week or so -- spring break coming up.

I pretty much agree with all the complaints about presentation with this thing -- the included stand is trash, the bezel is huge and ugly, the LED power indicator lights are too bright and distracting... I intend to do something about it.

All the older panels are P-MVA, no one is questioning that. What some are concerned about is that Soyo has released a monitor with the exact same model number with a TN panel in some Canadian retailers.

I'm confused, which is better? Also, how to tell which is which?

I'm confused, which is better? Also, how to tell which is which?

Generally speaking P-MVA is better, as it offers better color reproduction and a wider color gamut, as well as much better viewing angles. If you look at the screen and move up and down and side to side in front of it and the contrast appears to change /a lot/ it's a TN panel. Unfortunately, P-MVA panels are slower than TN panels in general, which can lead to problems with ghosting. I do notice some ghosting with my Soyo, but it's not intolerable. I noticed no ghosting with my older Samsung Syncmaster 204B, which was a 20.1" 1600x1200 5ms Gray to Gray TN panel.

Thanks for posting your #'s Volucris.

Turning the brightness down & the contrast up did sharpen things up a bit from default.

I went with your color #'s & they look fine too me.
The default settings looked pretty good to start with.

Just an update from the last page on the heat smell issue...it has stopped.

At first I was "damning" the fact there was an Acer going on sale the day after I bought this....but after reading reviews on it I'm glad I went with the Soyo.

(PS) I like the LEDs . :cool:

(PSS) If you're looking at the stand or speakers you're looking at the wrong part of the monitor. :p

I don't see (or can't tell) of any color/contrast change at all. I'm a nerd, I guess.

Well this is a November unit. I know how to tell differences between panel types so I'm sure of it. My complaints with the monitor:
Not Xbox 360 friendly
Bezel and stand blow
Speakers are useless

Other than that it's a fantastic screen. I've calibrated it just perfect on my own.

RGB =28/28/28
Contrast=75
Brightness=35

Why isn't it Xbox 360 friendly?

Why isn't it Xbox 360 friendly?

Screen doesn't have a built-in scaler... therefore it can't take 1080p from the Xbox...

The only reason you can choose different resolutions on a PC is because the video-card does the scaling, not the monitor.

Are there any good deals on this screen right now? Only place I can find it sold is OfficeMax, and when I look for deals, they all reference the OfficeMax deal, which of course is expired... it's $400 everywhere as far as I can tell. Please prove me wrong!

Are there any good deals on this screen right now? Only place I can find it sold is OfficeMax, and when I look for deals, they all reference the OfficeMax deal, which of course is expired... it's $400 everywhere as far as I can tell. Please prove me wrong!

My OfficeMax had it in their weekly circular for $270 this past week.

I just keep a postit note over the LED.:p

I did the same but then I had a blue glowing post-it in it's place and it was annoying to operate the power button.

Here's what I did to remedy the situation:
1. Using an indelible black marker, draw a big blob on some thick paper.
2, Let it dry and then go over it again.
3. Cut little rectangles out of the blackened paper just big enough to cover each LED.
4. Stick each rectangle on the middle of some clear tape black side down and flush with one edge.
5. Stick the tape to the monitor so that each rectangles covers an LED.

It works pretty well and isn't too ugly.

Back on sale this week , but at $300 vs last weeks $280 . (I "think" there maybe more/new $30 off $150 coupons floating around too , including new ones by snail mail )

So... this is definitely a P-MVA panel? No review I can find says what pane type it is. The general consensus is that it's not a TN or an IPS, but apart from that... is anybody really sure, or are there just opinions?

No, someone opened it up... it was a P-MVA... same panel in the Ben-q mointors I believe...

Made by Au-optrics or something like that...

Back