SOYO 24" DYLM24D6 Official Thread

4a was the only one with severe flickering, 2a had a faint flickering that wouldn't bug me.

For the price it was my only option to get 1920 x 1200 (which I need for 1x1 pixel scaling of HD Video) And I'm very happy with it.

I've never seen flickering outside of those "tests" and I doubt they make an LCD that passes every "test"... :rolleyes:

My panel's voltages were terribly mis-adjusted and I have to say that the strain on my eyes was far greater than usual. The inversion test only showed one part of the story, whenever I tried to read something on dark backgrounds I noticed a slight pixel flow which was causing the letters to remain non-stationary after every couple of seconds. The best way to view the true picture was to look through a digital camera and I noticed a lot of flickering on the screen. I have my Dell latitude D620 and a Sceptre 20" LCd side by side and I tried to view them through the camera as well, but they did'nt show any such characteristics, only mild fuzziness. That is where I concluded that my Soyo panel had mis-adjusted voltages and whenever I tried to focus too much on a screen, with a lot of static text, I was getting head-aches.

:confused: Were you using the VGA input or something? I've never had an LCD do horribly on the Lagom flicker tests unless it was over VGA instead of DVI.

I'm still on my third monitor, it's now getting backlight bleed in all four corners.

Had it half a week.

Red in the two lower corners, white in the upper two.

Will these monitor problems never end for me? : (

Some experiences about the buzzing:
When I use the panel at school, there is very little electronic noise. When I use it at home, there is the same quiet electronic noise, but also a 60Hz (not exactly sure if it was 60, don't have it with me) buzzing. Sometimes quiet, and sometimes very loud. I've never had any issues with the power in this house, and it's only about 20 years old. Don't know what is going on with harmonics or resonance or whatnot. I don't have a UPS to test it with which might have an interesting result. Anyone got any theories?

PS. the speakers do make a hissing sound if not at 0 volume, but I have physically disconnected them. None of this noise if from the speakers.

How did you disconnect them exactly? Im guessing you opened up the monitor and disconnected the wires of the terminals? If you can please explain what you did exactly that would be great, ty.

tegtyme said:
How did you disconnect them exactly?
I just took the back off by removing all the visible screws. The speakers have a connector that just pulls off. I also left the back off to keep it cooler (but now that I know the noise isn't caused by the heat, I suppose it doesn't really matter).

For those who need a boost of confidence on this monitor, mine has been flawless for a week now. No dead pixels, bleeding, etc. The back of mine is cool to the touch, that might have something to do with it.

Amazing upgrade from my 19" Samsung. I use to tilt it to try to use it as a TV in bed, the Soyo doesn't even need to be tilted - the color and contrast are excellent at an angle.

I thought I would share my experiences so far as well.

I ordered the monitor from Office Max with the current deal. It arrived in 2 days from when I ordered it.

It shipped in the actual monitor box, which had me very surprised. I'm sort of amazed it wasn't stolen. Plus it wasn't even taped shut.

Mine is a Sept, 07 panel according to the sticker on the back. I set it up yesterday, hooked up via DVI to my MBP and ran it all night on the Spectrum screensaver, which basically just cycles the screen through a number of pastel colors. One pixel seems to be stuck on - it appears multi-colored and only shows up when the screen is black. I'm not sure how to tackle this - maybe that java pixel fixer applet? Otherwise there is no buzzing, and no thread lines so far. It is cool to the touch. I plan on running it 24/7 for the next few days. Can anyone recommend any LCD stress test utilities for the mac?

The only issues I have noticed: This screen is not over-bright like many have reported. The brightness is just about perfect at 50, and too dim at 35. Though the difference between 50 and 100 is really not that much. I'm not sure if this means it is defective or not. Also, when using the Flurry screensaver on the mac it behaves very strangely, with super prominent ghosting - but nothing else displays this, so I think it is a fluke of some kind.

The tilting does work with some effort, and the base is just as cheap as I had heard. I may invest in a neoflex or something similar.

Assuming mine does not develop any thread lines or more dead pixels I am a very happy camper. But I will continue to test.

What insurance did people get? The first year is in Soyo's hands regardless, right? Can I still get in on OM insurance after the purchase date? or is there another, better, policy?

Has anyone gotten this to work at 1080, on the XBOX 360 vga cables?

I can get to play games great at 12(something)x7(something)

However, when I try and get the damn thing to go up a resolution nothing happens.

Does anyone have experience with this monitor side by side vs. the Westinghouse L2610NM? I'm trying to decide between those two monitors ATM :confused:. Oh, and price isn't a factor since both will be costing me about the same.

Has anyone gotten this to work at 1080, on the XBOX 360 vga cables?

I can get to play games great at 12(something)x7(something)

However, when I try and get the damn thing to go up a resolution nothing happens.

Nope, it was found a long time ago that it doesn't work. 1920x1080 isn't one of its supported resolutions.

BTW, at the lagom site, I didn't notice any flickering on 4a and 4b as mentioned above. Maybe you just have a defective monitor? Chances seem likely with this monitor anyway :rolleyes:.

On the lagom site box 4a does flicker for me - but I dont notice flickering with light text on dark backgrounds like the previous poster described.

On the response time test boxes A-D all show dark red flickering squares as well.

Does anyone know how to, on a mac, turn this from 60hz to 70? it doesn't show up as an option.

high flickering means that the voltage on the panel is mis-adjusted and it'll only get worse as the LCD ages. I am just too sensitive to that amount of flickering and don't want my eye balls to pop out.

high flickering means that the voltage on the panel is mis-adjusted and it'll only get worse as the LCD ages. I am just too sensitive to that amount of flickering and don't want my eye balls to pop out.

I don't understand how bad your flickering could've been to the point that it strained your eyes during normal use. Can you elaborate?

During reading, the text should be static so that you may focus on the screen, but if there is flickering, the text isn't stationary and one can't focus for too long without concentrating too hard. The panel flickered on 2a, 4a and 4b, so I decided to take it back to the store. Although it's a pity that I had to do so as the colors were brilliant.

I've had my Soyo for a few months now and been very happy with it but I've noticed a problem over the last week or so. There a horizontal area about an inch and a quarter just above the middle of the monitor which is darker that the rest of the screen. It extends the entire width of the screen...it's particularly noticeable when scrolling on webpages with lots of white(NewEgg) or Word docs. My vid card is a Sapphire HD 3850. I've installed the newest Catalyst drivers but no joy from them.
Ambient temps in my office have dropped in that same time period.

Before I try Soyo support, I'll switch out systems and try a different DVI cable.

Any ideas on the possible cause/solution?

TIA!

For those that reported havin buzzing noise problems coming from the monitor, how loud was this sound? Was it a loud buzzing noise or a faint buzzing noise?

Mine is a Sept, 07 panel according to the sticker on the back. I set it up yesterday, hooked up via DVI to my MBP and ran it all night on the Spectrum screensaver, which basically just cycles the screen through a number of pastel colors. One pixel seems to be stuck on - it appears multi-colored and only shows up when the screen is black. I'm not sure how to tackle this - maybe that java pixel fixer applet? Otherwise there is no buzzing, and no thread lines so far. It is cool to the touch. I plan on running it 24/7 for the next few days. Can anyone recommend any LCD stress test utilities for the mac?

The only issues I have noticed: This screen is not over-bright like many have reported. The brightness is just about perfect at 50, and too dim at 35. Though the difference between 50 and 100 is really not that much. I'm not sure if this means it is defective or not. Also, when using the Flurry screensaver on the mac it behaves very strangely, with super prominent ghosting - but nothing else displays this, so I think it is a fluke of some kind.

The tilting does work with some effort, and the base is just as cheap as I had heard. I may invest in a neoflex or something similar.

Assuming mine does not develop any thread lines or more dead pixels I am a very happy camper. But I will continue to test.

What insurance did people get? The first year is in Soyo's hands regardless, right? Can I still get in on OM insurance after the purchase date? or is there another, better, policy?

Here's my experience so far.

1st lcd: DOA - Dec. panel
2nd lcd: Red stuck pixel in a bad spot that I can't get rid of - Oct. panel
3rd lcd: Green stuck pixel in a bad spot - Oct. panel
4th lcd: Had to exchange from a different store, original OM only had 3. Red stuck pixel low on the task bar which I can live with. - Dec. panel

As for the warranty, the way it was explain to me, it is 1 year for $29 and 2 years for $49 and it replaces the factory warranty so you don't have to go through Soyo. Just bring your screen back for a replacement or get a gift card, if they don't have the same model for the original prices paid including tax. You have up til the 14 day to purchase the warranty. I have about a week left to decide if I want to try my luck at no dead pixels but this 4th screen has no other issues except for the faint red stuck pixel.

Here's my experience so far.

1st lcd: DOA - Dec. panel
2nd lcd: Red stuck pixel in a bad spot that I can't get rid of - Oct. panel
3rd lcd: Green stuck pixel in a bad spot - Oct. panel
4th lcd: Had to exchange from a different store, original OM only had 3. Red stuck pixel low on the task bar which I can live with. - Dec. panel

As for the warranty, the way it was explain to me, it is 1 year for $29 and 2 years for $49 and it replaces the factory warranty so you don't have to go through Soyo. Just bring your screen back for a replacement or get a gift card, if they don't have the same model for the original prices paid including tax. You have up til the 14 day to purchase the warranty. I have about a week left to decide if I want to try my luck at no dead pixels but this 4th screen has no other issues except for the faint red stuck pixel.

Seems like Soyo's quality control is pretty terrible. I think this monitor is a good bang for the buck, but it isn't THAT good... at least not to the point that I wanna put up with that kinda shit to save $. Oh, and mine just developed a red stuck pixel on the bottom left corner after about 36 hours. I'm most likely gonna return it and just not deal with the crap shoot with these monitors. It would be nice to keep, especially considering that I got it for about $270, but I don't need unneccessary stress from this kinda stuff.

TBH, unless you live in the city where returns can be made easily, you should just save the gas money and buy a more expensive monitor. I happened to live close to a OM location where it was easy to swap out quickly.

It's not like other monitors don't get stuck/dead pixels... Infact a lot of companies won't even let you return them if it has under 4-5 dead pixels...

Meh... It wasn't a hassle for me cause I got a good one first try...

Actually, that is wrong unless they very recently changed their policy. Here is what it states at the back of the pamphlet: "Coverage begins at expiration of manufacturer's labor warranty."

I grabbed one from office max a week and a half ago and was impressed right off the bat with it's heft and size. Then I hooked it up to and my jaw dropped. The color, brightness, text clarity (@ 1920 X1200) was like nothing I've seen before on any lcd. Easily rivals my 19" Sony Trinitron G400. No banding, little to no light bleed, no buzzing sound or overheating.

Then 2 stuck pixels came up (they won't show black) each about 2 inches to either side of dead center. I got UDpixel ran it over night for several nights, nothing.

Then I started run some games. In Portal my character seemed drunk. Very blurry (ghosting?) and unresponsive (input lag?) altogether unplayable. HL2 was not as bad, but still very noticeable. Slighty sluggish, and not friendly at all to fast twitch gameplay. In Unreal 2004 it simply could not keep up with the speed of the game. Dropped frames everywhere. In a firefight it's not unusual to switch directions 3 times, double jump, and lead a target, and fire a shock combo all within a second or two. I could barely do a third of that in the same time span with the Soyo.

Since I've got old hardware (Athlon XP 2200, BFG 6600 oc, 2 gigs ram) I though dropping the res would do the trick. Went down all the way to 1024 x 768 and UT2k4 still played choppy.

I'm finishing a new build within a couple of weeks: e8400, gb ds3l, 4 gig ram, 8800gt. So far my opinion is this monitor is superb for gen use, office work, internet, movies but NOT gaming. Gets perfect scores from me for everything except fast twitch fps gaming, which is critical since fps encompasses most of my gaming. Would the new hardware make a difference? Or should I return it and get a 2ms / lower input lag LCD?

If FPS is what you do, you want a TN. Color reproduction isn't near as good, but lag is lower, and much less ghosting. Consider the newer Samsungs or the new 24" Dell TN+ display. $100-150 more. People swear by the BenQ 24"s, but I believe they're a good bit more.

Do you really think you can tell the difference between 2ms and 6ms ;)

Soyo is not the cause of dropped frames, that's the hardware, and potentially the mediocre DVI cable that comes stock with it.

Try a new DVI cable first, then try a new system... My soyo feels perfect for games... I'm twitch-tastic :D

Do you really think you can tell the difference between 2ms and 6ms ;)

Soyo is not the cause of dropped frames, that's the hardware, and potentially the mediocre DVI cable that comes stock with it.

Try a new DVI cable first, then try a new system... My soyo feels perfect for games... I'm twitch-tastic :D

I seriously doubt the DVI cable is that bad / makes that much difference. That said, I'm using the cable that came with my Samsung 204B, so I don't have personal experience with the 'stock' cable.

Yes, you can actually tell the difference between a 5ms TN and a 6ms non-TN. At least, I can. So the difference between a 2ms TN and a 6ms non-TN should be night and day.

I previously used a Westy 22" TN for a year before this monitor and the Soyo acts the same in terms of ghosting, imo.

The panel's voltages are so terribly mis-adjusted, that is why we see symptoms like stuck pixels and shadowed corners appearing randomly. I bought one and returned it in a week, just wasn't worth it for me.

The panel's voltages are so terribly mis-adjusted, that is why we see symptoms like stuck pixels and shadowed corners appearing randomly. I bought one and returned it in a week, just wasn't worth it for me.

YOUR panel's voltage was terribly mis-adjusted...

I haven't seen a stuck pixel, shadowed corners, or any artifacting of any kind. There was some slight tearing in videos, which was fixed by a new DVI Cable, I can't agree with the statement that "it's a digital signal, doesn't matter what cable" anymore... because that stock cable was terrible for the high resolution.

You don't own the panel.. we get the point, you bought one, it flickered too much for your sensitive eyes and you returned it. I don't get why you're still posting here :rolleyes:

I seriously doubt the DVI cable is that bad / makes that much difference. That said, I'm using the cable that came with my Samsung 204B, so I don't have personal experience with the 'stock' cable.

Yes, you can actually tell the difference between a 5ms TN and a 6ms non-TN. At least, I can. So the difference between a 2ms TN and a 6ms non-TN should be night and day.

There are other factors involved, not just response time...

And yea, the stock cable is terrible... I'll take a picture just to show the connections compared to my $5 monoprice cable...

There are other factors involved, not just response time...

And yea, the stock cable is terrible... I'll take a picture just to show the connections compared to my $5 monoprice cable...

So Blaze, with your Monoprice cable, how is the gaming? When I read seph's post about his gaming experience, I automatically thought hardware or bad, stock cable. Do you have any of the problems seph mentions or is that just him?

No problems... honestly, I bought a 20" LCD back 3 years ago for $860.. :)eek: ) and returned it that same day because the ghosting was so bad I couldn't play UT2004.

I went back to my 17" Sony Trinitron CRT... I used that up until I bought a VX922 19" "2ms" Tn panel... it was nice, no ghosting/lag, no dead pixels... was a good monitor, sold that and bought a FW900 off Craigslist, because of the huge thread on this forum. I found the FW900 to be ridiculously heavy, and the color/brightness wasn't what I was expecting... sure there was no lag, but it didn't look as "amazing" as everyone had touted...

Then I found the Soyo deal at office-max, I found a buyer on craigslist, I sold him my FW900 and drove over to office-max and picked up the Soyo for $50 more than I sold the FW900 for... ($250), got home and plugged it in... I was blown away (that's when I took those pictures of my background)

I found tearing in my HD videos that I film, as well as random green pixels in certain grey areas of pixels, it wasn't the Soyo's fault because if I moved a cursor over the pixel (making it white, not grey) it displayed white, if I scrolled up and down the green pixel moved with the picture. Once I swapped cables the problem was gone and I noticed no more tearing in my videos.

If you need 1920x1200 pixels / Big screen, and are on a budget... the Soyo is the best imo...

lol, my soyo monitor AND the monoprice cable died. Got a replacement monitor, threw on the stock white cable and the monitor works but not on the monoprice one lol.

You broke it :p

Nah I doubt monoprice is amazing quality, but for the price you can't beat them either. The key is budget :D

Soyo is a budget monitor, monoprice has budget cables.

Back