South Carolina May Move Against Prison Facebook Users

HardOCP News

[H] News
State legislators have backed a bill that will make it a crime for inmates to be caught updating their Facebook page from prison. Wait a minute, prisoners are on Facebook?

South Carolina prisoners caught with banned cell phones, which are often tossed over a prison fence to them, can face solitary confinement and loss of visitation and canteen privileges. But those caught updating their status on their Facebook page, by cell phone or any other means, might soon be looking at 30 extra days behind bars and a $500 fine.

Do they jailbreak the phones?

Think of the relationship statuses!

Next up, foursquare.

Good! Make sure they have as little as possible to do so they can go back to beating the crap out of/murdering each other and my taxpayer dollars get stretched even thinner with the medical bills and lawsuits.

Wait a minute...

So, what do these facebook updates consist of?

"In prison."

"In prison."

"Yup, still in prison."

Updates on who got shanked are less mundane than 99.9% of the rest of facebook.

I wouldn't be surprised if the ACLU stepped in and fought for their rights. Some prisons are country clubs thanks the the ACLU.

me and Fefe belong to the prison yacht club...*chuckles arrogantly* HOW will we coordinate with our members now. shucks.

I have a friend who is in prison for involuntary manslaughter. Killed two men who tried to rob him. He wouldn't have gone to prison if he wasn't selling drugs. He writes his sister and she posts the letters to his XXXXXXXX account so his family and friends can keep updated. He was sentenced to 8 years but should get out in 5, which is 2012 or early 2013.

I wonder exactly how this law works in cases where someone else takes letters and updates social websites.

There are several prison personals for women that basically do the same thing, tho, prolly not as updated as Facebook.

I wonder what Facebooks policy is on this. I know they do not allow sex offenders but what about murderers and arsonists or even white collar crimes? I would assume they do not allow these people but I am not sure.

"Don't drop the soap! :(" <You and 50 people like this. Hell, the entire place does.>

Seriously, I'm the first to mention the sodomy jokes?

I wonder what Facebooks policy is on this. I know they do not allow sex offenders but what about murderers and arsonists or even white collar crimes? I would assume they do not allow these people but I am not sure.

I don't think Facebook cares what someones criminal record is, they just don't want a reputation for being a hang out for pedophiles. It's a PR thing.

I just don't understand why all prisons don't have cell phone jammers installed..

Are they afraid they'll affect an inmates rights? There are plenty of workplaces that require staff to not use cell phones while on duty & you accept it when hiring on. Didn't the inmate accept the various new "job responsibilities" when they "applied" (rob,steal,kill,etc.) for their new job?

Good! Make sure they have as little as possible to do so they can go back to beating the crap out of/murdering each other and my taxpayer dollars get stretched even thinner with the medical bills and lawsuits.

Wait a minute...

On the off chance you forgot the sarcasm tag.

Giving criminals another avenue of extending their reach outside of prison is generally bad for law abiding citizens. They are in prison for a reason, they are not good people. Prison is supposed to suck. Hanging around updating facebook hardly seems like either punishment or rehabilitation to me.

This is as impossible to stop as the war on marijuana.... its never going to get stopped.

I have seen shows and documentaries on prisons and they literally have people throwing/smuggling/slingshot/etc phones into prisons all day around the country, its insanely hard to stop from what these guards say on the shows.

One place even had a smuggle one time where they had a makeshift basket attached to a remote control helicopter with all the "goods" inside the basket. Put a cam on that and you are never going to fucking get caught. The only way I can see the stop things like that is radio wave jamming to prevent flight of RC devices.

Just get your criminals into more trouble :) alter their facebook :) get payback :) .

Quite frankly, can't prisoners make phone calls? How is facebook any different really, it's just a medium of communication?

As long as it's supervised as phone calls are, I don't really think it's any different personally

Taxpayer shouldnt be funding computers with internet, IMO.

you want to be social and get entertainment, dont become a felon.

On a serious note. Why don't all prisons install fine mesh fences over the lots where this contraband is being thrown to? We can make nets to keep something as small as a golf ball where it's supposed to be so why not do the same to keep contraband out of the prisons where it's not supposed to be?

This should be on a case-by-case situation. I HATE broad-sweeping rules. They guy in prison for a white-collar crime shouldn't be restricted the same as the gang member doing time for killing a family. Someone in prison for manslaughter from drunk driving shouldn't be kept from Facebook/etc. like the drug dealer with contacts still on the streets. If rules need to apply to everyone equally, then just take it one step further and make the prison sentance the same for every offense... a bullet to the head upon the word "guilty" :rolleyes: Doesn't matter if you are going to prison for shoplifting, car jacking, murder, etc.

I have a friend who is in prison for involuntary manslaughter. Killed two men who tried to rob him. He wouldn't have gone to prison if he wasn't selling drugs. He writes his sister and she posts the letters to his XXXXXXXX account so his family and friends can keep updated. He was sentenced to 8 years but should get out in 5, which is 2012 or early 2013.

I wonder exactly how this law works in cases where someone else takes letters and updates social websites.

There are several prison personals for women that basically do the same thing, tho, prolly not as updated as Facebook.

he is lucky that is all he got. you come across like you feel like he shouldn't have gotten time. dude is a drug dealer. and plain old paper and pen would suffice, hopefully you're not scum like him ,and can be a good friend and try to push him towards not being a drug dealer again when he gets out. i am highly against any electronic communication for inmates and think they should install jammers and come out with some custom communication method for emergency purposes.

They in prison for a reason and have facebook and 3 decent meals a day. WTF

Why does it matter to you if "they" have Facebook if they use their own phone and billing plan? These are smuggled in, not given out from the prison's budget.

What is the acceptable level of prisoner boredom and suffering? Keep in mind the for-profit surge in prisons and the drug game.

I know this is an old subject but why dont they make all the prisoners use dial up thats what qwest is doing with me and its touchier........

wait now that I think about it mother #$% the dam prison has high speed internet before my house does wtf!

Back