• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Soundcard Choices

legendz411

2[H]4U
Joined
Jul 3, 2006
Messages
3,534
Well, when I first selected the parts for my PC, I was going to use onboard Audio. It was good. I figured, "Why spend extra $$$ if I don't have too?" Well, after reading up some more, I learned that onboard audio saps CPU power. That = bad when I will be playing video games. So I was shopping around for low priced, quality sound cards. Just something to shift the sound processing off the CPU... So far, I was gonna pick this CARD, via the recommendation on Techspot. It seems, that there are a few bad comments, (read: Many).

I wanted to know if there were any quality alternatives to a low priced soundcard, (around the same as the Diamond one) that I can purchase!
 
Nah, if you are worried about CPU cycles, get a Audigy 2 or a X-Fi.
 
Creative Soundcards also have the advantage of the latest EAX (directional audio and more) support without any extra cpu power usage in games.

I love my Audigy 2 ZS I got for $66 shipped. The biggest thing I noticed was no more cracking, and much more detail (can here people talking in the background for instance on Eminem's "Guilty Conscience"), but keep in mind I came from a ALC650 nforce2 era onboard sound chip. If you play games, get a creative. If you do the dolby digital thing where you use non analog speakers, get this

If none apply, stay with what you have unless you dont have a nforce4 era or higher era mobo chipset.

If you want some increase in general sound quality and have money to burn, and none apply, then go grab a X-FI choose the flavor.
 
Well... I was a little dismayed at the fact that some of the SB cards don't have a mic jack from the front of the case...

Other then that issue I was looking at these 2 cards.

Creative Sound Blaster Audigy 2 Value


Creative Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS


Or one of these

Diamond XtreamSound


I was, at first, goign to get the Audigy2 Value card, but I dun know if I want a MIDI port or not... I like joysticks and gamepads, My mobo comes with a PCI Slot for those (and it has a card :) ), but an extra one is always neat for 2player :)

What are youall's opinions on those three cards? The reviews say that creative has everything but user-friendly Drivers. I don't want to hassle for a week to get the card working, but I also want a full featured, some-what future-proof card.

Also, what are the main differences between the Value and the ZS? Is it really worth the ~$10 difference? And will SPDIF make any difference to me, (someone who plays videogames and watch movies on his computer. Not runs a HTPC.)?
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I had two straight Soundblaster Audigy 2's crap out on me and I went review hunting to see if there was an alternative to Creative. Don't get me wrong, I loved my Soundblasters and had been using them for years, but I just couldn't stand the fact that both of my cards died at almost the same time about a year and a half after purchase. I found this card mentioned a couple of different sites, so I took the plunge and couldn't be happier! Best part about it right now there is a $30 MIR. which makes the card $85.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16829156001
 
Audigy 2 Value FTW

You should be able to find one for under $40. Does 7.1, DD, EAX4, 96KHz 5.1, and 192KHz 2.1. Uses a derivative of the Audigy 4 chip instead of the Audigy 2.
 
waffle said:
Best part about it right now there is a $30 MIR. which makes the card $85.

This is still twice as much the Audigy 2ZS Mr X linked to.

And this is very solid card
 
But, Buying parts off of eBay? I've never considered such a thing. I have never had any problems with eBay before, but it just doesn't seem that buying PC parts off eBay is like... smart?


You all purchase off eBay?


I'm probly going to get the full featuered Audigy 2 ZS, $10 seems worth it to go ahead and get the SC i'll probly have for the next few PC upgrades. (I recycle Sound Cards like all hell :p )



Also, will SPDIF make any difference to me, (someone who plays videogames and watch movies on his computer)?

@ Antimatter, why did you promote the value card? What makes it better then the ZS or the others for you?
 
legendz411 said:
But, Buying parts off of eBay? I've never considered such a thing. I have never had any problems with eBay before, but it just doesn't seem that buying PC parts off eBay is like... smart?


Check out who the seller is. ;)
 
Mister X said:
Check out who the seller is. ;)


I don't understand why people don't buy from creative's eBay store. It actually has decent prices. I also don't understand why anyone would even get that chaintech card when they can get an Audigy 2 for less than ten dollars more.
 
Just noticed the seller. What does 'refurbished' mean? I mean, I know what it means, but what did they refurbish on the card? I assume that is why it is so cheapo. Anyways... good card.
 
legendz411 said:
Just noticed the seller. What does 'refurbished' mean? I mean, I know what it means, but what did they refurbish on the card?

This is what the voice on the other end of the phone told me when I called the # from the auction linked above:

Refurbished means the product has been repaired or reconditioned to good
working order. They may be defective products that have been fixed, or
customer returns that cannot be sold as new, or a variety of other
backgrounds. They are all subject to the same testing standards and
work like new. They may have minor cosmetic defects that do not impair
the operation of the product.
 
Well, I was expecting some sort of life-or-death defect. If they arn't actually super - defective, then I suppose that buying one for <$50 is a steal like all hell!

I suppose I made my choice. Shame there is no headphone/mic support from front case. :(
 
The simple fact is that if you're a gamer and you are lookign to buy a sound card, you want some sort of Creative card.

I would recommend the X-Fi but if you are too short on cash to afford it, then find an Audigy 2 Value or something. And you wouldn't be buying to save CPU resources, you'd be buying for the EAX effects which are a must have for any gamer worth his salt.

Tell the person who fed you the story about onboard audio sapping CPU resources to stuff it. Yes, onboard audio solutions DO use a miniscule amount more of CPU processing power compared to a dedicated APU (a card) but that translate to like 1 or 2 frames per second TOPS.

So don't buy a card if you're only doing it to up your frames per second in game, you'll be sorely dissapointed.
 
Blue Falcon said:
The simple fact is that if you're a gamer and you are lookign to buy a sound card, you want some sort of Creative card.

I would recommend the X-Fi but if you are too short on cash to afford it, then find an Audigy 2 Value or something. And you wouldn't be buying to save CPU resources, you'd be buying for the EAX effects which are a must have for any gamer worth his salt.

Tell the person who fed you the story about onboard audio sapping CPU resources to stuff it. Yes, onboard audio solutions DO use a miniscule amount more of CPU processing power compared to a dedicated APU (a card) but that translate to like 1 or 2 frames per second TOPS.

So don't buy a card if you're only doing it to up your frames per second in game, you'll be sorely dissapointed.

Well, I've never played with EAX, so that should be a treat. I am also buying a card for the fact that, when I get soundcards, I tend to recycle them untill they become sorely outdated, or I feel they need replacing. I won't lie though. The cpu sucking on-board sound rumor is what get me started for a video card, but it is not what is motivating me to finish.


Thanks for all the help you guys. I appreciate it. I will be getting the Audigy2 ZS sound card unless something comes up, (read: drastic $70 price drop on the X-Fi's :).)
 
Back
Top