• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Problem

mastephens

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 31, 2005
Messages
250
I have the Creative X-Fi Platinum and the Creative s700 speakers (5.1). The sound quality is great in the low and mid-range, but when I play something, usually classical, that has a lot of high range I get a lot of popping and crakling. Is this something that is wrong with my sound card or speakers or is it just a matter of changing a setting?
 
lol. Just make sure you keep that in mind the next time you buy speakers. :)

Do you have some headphones or another set of speakers to test the soundcard out? This way you can at least eliminate one or the other. Try flattening out the eq also.
 
I tried out my Etymotic ER-6's and I still got the high frequency popping and crakling. I enabled the EQ to flat, but I still get some distortion. I have the same music on my Mac, and it is not distorted at all. If anyone has got any clues that would be great.
 
You this may not be a hardware issue. I had similiar problems in the past with a creative soundcard. I think it was fixed by putting the card in a differenct PCI slot. It was a IRQ issue.
 
m1abram said:
You this may not be a hardware issue. I had similiar problems in the past with a creative soundcard. I think it was fixed by putting the card in a differenct PCI slot. It was a IRQ issue.

^^^^^^ Yes this has happened to me too.
 
I changed the slot that the card is in but I still am getting awful feedback. I makes no sense to me at all. I also just installed the new drivers and all of my X-Fi settings reset after each reboot.
 
I finally figured it out. In my bios, the onboard sound was still turned on even though all of the software was deleted. Also, iTunes has a sound enhancement utility that was turned on. The majority of the distortion was from iTunes, but the conflict with the onboard sound also was causing it to distort. I also had a minor corruption in my bios that was causing a problem where the pci card would not completely install correctly. I was all messed up but I a OK now. Thanks.
 
Back
Top