• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound Problem (hardlocks)

equal6

n00b
Joined
Dec 12, 2006
Messages
60
Hey there,

Recently I have had a problem with my computer, when ever I install sound drivers onto my PC after a certain while playing games or on my desktop my computer hard locks with repeating sound in the background, I have tried different drivers, including getting a new sound card and using them drivers and also using just my on board drivers.

Right now I have no sound drivers installed and no issues, it's just when I have the drivers installed :confused::confused:
 
Nobody have any solutions? using my computer without sound is kinda bad !
 
Tried a clean OS install? Something might be screwed up with DirectX.

My father's computer has the same mainboard, and the Realtek codec is utter crap. It only caused problems, and we switched to a separate sound card in no time. Clean the Realtek drivers with Driver Cleaner Pro (the latest free version is still on Softpedia).

What sound card have you bought?

Have you tried removing some RAM? A socket 939 CPU only runs at full speed with two sticks installed, and with 3gb, you obviously have more than two sticks.
 
Thanks for the reply.

I tried a OS reinstall and for some reason it worked for a few days then one day it started happening. I even restored my computer back to that day when it was working and it didn't help.

I bought a pretty cheap sound card just to try eliminate the problem but it didn't help.

I know for a fact its the sound drivers because whenever I do remove them my computer works fine without sound.

I will try cleaning my computer with Driver cleaner pro, thanks for the tip.
 
Looks like you had problems with your video card as well?

1. Try using just 2GB of RAM, the system will run faster with just two RAM sticks.

2. I saw that in your video card problems thread, the video card's PCI-Express bus was running at 8x rather than 16x. Is the bridge installed in the second video card slot? Also, in the BIOS settings, set the PCIe bus width in manual mode at Single-card, 16x.

3. Disable Cool'n'Quiet, and put the CPU fan in 100% mode, disable the auto speed feature.

4. Make sure the AMD CPU drivers are installed:
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=153
http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/dyn...cd2c08-1432-4756-aafa-4d9dc646342f&ItemID=173

5. What is your RAM model and specs? Adjust that manually in the BIOS, TWO STICKS ONLY, and set the RAM timings to 2T, even if the RAM is said to have 1T timings. AMD 939 CPUs can't always handle 1T.

6. There are three connectors supposed to go from the PSU to the mainboard, are they all there? (I'm talking about the Molex one especially)

7. Disable all the useless peripherals in the BIOS: Serial ports, Parallel, audio codec, NIC boot BIOS, etc. Strangely, note that IDE has to be enabled to use SATA.

8. Are the southbridge drivers installed?
http://www.nvidia.com/page/uli_drivers.html
Install Integrated213, and NEVER select the chipset's own USB drivers. They're just good for trouble.
You can then manually install the SATA drivers from Integrated220 if you want.
 
Basically the problems started happening after I purchased a new Radeon HD4870.

However my problem doesn't seem to lie with it being my video card, like I have said, everything runs fine without sound.

I am using a 1x OCZ 1gb and a further 2x 1gb OcUK sticks, so all together 3gb.

I am running vista if that is any consolation.

Regarding the video card, I tried running my card in both slots, probably at the time of the screen shots my card was in the second slot, however I will make sure the pcie bus is set 16x.

Tried downloading those links for my processer but only one worked as I'm using vista.

I have 3 PSU leads connecting to my motherboard so I guess thats them all..

Also, the nvidea link, I'm using ATI can that link still be any use for me?

Thanks alot for your help by the way.
 
nVidia bought ULi, who made the southbridge.

I think all the drivers are included with Vista, so no need to bother with that.

Do you have the little card to plug in the second slot when using one of them only?

I am using a 1x OCZ 1gb and a further 2x 1gb OcUK sticks, so all together 3gb.
Yeah, but the CPU has dual channels, if you use one RAM stick, it's running in single-channel mode. If you use two RAM sticks, it's running in dual-channel mode (twice the bandwidth). If you use 3 sticks, it's back to single channel, and if you use 4, it's dual-channel, but the FSB is going down to 333MHz instead of 400.

You should try a cheap X-Fi working on the PCI-Express bus. Generic cards are no better than onboards.
 
Back
Top