Sound crackling in crossfire with vsync on

song414

Limp Gawd
Anyone have this? Seen it all over the internet. I can't use drivers higher than 13.2 betas because if a game has vsync on and crossfire enabled the sound crackles/gets distorted.

Anyone find a fix besides rolling back? Would love to play bf4 with mantle but not at the expense of my games that have vsync on having sound crackling issues.

Anyone have this? Seen it all over the internet. I can't use drivers higher than 13.2 betas because if a game has vsync on and crossfire enabled the sound crackles/gets distorted.

Anyone find a fix besides rolling back? Would love to play bf4 with mantle but not at the expense of my games that have vsync on having sound crackling issues.
ive experienced this too. I just shut off vsync. It doesn't seem to impact all games, at least for me.

I have noticed this too on 2 Asus DCU 290X's on an Asus P8Z77 series motherboard (I used Tomb Raider menus as the check). I'm curious if anyone doesn't have the issue. VSync On = Issue, Off = No Issue.

From what I seen around the web, it seems limited to the 290 & 290x. I'm figuring it's because of the lack of the interconnect (extra data across the bus).

Interesting note: This occurred on both my MB Built in sound & a USB Headset.

Unfortunately... this was a deal breaker for me so I no longer have the cards.

Last edited:
Stopped mining on my cards (Sapphire tri-x OC 290X) to try and reproduce this and couldn't. Played Tomb Raider, Bioshock Infinite, Darksiders 2, GRID2, SC2, Diablo3, Hearthstone, Age of Empires II HD and even some BeatHazard and all sounded fine.

I haven't used a sound card since the HD4k days though and I see at least one person with the problem using one. It's a complete waste using a sound card ever since it's been possible to bitstream audio to a receiver (which is what I do), even more so now that True Audio exists.

P.S: I also have disabled the on-board audio on my ASUS P6T Deluxe via the BIOS.

Last edited:
I haven't used a sound card since the HD4k days though and I see at least one person with the problem using one. It's a complete waste using a sound card ever since it's been possible to bitstream audio to a receiver (which is what I do), even more so now that True Audio exists.
TrueAudio doesn't replace an actual sound card or receiver/DAC.

I also had this sound card before bitstreaming was supported on all major cards, so the only "complete waste" would be spending money buying an additional receiver when I already have a working setup that sounds extremely good :cool:

The games I've experienced the problem with are The Witcher 2 and Far Cry 3 during cutscenes. The problem gets worse when you drop below 60fps. >60fps it's not really noticeable, at least for me.

I have the issue and am using onboard sound on my Gigabyte z87x-ud4h

I have suffered from this issue but, 14.1 drivers and beta 9.2 drivers worked just well.
So I'm running the 14.1 drivers currently and I'm not experiencing this at all.
Additionally every single time I've had crackling it was accompanied with the dpc latency skyrocketing, causing a lot of lag.

14.1 drivers

13.11 beta 9.2

Last edited:
It's not AMD but have this sound distortion/crackling appear in BF4 with or without vsync with 332.21 drivers.

I started seeing this with my 7970s and 13.12, it happens with my 290x cards as well. Not sure about the v-sync, I’ll have to mess with that. Dota 2 is really bad.

I sincerely hope they fix it in the next driver

I've gone back to the 13.11 WHQL, but every time I launch bf4, I get a warning and i have to close battlelog when i play. I also had to to disable frame pacing for bf4 to they get a smooth frame rate.

This is with two MSI gaming 290.

Had this issue with asus sound card and msi 660ti. Moved the sound card and stopped the problem. Was too close to the cards VRMs. Got my current sound card n didn't have the issue. Would make sense if ur using a sound card and it's close to the bottom card. Doesn't do it when not using crossfire as bottom cards not loaded.

Had this issue with asus sound card and msi 660ti. Moved the sound card and stopped the problem. Was too close to the cards VRMs. Got my current sound card n didn't have the issue. Would make sense if ur using a sound card and it's close to the bottom card. Doesn't do it when not using crossfire as bottom cards not loaded.
I have an EMI shielded sound card, plus I only experience this issue on drivers newer than 13.11 Beta 9.2. I'm fairly confident it's not a hardware problem.

Doesn't matter my sound card was emi shield crap. How hard is it to move the sound card ? Worth a shot. Notice your card is also asus. There's bunch of people on rog forums that had same issue. Switched to creative and problem completely solved.

it's a driver issue... AMD has three different threeads about this on theire support forums.

Doesn't matter my sound card was emi shield crap. How hard is it to move the sound card ? Worth a shot. Notice your card is also asus. There's bunch of people on rog forums that had same issue. Switched to creative and problem completely solved.
I hate CL and I would use onboard sound before switching to Creative :eek: Haha.

I can't move my sound card around. The only other open slot is sandwiched between both 290X cards which would be worse. The first PCI-E slot is the only open one. Also, since it doesn't happen with earlier driver revisions, I have to believe it's not an electromagnetic problem.

Try using last pcie slot. Don't come to support forum then argue about it. Newer driver could've optimized gpu making it use more power and make VRMs work harder. He'll I could be wrong, but literally takes less than a minute to move sound card. You don't even have to reinstall audio drivers. I'd like to know if op is using asus sound card as well.

I tried it with and without soundcards... bares no effect, and if you use a dpc latency monitor you will see that when crossfire is enabled the dpc latency just skyrockets.

Try using last pcie slot. Don't come to support forum then argue about it. Newer driver could've optimized gpu making it use more power and make VRMs work harder. He'll I could be wrong, but literally takes less than a minute to move sound card. You don't even have to reinstall audio drivers. I'd like to know if op is using asus sound card as well.
I literally cannot move my card as I already explained. I can certainly complain if a software change they made breaks my sound, give me a break.

Never said u couldn't complain. Just that u negated my suggest without trying it.
I know, but with the layout of my board the only two places I can install it are either A) where it is now, at the top or B) wedged between two 290X video cards, where it will choke off the airflow even worse to the top card, which already throttles. So I can't move it :(

I think doing that reduces the bandwidth of the cards from 8x/8x to 8/4/4 but I'd have to try. That's how my last motherboard worked, if you populated the X16 slots it would give them full bandwidth even if they didn't require it.

It is becoming ridiculous this issue is not fixed or at least acknoledged by AMD. It's present for 3 months now. It would be nice if Kyle or somebody else from HardOCP should contact AMD and get a word with them if this ever get fixed.

Last edited:
I think doing that reduces the bandwidth of the cards from 8x/8x to 8/4/4 but I'd have to try. That's how my last motherboard worked, if you populated the X16 slots it would give them full bandwidth even if they didn't require it.
Worth a shot. The last mobo I had ran my audio card at 1x when I put it into the second full-size slot with the GPU in the first running at 16x. (I couldn't use the one half-size 1x slot my mobo had because there was a component on the mobo that prevented the card from being seated properly.)

Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to apologize to you for not being more responsive. I've been traveling for work, and with the recent launch of Kaveri, Mantle, Catalyst 14.1 Beta, and few other projects there haven't been enough hours in the day - I hope you understand.

I wanted to let you know I just exchanged a few emails with my team about this issue, specifically with the guys in customer support which work very closely with the engineering team. They are aware of this issue and will keep me in the loop on any progress they make. In turn, I will update you as soon as I hear anything from them.

By the way, please use our Issue Reporting Form (best way to provide us your feedback):
1. Catalyst 13.12 - http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B4F
2. Catalyst 14.1 Beta - http://www.amdsurveys.com/se.ashx?s=5A1E27D25AD12B21

Thank you all for your patience and for this post. And thank you Rizen for the heads-up! :)

Last edited:
Hello everyone,

First, I'd like to apologize to you for not being more responsive. I've been traveling for work, and with the recent launch of Kaveri, Mantle, Catalyst 14.1 Beta, and few other projects there haven't been enough hours in the day - I hope you understand.

I wanted to let you know I just exchanged a few emails with my team about this issue, specifically with the guys in customer support which work very closely with the engineering team. They are aware of this issue and will keep me in the loop on any progress they make. In turn, I will update you as soon as I hear anything from them.

By the way, please use our Issue Reporting Form (best way to provide us your feedback):

Thank you all for your patience and for this post. And thank you Rizen for the heads-up! :)

Finally,.. thank you for your time and response. I hope the driverguys have allready made some progress adressing the issue as others and I have send reports months ago about this. It's really hurting the 290 Crossfire experience/value.

I have the same problem with a couple of Sapphire 290 Tri-X cards on a Gigabyte G1.Sniper 3. I am using the 290s HDMI port to a receiver for sound. If I disable V-Sync the sound stuttering/distortion stops.

Hello everyone,

Dear God finally, it's not like amd support forums are full of threads about this...

Well some interaction with customers wouldn't hurt. Has the issue finally reached the driver team, or is this an unbreachable horde?

Hello Skinnered,

Yes it has; customer service, engineering and the driver team work closely together.

Back