Sound card for gaming

DirtyApe

Gawd
Hey guys,
I've been doing some research on sound cards for gaming, Pandora, movies and other multimedia useage. I mostly play BF4, WoW, CS:S, and Tera. I have the Razer Tiamat 7.1's and they sound pretty good using onboard sound via Rampage Extreme IV board.
I'd be willing to spend $200 for a quality product.
One question I do have is: Will I even notice a difference using the Tiamat 7.1's? If I were to buy good head phones, which ones do you suggest? I really enjoy the surround sound that the Tiamat's provide so I'd prefer surround sound if possible.

Are you asking about a sound card, or about headphones?

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (non HD version) is what I would recommend. It was the last Creative card that offered hardware processing. Everything since then is software.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019

That is the one I have. I don't have the 5.25" bay installed in my current system.

You can also buy one that doesn't have the bay included.

The current drivers and software work fine in Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

You can find the cards on Ebay.

I just got a Sound Blaster ZXR, and I personally love it.

It sounds WAY better than the onboard ALC898. I was honestly worried I wouldn't be able to notice a difference because I'm deaf in one ear and most people are only interested in surround sound... but it actually cleans up the audio enough that I can understand the words to songs better.

The great thing is that it has RCA outputs that go straight into my speaker's RCA inputs without needing a Y-adapter. It also takes the 1/4" connector my Microphone came with, rather than requiring a USB cable or 3.5mm adapter. I'm not sure if the available connectors are part of why it sounds better, but that could be a part of what I'm noticing.

It looked pretty good in this review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/soundblaster-zxr-review,1.html

hmmm , i might have to get this sound blaster. I use to use a sound blaster but it just seemed pointless after a while, onboard audio in the new motherboards is pretty good. Been buying audio cards since 2005. Now I use those desktop audio cards for my headphones much better then the audio cards ive been using.

THe SB series does gaming better than anything I have heard to date. Especially BF4. You don't have to get the ZxR though. The Zx is really good too. WIth your headphones I would just get the Zx.

Back