• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Sound card for gaming

DirtyApe

Gawd
Joined
Nov 6, 2003
Messages
860
Hey guys,
I've been doing some research on sound cards for gaming, Pandora, movies and other multimedia useage. I mostly play BF4, WoW, CS:S, and Tera. I have the Razer Tiamat 7.1's and they sound pretty good using onboard sound via Rampage Extreme IV board.
I'd be willing to spend $200 for a quality product.
One question I do have is: Will I even notice a difference using the Tiamat 7.1's? If I were to buy good head phones, which ones do you suggest? I really enjoy the surround sound that the Tiamat's provide so I'd prefer surround sound if possible.
 
Are you asking about a sound card, or about headphones?

Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium (non HD version) is what I would recommend. It was the last Creative card that offered hardware processing. Everything since then is software.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16829102019

That is the one I have. I don't have the 5.25" bay installed in my current system.

You can also buy one that doesn't have the bay included.

The current drivers and software work fine in Windows 7 and 8/8.1.

You can find the cards on Ebay.
 
I just got a Sound Blaster ZXR, and I personally love it.

It sounds WAY better than the onboard ALC898. I was honestly worried I wouldn't be able to notice a difference because I'm deaf in one ear and most people are only interested in surround sound... but it actually cleans up the audio enough that I can understand the words to songs better.

The great thing is that it has RCA outputs that go straight into my speaker's RCA inputs without needing a Y-adapter. It also takes the 1/4" connector my Microphone came with, rather than requiring a USB cable or 3.5mm adapter. I'm not sure if the available connectors are part of why it sounds better, but that could be a part of what I'm noticing.

It looked pretty good in this review: http://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/soundblaster-zxr-review,1.html
 
hmmm , i might have to get this sound blaster. I use to use a sound blaster but it just seemed pointless after a while, onboard audio in the new motherboards is pretty good. Been buying audio cards since 2005. Now I use those desktop audio cards for my headphones much better then the audio cards ive been using.
 
THe SB series does gaming better than anything I have heard to date. Especially BF4. You don't have to get the ZxR though. The Zx is really good too. WIth your headphones I would just get the Zx.
 
Back
Top