Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma Gaming Headset Review @ [H]

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Sound Blaster Tactic3D Sigma Gaming Headset Review - Creative and Sound Blaster are longtime name brands when it comes to personal computer sound products and recently it has been diversifying even more. One the heals of its WoW headset, now comes the Tactic 3D Sigma. Worth your hard earned money?

looks nice. I wish these were available at best buy or microcenter.

I tried the Tactic3D Alpha and I was not impressed. The build quality was weak, as the review mentioned, and the analog quality was far inferior to the quality provided by the USB module. I only tested using my cell phone and laptop, however, so it's possible a dedicated sound card would have provided better results. The sound with the USB module was decent, but not good enough for me to keep them.

I ended up buying the Corsair HS1 USB at Microcenter for $100 iirc. If I could have bought these Sigmas for $80 I would rather have done that.

These are really good headsets, and I love the "solid" look of these headsets.

And guys, you are hoping CREATIVE includes software/drivers? let alone GOOD ones? haha oh man, thats the only reason they aren't the biggest company ever!

The issue of not coming with a CD actually makes me personally happy, as I just keep the CD in the box and download more current drivers and software online. Makes for less waste.

However I still have friends without internet connections, and they would be in need of a CD, so I see how it could still be needed.

Read the review of the Corsair on this website.
Posted via Mobile Device

Nice to see they have learned from the WoW headset disaster and made the bands metal on the high-end one. Too bad Creative already lost my business for good.

I have a 5.1 headset currently and am very wary to try something like the Corsair, would it give me better positional audio than a true 5.1 or 7.1 headset?

(I ask this seeing that the Corsair has Dolby Surround, but it says nothing about 5.1 or 7.1)

The only way you could upgrade your 5.1 set is if you have the Zalman one, because it's not very good. If you have the TB HPA2, the Psyko 5.1, the Roccat Kave or a Sharkoon 5.1, you'd be hard pressed to find a worthwhile upgrade.

Wow, ok. I had read several other reviews, and most were praising the directional capabilities of the psyko. If this one is right however I stand corrected, for this model only though. You can't compare true directional audio with emulated positional audio, even though the latter is obviously better than normal stereo.

I'm not that concerned any more about being directed to a website for software/drivers. I can see where many would not ever do that, but I can't remember installing anything from the discs that come with PC stuff. I ALWAYS assume there's newer stuff on the manufacturer's website, so go there. I generally just trash the discs.

I'm sure it's a cost saving measure for Creative, but it doesn't bother me much.

@Anisotonic, I've not seen any positive reviews on the Psyko's in the handful I read.

Thanks for the review. I've been in the market for a new pair of all-purpose headphones (music and gaming). I liked what the WOW headset had to offer but wasn't interested in the WOW look.
Placed an order for the Sigmas on Amazon and they'll be delivered Saturday!

flame me if you will but IMO the Creative s/ware is pretty bloody good at directional emulation - has been for a while. Add Crystalizer when appropriate and you have an excellent sound stage if you use decent 'phones or speakers. As long as you custom install and skip stuff you don't use, it's impressive sounding and easy to use. I imagine this 1 is no different.
PS, thnx for the arti K, luv ya work

Great review, Earl and Kyle - so now it is time to decide between this and the Corsair.

I have one question for you guys:

You write in the review:
We monitored task manager repeatedly and Windows' AudioDG.exe ranged from 1% to an infrequent 9% CPU usage. If you run a lot of programs simultaneously, you will want to take our observations during gaming into account.

But it couldn't find anything about CPU usage in the Corsair HS-1 review. How does they compare, if you have the data at hand?

I really wanted to like the alpha version of these headphones. They sounded good but the amount of tweaking needed per game to make them sound good is exhausting to me, personally. The ear cups of the sigma are horribly small from the sides and crush your ears. I can't say the same about the sigmas though as I haven't used them personally. Nonetheless the both have the same software and pretty much same hardware apart from different driver sizes. As I said before,the sound is decent but requires a fair amount of tweaking per game. There is also that nagging feeling of "virtual" surround sound and not real 5.1. I was disappointed as I had to choose stereo headphones instead of 5.1 in windows audio manager.

I returned the alpha headsets and got the Turtlebeach Hpa2. Now they are real 5.1 headsets with 8 speakers and boy they are satisfying. Even with on-board audio I can use them in full surround mode The headset is very comfortable and the sound is amazing. They are similar in price to the sigma as well. I would recommend them whole heartedly. the oly draw back to them is that you have to buy a separate cable for them to work correctly in stereo mode if you don't have a surround card in your system, like say in a laptop.

I do not recommend choosing 5.1 in your game's audio settings when you are wearing these in either USB or analog modes. These headphones are not like the Corsair HS1, they do not profess to have 5.1 capability. Choose stereo in your game or two channel and then use the upmixing of the Sigma software to give you the "up and down, side to side" you need for your game.

When a headphone is not 5.1, I cannot stress enough that people that choose 5.1 in a game's configuration options will be downmixing the sound already to stereo, and then upmixing again with the Sigma software. Choose stereo or 2 channel in your game. Then go to your Sigma control panel and vary your settings for surround, etc.

You will have a much better experience.

Earl,
I too am curious about CPU usage with the Corsair vs the Sigma's. I was planning on the Corsair's, but I tend to do more movies, music, and SP gaming than MP gaming. But I'd prefer to not have up to 9% of my CPU used by the audio card. Any idea? Thanks for the great article.

I returned the alpha headsets and got the Turtlebeach Hpa2. Now they are real 5.1 headsets with 8 speakers and boy they are satisfying. Even with on-board audio I can use them in full surround mode The headset is very comfortable and the sound is amazing. They are similar in price to the sigma as well. I would recommend them whole heartedly. the oly draw back to them is that you have to buy a separate cable for them to work correctly in stereo mode if you don't have a surround card in your system, like say in a laptop.

Congrats, really happy for you, hope you'll enjoy them as much as I do. If I may, I recommend the following for the amp: front: 4.5 surround: 8.5 center: 5 and sub: 5 (adjust to taste), over the years I found this to be the best balance. Also, take a liquid paper pen, then turn the amp on but just barely, leaving it at minimum, and make a little mark on the knob adjacent to first indicator bar. that way you don't blindly set your master volume every time. Finally, it may seem obvious but there's way to wear it, make sure it's pushed back towards the back of your head as much as possible (when using surround content, that is).

But, I can't see why would they not work in stereo analog mode with any laptop? Don't all laptops have a 1/8 stereo headphone jack? Not sure I follow you on that one...

Looks to be a good headset. If I used headsets or headphones I might of given these a try. Dunno though why Hardocp made a big deal of Creative not including a CD. Personally I never use them as the drivers are usually outdated by the time the user gets it. I actually thought it was a good choice not to include (and absorb the cost of) the mostly worthless plastic.

A bit of necromancy here, but if you live near a Fry's Electronics, check your local paper--in Texas they are offering them for $49 AR ($69 before rebate).

Just started using this headset based off the good review here. And WOW very impressed. Probably the best sounding "gaming" headset out there IMO. I have been through quite a few over the last 2 years- Logitech 930, Corsair HS1, Creative Fatality, Sennheiser HD555, Turtle Beach DPx21, including those and all the DJ cans I have used over the years(Sony, and Pioneers) I have to say these beat them all surprisingly. They are very bass heavy(which I love) so stay away if your not a bass head, and the software is kinda wonky(had to re download drivers multiple times to get it to work with W7 64) but otherwise these are amazing for the money. Comfortable, THX surround works very well with positional audio, and overall great soundstage.

Hi Earl,

I've registered with the forum just to ask you a question. I loved reading your reviews of the corsairs hs1 as well as the creative tactic sigma. I'm having difficulty deciding between the 2 and was wondering if you could help me.

I plan on using the headphones for the up and coming Diablo 3 game almost exclusively with some light FPS games the odd time here or there. With that said, the impression I got was for movies, music and general better sound (kicking bass!), I should go with the Tactic Sigma's. If my highest priority was precise location sound, then go with the HS1's.
=========================================

Is my understanding correct?

If so, for my needs, I'm thinking I should go with the Tactic Sigma's (they're both the around the same $ here) as they will give me better sound at the expense of pin point accuracy?

*HS1's are definitely better with accuracy, but are the Sigma's bad by comparison? or just not as good but still acceptable for an occassional FPS gamer?

==========================================

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Brian

Since I just bought theses, let me post my impressions. (I am let's say a typical consumer, gamer. not audiophille. My previous set was fatal1ty MK2 and I liked it)

I've got sound blaster tactic360. That is exactly a tactic3d sigma headset but with amplifier for xbox 360 instead of thx usb sound card + cable of the set itself is only 1meter long and lack volume control. It is on amplifier which cable is like 3 meters long.

5gPqP.jpg

Interesting thing is that amplifier is totally separate device which can be used with any headphones on any device... with bad resoults outside of it intended 360 use....

anyway:
first console impressions. The amp really does it's job. no electric noise or anything. it is powered by usb in console and connected by jack to 360's rca cables (splitter).
Without amplifier the sound always lacked a punch and was just quiet. 360 uses TV amp and it is just not present when console is conencted to pc display as in my case. So amplifer makes huge difference.
before I had to max my MKII headphones volume and it was still a bit quiet. Now I would easily go deaf if I had it maxed. The bass is fantastic(it is a typical creative bass but a bit deeper) and sound is clear overall. No noise etc.

The amp is usesless on my pc tho. It gives insane amount of electric noise... but it is not needed on my pc. headphones just plug the old traditional way via analog plug (since the cable is only 1meter long I am using jack extender cable).
The sound on pc is also fantastic and loud. I really like the bass and loudness of this set, while sound stays clear. The earbuds vibration is just lovely with that 50mm drivers :p The sound reproduction might not be anywhere near audiophille levels of acceptation but It is loud, clear, deep bass and not any kind of noise. That is enough for my needs.

The only minus is no volume control on pc as I've said before but thankfully my g11 keyboard have it's own windows volume wheel and it works well.

Besides the looks of headset which some might just like and other don't (I like the looks. I have sentiment for sound blaster logo since my childhood and that sb logo on earbuds, besides plexi looks nice and classy.)
The build seems sturdy just as in hard review.

Overall. I like it and would like to recommend it to 360 users who don't have any kind of dac or amp and would like to get it all bundled and ready to use. For pc use - I am listening to music right now and I like it... but I better do not touch this topic with so many aggressive audiophilles nearby :D (peace) One thing I notice during my search for headphones is how ignorant and aggressive some folks are, who have not even remotely listened to the set and are completly ignoring it because it's a "computer set" ;) Not everyone have to be a top class music listener

Brian,

Your assumptions are correct. My response may be simple but you understood my point.

The Corsair USB headsets do an okay job with music, but the Tactic Sigma had some serious bass. It sounds better than the Beats by Dre Studio headphones and the Soul by Ludacris.

Hi Earl,

I've registered with the forum just to ask you a question. I loved reading your reviews of the corsairs hs1 as well as the creative tactic sigma. I'm having difficulty deciding between the 2 and was wondering if you could help me.

I plan on using the headphones for the up and coming Diablo 3 game almost exclusively with some light FPS games the odd time here or there. With that said, the impression I got was for movies, music and general better sound (kicking bass!), I should go with the Tactic Sigma's. If my highest priority was precise location sound, then go with the HS1's.
=========================================

Is my understanding correct?

If so, for my needs, I'm thinking I should go with the Tactic Sigma's (they're both the around the same $ here) as they will give me better sound at the expense of pin point accuracy?

*HS1's are definitely better with accuracy, but are the Sigma's bad by comparison? or just not as good but still acceptable for an occassional FPS gamer?

==========================================

Thank you for your help!

Cheers,
Brian

Back