Sorry if asked before... Value video card

ooze

n00b
Joined
Mar 27, 2005
Messages
34
I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times before but I'll ask it anyway. I don't want to spend more than £150 (UKP). What's the best AGP card to buy for light gaming and regular Windows stuff?
 
you're obviously not in the states.....but if you were newegg has a radeon 9800pro non-bastardized for $160.....

too bad they don't ship international. I'm not sure of any dealers and what prices are on things where you live, but I'd say a 9800pro is a nice bad if you can get one.....

also, maybe consider a geforce 6600/6600gt if available in price range.
 
Im not quite sure what UK money translates to, but a 9600XT would be a good choice.
 
Hate_Bot said:
Im not quite sure what UK money translates to, but a 9600XT would be a good choice.
150 pounds is a good deal of dollars... enough for the 6600 GT... unless prices in Europe are higher.
 
Is UK money GBP? If so you have $280USD, Not sure what an X800XL costs there, if it's not to much over, thats a good choice, if not, then a 6800NU is an even better choice.
 
In my experience it's not quite like that. Retailers with no incentives to reduce price, 17.5% sales tax, etc. I'd think the US equivalent to what I can buy here for £150 wouldn't be more than $200. Let's see... A Gigabyte GV-R96X128D (9600xt) is £90.
 
$200 = 6600GT. Nothing else in this price range is comparable until the 6800nu's drop to this price point. Or I guess even better if the x800xl's do :). But I think we'll probably see a drop in 6800GT prices and then a drop in 6800nu's almost into the range of 6600GT's.
 
The shop I'm looking at has the Gigabyte GV N66T128D for £125, which is within my limit. How's that stack up?
 
ooze said:
The shop I'm looking at has the Gigabyte GV N66T128D for £125, which is within my limit. How's that stack up?

Is that a 6600GT? If so thats a good brand.

EVGA or BFG would be better, and XFX is good, and has dual DVI. But gigabyte os fine.
 
I'm leaning towards the BFG in that case... but the OC'ing, would that add significantly to the temp inside the case? I've only got the PSU fan in there (apart from CPU) as I don't want the PC to sound like a jet engine.
 
ooze said:
I'm leaning towards the BFG in that case... but the OC'ing, would that add significantly to the temp inside the case? I've only got the PSU fan in there (apart from CPU) as I don't want the PC to sound like a jet engine.

What case do you have? Most people here run fan controllers. Set to minimum they will pretty much kill any fan noise dead whilst maintaining a gentle airflow, which is generally a good idea - overclocking or not.

To give you an idea. I had a stock PC from Evesham Technology (an old Athlon 700 with a GF2 GTS). That thing ran at approx 50c under load with a case temp of 42. I added a single fan to the rear & dropped my CPU to 42 under load & my case to 33. Barely audible, really effective upgrade.

Cheers :)
 
2 USD : 1GBP

roughly right now


definately go for 6800NU or 6600GT shouldnt be over 150
 
The only fans I have in my case ar my CPU and my PSU...


I keep the doors off....


Then again, My computer really isnt that hot...




(My CPU fan is kept on, by a long stock, with a piece of styrophome... it will fall of, its just wdged on...)



Damn cheap Epox mobo, with the fan retention doodads breaking of...
 
I've ordered the BFG along with a new case for better cooling. Thanks for the advic everyone.
 
The case accounted for more than I thought, so I went for the Gigabyte 6600GT instead... and framerates have taken a dive into the toilet!!!!!


I had a GF4Ti, and expected this to be an upgrade. Instead, it's a lot worse. What gives :confused:


Edit/
I should have seen the message 'card is operating on low power'. I didn't have the power cable plugged in. I'm a moron. Thanks for reading this message :p
 
ooze said:
I'm sure this question has been asked a zillion times before but I'll ask it anyway. I don't want to spend more than £150 (UKP). What's the best AGP card to buy for light gaming and regular Windows stuff?

Just curious, do you play CS:S? I always play with a guy named "ooze" and if thats you, just weird. I am Patman on CS:S, let me know.
 
By the way now that the power is plugged in :rolleyes: I'm happy with the card. Thanks for the advice everyone.
 
Back
Top