Sony Wants Watermarks And Online Authentication Before Each Movie

You know, I would have zero issue with my equipment or media having a personalized ID embedded in them. As long as it was not intrusive at all.

It sure beats Internet Verification, KeyCodes, Zone Restrictions, Lawsuits,

I don't have to call GM everytime I start my car, or have the original paperwork with it.

My bitch with DRM is when it stops me from using something I paid for. Which sadly, is pretty common.

Meh, by the time I'm ready to buy a 4K TV the DRM on 4k content will have been cracked. As of now 1080P on my 37in tv/monitor is fine and I doubt I would be able to tell the difference on a TV unless it was 55in or bigger

You know, I would have zero issue with my equipment or media having a personalized ID embedded in them. As long as it was not intrusive at all.

I don't have to call GM everytime I start my car, or have the original paperwork with it.

My bitch with DRM is when it stops me from using something I paid for. Which sadly, is pretty common.

Of course, if someone else gets ahold of your copy, you're pretty much on the hook for one hundred...BILLION DOLLARS. ;)

The more I think about it, the more I realize that a PC isn't really a hacking tool anymore in a sense that it's allowing end users to get content illegally. instead it's a tool that allows legitimate users who are tech savvy get around stupid bullshit like this, despite them obtaining the content legally.

I think you're spot on the money here; if I take anything away from this news article/thread, it's what you've just hit on.

If I put in a disc and it doesn't play, I'm returning the whole unit. Why? BECAUSE IT'S BROKEN! :D

Do an experiment. No cheating.

At 11' away, have 3 friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
Focus on the center friend. Look right at their nose.
Don't pan your eyes, at all.

Are the friends to the left and right smiling, frowning, or straight faced?

You can't do it.

The techies never took biology.

What we NEED is a very high res monitor for 3° of center vision, the rest can be VGA. We need to track the human eye position (30+ year old tech) and peak the res in just that area.

You would need less bandwidth than normal color TV transmissions if you can pull it off.

Cliff Notes. Only a small area of your vision is high definition. 97% of it sucks.

Well you spotted the first problem, the point of focus needs to move as it is not always centered.

You missed problem number two which is low resolution contributing to a sense of choppy motion. Your peripheral vision isn't good at details, but it is awesome at detecting motion.

You also missed number three, which is that there will most likely be more than one viewer, and they may not be looking in the same place.

Your concept might work for video games ala the oculus rift where head tracking takes care of the looking elsewhere problem for the most part, but even with a single viewer, I'm not necessarily always looking at what the director thinks I should be.

Your concept might work for video games ala the oculus rift where head tracking takes care of the looking elsewhere problem for the most part, but even with a single viewer, I'm not necessarily always looking at what the director thinks I should be.

Moreover, even for video games with vision tracking, latency issues could keep the high resolution part of the image from changing as quickly as we can perceive shifting our focus to a low-resolution section.

Well you spotted the first problem, the point of focus needs to move as it is not always centered.

You missed problem number two which is low resolution contributing to a sense of choppy motion. Your peripheral vision isn't good at details, but it is awesome at detecting motion.

You also missed number three, which is that there will most likely be more than one viewer, and they may not be looking in the same place.

After thinking more, and drinking less, it would not change the bandwidth required, as the media won't know where you are going to be looking. While it could optimize decoding speed by using a Kinect style device that can see your eyes, it doesn't fix the bandwidth.

Not even headset or glasses would fix it.

Fail. :D

These companies have no clue on how to manage their IP. This just proves that they don't care about their consumers because they are IP front heavy. What is the point of making content if you are going to hamstring your users over and over and over again? Most people won't care. They will plunk their money down, unwrap it, and play it. Herp Derp.

People like us that are at least technologically savvy and know what a pain in the ass all of this is. Most folks don't and will just wonder why stuff doesn't work, spend time on the phone to a CS that will try to walk them through. I will never collect anything like movies or tv shows or even games. It's pointless because of how consumable it is. Why do I want to watch iterations of a movie that get fed back to me on a DVD? I'm sure there is a huge market for alternative endings, outtakes, actor discussions, etc. I just want to see the end product and enjoy it. What Sony and other companies that implant this kind of DRM into their product are just clueless about what consumers want and it isn't this.

It's not even that. It's the fact that these companies tell you in their EULA's or usage agreements that you really don't own a thing. Even though you are in possession of the physical media, the content on it doesn't belong to you and therefore you have to use it the way they tell you to. That's what a lot of people don't get.

Do you have a blu-ray? Because sony won the last format war.

Not really. Laser disc movie media sales is down 40% from 9 years ago. (Blueray+DVD)

The laser disc as a media format is in rapid decline.

Broadband distribution is about to push it aside over the next decade.

Do you have a blu-ray? Because sony won the last format war.

Blu-ray won he battle but lost the war (so far). DVD still kicking its ass and now digital is starting to creep right by it too.

We've said this a million times: If Blu-ray had just taken the initial loss with $50 players and $10 movies, the ONLY choice for consumers would have been "HD or standard...because they are the same price." There wouldn't have been profits for the first year or two but by now there would be no DVDs left and the market would have been all theirs by now.

It's not even that. It's the fact that these companies tell you in their EULA's or usage agreements that you really don't own a thing. Even though you are in possession of the physical media, the content on it doesn't belong to you and therefore you have to use it the way they tell you to. That's what a lot of people don't get.

Basically, you are paying for a license to view the content on the disc. Which would be fine (as long it were made clear), but good luck getting these cocksuckers to replace a damaged disc so you can view the content. Oh, you want to rip the content to a computer so you have a safe back up of the content so you can view it? Well, breaking the DRM is against the DCMA and you are now a criminal.

On the surface, they are trying to protect IP. In reality, they are trying to max out their protential profit by monitoring their customers through their hardware. The whole question isn't about piracy, but privacy. Sony wants to track who watch what when they watch it, and I am talking about those who paid for legitimate materials, not pirates, as pirates can easily bypass all those. I can see that a modded version of 4k TV will arrive on day one, and people, be it pirates or not, will prefer the modded version as it equates to freedom of choice. What does it mean? It means Sony is shooting their own feet.

Google is generating huge profit by acquiring statistics with their tools (search, mail, and youtube), now everyone wants to do the same thing. Well, Google is free. PS4, xbox one and this new 4k TV are not. I need to buy the tool, then buy the material which requires the tool and then hand over all my usage data to ad companies. Suppose people needs to submit their name, address, age, sex and credit card info when they purchase a condom and a electronic data is going to be sent whenever the package opens, will it help reduce unprotected sex?

On a previous thread there was talk of Sony selling a lot of the Media business and I said they should sell it all.

Because media companies are inherently anti-consumer and it conflicts with the consumer electronics business.

Here is just another example.

Good luck Sony. In the words of Scarface say hello to my 4k camcorder pointed at your content.

Not really. Laser disc movie media sales is down 40% from 9 years ago. (Blueray+DVD)

The laser disc as a media format is in rapid decline.

Broadband distribution is about to push it aside over the next decade.

Blu-ray won he battle but lost the war (so far). DVD still kicking its ass and now digital is starting to creep right by it too.

We've said this a million times: If Blu-ray had just taken the initial loss with $50 players and $10 movies, the ONLY choice for consumers would have been "HD or standard...because they are the same price." There wouldn't have been profits for the first year or two but by now there would be no DVDs left and the market would have been all theirs by now.

Popularity of disc formats isn't the point.

The point is Sony got its format to be the next big format. Nothing has changed enough to block them out from doing it again. They won in large part because they are as much a content holder as they are an electronics company.

Back