Sony Wants Watermarks And Online Authentication Before Each Movie

HardOCP News

[H] News
As much as people freaked out over Microsoft requiring a once a day "check in," I can't imagine what they are going to say about this. All 4K content will be watermarked with your identity AND the device has to check in every time something is played on the device? :mad:

If the company has its way, all 4K players will need to authenticate themselves online before each and every playback. This will enable content providers to identify both unauthorized content and hacked players. However, if you are a legitimate customer with no Internet connection – permanently or temporarily – content will not play on your 4K device.

Well I was thinking about getting a ps4 for their 4k stuff but haha god no...

Will hinder average users; will be non-existent for pirates.

... and then I just don't buy it.

Once "Joe consumer" sees from his buddy/family that he can't just pop in a disk and needs to setup his 4k player to use a wireless network and/or sees them get all angry they can't play their disks when their connection is out....... game over man, game over.

And Sony goes back to its rootkit roots, i am not surprised they still sore they lost the Betamax war lol

lol its the only way since HDMI HDCP master key got in to the wild

I am excited about 4k content, but if this is true, I find it highly unlikely I will be buying an official 4k player. I currently own hundreds of discs, but if they do this it is likely I will pirate a large amount of 4k content rather than purchasing due to the fact I want things I own to be available to me all the time, including when the internet is out or I'm in the car/airport lobby/beach/random place that doesn't have internet, but I hauled my player to.

Bandwidth continues to grow, so I doubt file size will be a significant barrier.

I guess this is Sony telling me that I should feel fully justified in becoming a pirate, because that's how I feel when I read this crap.

Yo ho ho, I might actually take the plunge if this happens.

I don't understand.

Am I supposed to piss or spit on their movie before I watch it? :?

I already have had to rip Blu-Ray disks to just to be able to watch them as neither my older stand alone player nor my (totally legit) PowerDVD9 player on the PC would play them correctly. Fool me once...

Then again 4K will likely be worthless for most setups, people sit too far away from the display to see any improvement over 1080p. I'm just hoping they get enough suckers to buy them so the price comes down and I can use one for a computer display.

I think it's going to work this way with the watermarks:

For sad movies, use tears.
For comedies, use spit.
For lousy movies, use urine.
For Adult movies, use semen.

Any custome HTPC will by pass this bs.

PC is dead!! right...

The more I think about it, the more I realize that a PC isn't really a hacking tool anymore in a sense that it's allowing end users to get content illegally. instead it's a tool that allows legitimate users who are tech savvy get around stupid bullshit like this, despite them obtaining the content legally.

Will hinder average users; will be non-existent for pirates.

Which would create more pirates, IMO. I know I'd be tempted. 4K would be a large download, but to not have to deal with that BS? Worth it.

As always, this comes to mind:

piratedvd.jpg

Then again 4K will likely be worthless for most setups, people sit too far away from the display to see any improvement over 1080p. I'm just hoping they get enough suckers to buy them so the price comes down and I can use one for a computer display.

But, for us that can see a difference (11' away from a 110" screen at 1080P), it's very much welcomed. I need/want to upgrade my current projector (Panny 3000AE), but don't want to blow a lot of cash just to have 4K be affordable in a year. I can limp by for another year or so then I'll probably buy what I can. 4K or not. Doubtful, but I can wish.

But, for us that can see a difference (11' away from a 110" screen at 1080P), it's very much welcomed. I need/want to upgrade my current projector (Panny 3000AE), but don't want to blow a lot of cash just to have 4K be affordable in a year. I can limp by for another year or so then I'll probably buy what I can. 4K or not. Doubtful, but I can wish.

Do an experiment. No cheating.

At 11' away, have 3 friends standing shoulder to shoulder.
Focus on the center friend. Look right at their nose.
Don't pan your eyes, at all.

Are the friends to the left and right smiling, frowning, or straight faced?

You can't do it.

The techies never took biology.

What we NEED is a very high res monitor for 3° of center vision, the rest can be VGA. We need to track the human eye position (30+ year old tech) and peak the res in just that area.

You would need less bandwidth than normal color TV transmissions if you can pull it off.

Cliff Notes. Only a small area of your vision is high definition. 97% of it sucks.

Obviously a different division than the PS, but damn, short term memory?

Just wait til the nuclear sub personnel get wind of this ..

I guess this is Sony telling me that I should feel fully justified in becoming a pirate, because that's how I feel when I read this crap.

Yo ho ho, I might actually take the plunge if this happens.

No kidding. I have stacks of DVD's and Blu-rays, but my movie purchases will STOP if this happens. I want to pay and buy movies, but if they want to make piracy the only palatable option, that's their choice.

Another thought: These corporate assclowns are seriously becoming more obsessive about controlling products after sale than the goblins from Harry Potter. That's an amazing feat.

WOW!! Mind blowingly bad move this.
Are they deliberately trying to piss people off. Do companies like this employ individuals to find what would anger customers the most.
I'll be open, and admit that I do pirate movies. I'm not encouraging anyone else to do it. I'm on a not very high income with a family. To buy a genuine Blu Ray disk is around the 15 Euro mark (minimum). I very very rarely watch a film more than once. 15 euro would be prob about 2 hours work after tax. So to be legitimate I have to work 2 hours to watch a film which may turn out to be utter tripe. Even if it's good I'll prob never watch it again unless its on tv in a couple of yrs time.
The 'Bourne' films are some of my favourite, along with 'Taken' and 'Transformers (the 1st obv). I own these films on disc.
To rent a DVD is around 5 euro, no idea what a BD is, but 5 quid is madness.
The likes of Netflix are the way forward. Netflix here (Ireland) is 7 euro a month, which is a good deal. But at the moment our internet isn't up to much with around 4mb down and 0.3 upload speed. To watch a film would mean booting the kids off their consoles/laptops so the bandwidth is available. I get round this when illegally downloading by starting the download just before I go to bed, so come the morning its downloaded ready for that night in full HD.
The earlier post nailed the subject too, with the diagram illustrating the endless crap you have to watch on a genuine disc. Disc intro sequencies should be used for interrogating prisoners instead of waterboarding, its far worse.
The movie industry needs to learn that WE will dictate how and when we want to watch their content, not the other way around. Their constant law suits and draconian measures do them nothing but harm. They seem completely ignorant to the world around them, with a 'Hitler' like mentality. Determined to force us to do things their way, for their price, on their terms. What part of their customer relations departments think its ok to sue children for downloading.
Pirating is not half the problem its made out to be. I would not have bought a single one of the films I have downloaded illegaly. I'd rarely watch more than one film a week downloaded. Once watched its deleted.
I remember about 25+ yrs ago when E.T. was out in the cinema watching a pirate copy at my uncles house. Pirated VHS was everywhere, it was far easier to do. Just awfull quality most of the time. When I was a teenager I'd listen to the top 40 on the radio every sunday, and record all the songs I liked. That was the easiest form of piracy ever, and it was done by most the people I knew.
The biggest threat to piracy comes not from the law suits, or the political lobbying, nor the forcing ISP's to police it. But from Netflix and services like it. When we finally get Fibre in my area, I will be subscribing and will no longer need to pirate.

Back