Sony Shows off Stunning 960fps Slow-Mo Camera in Xperia XZ Premium

Megalith

24-bit/48kHz
Staff member
Sony has published the world's first super slow motion film shot on a smartphone. While the Xperia XZ Premium is not the first phone that can shoot this sort of footage, it is the first to do it at 960fps—quite an improvement compared to competitors, which max out at 240fps. I think the actual image quality needs work, though.

With the Xperia XZ Premium's release date approaching, Sony took to YouTube to release a video highlighting the amazing power of its so-called Motion Eye camera. The video was shot entirely using the Xperia XZ Premium by journalists at Sony's press event in Lisbon. Directed by film-maker Chris Cairns, 120 smartphones captured the stunning scenes using Sony's new Motion Eye camera system. This camera carries with it astounding specs, including the ability to shoot slow motion video at 960fps. To put that in perspective, Samsung's flagship boasts support for only 240fps. I can't believe I can use the word only in that sentence.

they are not done yet with this RGB trend, slow mo exploding colors, half the videos now days have that, from music clips to car ads.

I like the framerate but the actual video quality seems pretty low, even for 720p.

I like the framerate but the actual video quality seems pretty low, even for 720p.

I actually think it's pretty damn impressive for being a cell phone video at 960fps. The S8+ I just picked up can only do 720p 240fps. I'd say it looks a little bit better than the Sony examples here, but only a little, and it's at a quarter of the frame rate.

They shoulda had the slow mo guys do a video... because that video was stupid.
Damn rainbow colors everywhere, hipster dude hitting symbols with paint powder, people standing around in lab coats.

I think I know what my next cell phone is going to be. Been wanting a good slow-mo camera for a while and for a cell phone that is very impressive.

That is very cool for a Phone! and I thought my V20 was good. Sigh...oh well, still love my phone.

Back