Sony PS5 Pre-Event

erek

[H]F Junkie
Anyone else live streaming the event?

"The Sony PlayStation PS5 Game Event - The Future of Gaming - is almost here. In this video I discuss my thoughts and predictions before the event!"

Sony released the specs. We've already seen it can do Unreal 5 at 1440P-30FPS. All that's left is the console shape, price, and which games are coming for it. Since most games are multi-plats, and the console will probably cost about $600 +- 100, and I don't care what it looks like, there's not a good reason for me to get super excited.

I'll probably end up with one at some point, but I'm just not interested in 30FPS gaming anymore.

Yeah, but TVs are smart now and can "FPSmify" your experience using motion interpolation😁👍 you'll love how your 30fps looks like 144fps!! Wow!!
It actually works somewhat on Samsung TVs. It's called Game Motion+. There are some artifacts, but it looks better than you would assume.

Looks fun, but I am going to miss all of those PS4-related AMD Jaguar CPU bottleneck discussions... :D

Yeah, having a 3x theoretical increase in CPU performance makes the Jaguar announcement seem laughable - Jaguar was not even 2x more powerful than the 360!

Yeah, having a 3x theoretical increase in CPU performance makes the Jaguar announcement seem laughable - Jaguar was not even 2x more powerful than the 360!
No, you're wrong, and I'm not going to tell you why. 😅
haha, kidding - you're right, poor Jaguar - that CPU worked so hard to maintain 30fps in Spider-Man and Bloodborne.

haha, kidding - you're right, poor Jaguar - that CPU worked so hard to maintain 30fps in Spider-Man and Bloodborne.

Truthlogo.jpg

I haven't owned a Playstation since back when the 2 came out.
I don't have either PS's but I still have the Xbox.
xbox01.jpg

Hey, at least they waited until Jaguar was released... Could you imagine what a hackjob it would have been shoving together eight different Bobcat dual-cores (the same floating-point throughput as two quad-core Jaguars?)?

And the mess that would have been VLIW5 -powered-GPU?

Hey, at least they waited until Jaguar was released... Could you imagine what a hackjob it would have been shoving together eight different Bobcat dual-cores (the same floating-point throughput as two quad-core Jaguars?)?

And the mess that would have been VLIW5 -powered-GPU?
Oh lord, that would have been soooo bad; no AVX, either.
Those early AMD APUs were... not good, and ran way too hot for their respective TDP.

My first APU was an E-350 dual-core, and ran hotter than a then-Intel 6-core CPU, even with a large HSF.
Jaguar was a massive improvement at the time, and if not for IPC, MIPS, and FLOPS, then just for power and heat efficiency over Bobcat.

I bet the PS5s design will blow away the ashtray schematics of the Xbox series X.
People on the net act like their life is incomplete without one.

I can’t speak to Spider-Mans framerate but I believe the Digital Foundry analysis of Bloodborne shows that for the majority of the game it is a mostly consistent 30fps.......with frametime/framepacing that looks like a richter scale.

I can’t speak to Spider-Mans framerate but I believe the Digital Foundry analysis of Bloodborne shows that for the majority of the game it is a mostly consistent 30fps.......with frametime/framepacing that looks like a richter scale.
Yep, Spider-Man does indeed run at a locked (and impressively consistent) 30fps on the original/Slim/Pro, with an uptick in graphics on the Pro.
Bloodborne, as optimized as it is, will drop below 30fps, even on the Pro, depending on the amount of enemies on screen (close-up - distant enemies have limited frames/animations).

Slime_Scholar_Group_Attack_C.jpg

With the amount of enemies in that room ^ the frame rate dips immensely, but compared to the original/Slim, the Pro does get a more consistent 30fps overall.
Both Spider-Man and Bloodborne seriously need to be ported/upgraded to run on the PS5, as I know the CPU (going from what their respective devs have stated in past years) is the bottleneck and limiter of the frame rate in both of those titles.

Dark Souls 3 is another one that is supposed to be frame-locked to 30fps on the PS4, and in so many areas of the game will it dip down to 10-15fps on the Pro.
This isn't a cut at the game or the consoles, it just is the major limiting factor of what the Jaguar is capable of.

I'm really looking forward to the much more powerful CPU in the PS5, even more so than even the much improved GPU and storage solution it will feature.
Jaguar was a respectable CPU in embedded systems, low-power systems and thin clients, and blade servers of it's era in the early to mid-2010s, but it certainly has run its course and even weak and older ARM Cortex CPUs are modestly faster clock-for-clock at this point, let alone modern x86-64 and ARM CPUs.

Bloodborne never got a pro patch I believe. Only the basic update that all games get with the pro which isn't much.

I'm looking forward to it because maybe I'll finally be able to play my PS4 games with BC the way they were meant to be played...

Sony released the specs. We've already seen it can do Unreal 5 at 1440P-30FPS. All that's left is the console shape, price, and which games are coming for it. Since most games are multi-plats, and the console will probably cost about $600 +- 100, and I don't care what it looks like, there's not a good reason for me to get super excited.

I'll probably end up with one at some point, but I'm just not interested in 30FPS gaming anymore.

" Since most games are multi-plats "

While this is true, I will say the Playstation has and still does have the most exclusive titles out there... especially the ones that I care about.

I'm looking forward to it because maybe I'll finally be able to play my PS4 games with BC the way they were meant to be played...

Pretty much this, I’ve yet to play more than a few hours of every exclusive other than Uncharted 4, The Order 1886 and both Knacks.

I’m really hoping they come out and say at some point that all PS4 first and second party games will have PS5 performance patches across the board. That would be a megaton for me.

Not just backwards compatibility mode.

Pretty much this, I’ve yet to play more than a few hours of every exclusive other than Uncharted 4, The Order 1886 and both Knacks.

I’m really hoping they come out and say at some point that all PS4 first and second party games will have PS5 performance patches across the board. That would be a megaton for me.

Not just backwards compatibility mode.

I'm hoping that it will play at more than 30 FPS. If I compare PS4 Pro to PC playing the same game, the PS4 Pro is virtually unplayable due to the low frame rate. The only game I play anymore on my PS4 is "Everybody's Golf."

Back