Sony Has A PlayStation Phone in the Works?

HardOCP News

[H] News
Let’s all just hope this is a joke. Seriously. That mock up of what the phone could look like is especially horrid too.

There's no question that gaming on the Android platform has heretofore been relatively underwhelming, but that looks like it's all about to change. It seems that Sony Ericsson -- a company that has yet to even introduce an Android 2.0 device -- is at work on a project to redefine gaming on Google's mobile platform.

sweet, just don't sync it to your PC unless you want a rootkit installed :D

honestly though, this isn't a bad idea. One of my major gripes about the iphone and it's games is you're fingers getting in the way of what's happening on the display. Platformers, FPS and other genres that normally require a D pad absolutly suck on a touch screen and/or a mini keyboard.

Lets make this cool gaming phone! Oh. Only a 1ghz snapdragon? I was expecting the dual core chip. Nothing new here. Need to work on the phone pic. The contour of the controller slider doesnt match the phone.

before even reading what the article was about, the subject heading already gave me bad images of a PSP-GO turned phone.....

Of course this is all speculation and could be the best thing since the iphone. anyone else remember the iphone concept how it had like two flippy things that open up to a screen? Oh how wrong those concepts were and now the iphone is the best thing since breathing air.

I don't know what is so horrible about this.. Just because the PSP Go was a failure (was it?), I think this phone would be pretty shit kickin. I would gladly give away my slide out keyboard on my Touch Pro 2 for a d pad and gaming buttons. Mainly for the emu games. And seeing that there is a PS1 emulator for the Android, this thing would be pretty bad ass. Also keeps you from having to buy a bluetooth gamepad to play with your android phone. I absolutely LOVE the idea of being able to break out some SNES, NES, Genesis, N64, or Playstation games when I am bored or waiting somewhere, and not having to whip out the BGP-100 and lay your phone on your lap is a great idea. This phone reminds me of the Samsung Galaxy S with gaming controls.. sounds like a winner to me.

...then of course there is always the question of how thick this thing will be...

Oh how wrong those concepts were and now the iphone is the best thing since breathing air.

No not really. :rolleyes: If it's the best thing since breathing air then I believe with the latest iPhone release you are suffocating due to lack of air. :p

Didn't you guys hear? It's going to be a mock up of the Move controller.

You speak into the lighted golf ball looking end. When your phone rings, it flashes girly colors :D

I'm a PS3 user, and from my experience this is how the Playstation phone will go, Sony will introduce it with wonderful functionality, even have an 'open platform' that allows you to run Linux, then when someone does something Sony doesn't like they'll release a firmware update that will remove the ability to use Linux...

I don't trust anything made by Sony.

And seeing that there is a PS1 emulator for the Android, this thing would be pretty bad ass. Also keeps you from having to buy a bluetooth gamepad to play with your android phone. I absolutely LOVE the idea of being able to break out some SNES, NES, Genesis, N64, or Playstation games when I am bored or waiting somewhere, and not having to whip out the BGP-100 and lay your phone on your lap is a great idea. This phone reminds me of the Samsung Galaxy S with gaming controls.. sounds like a winner to me.

I would absolutly LOVE to have something like this just like you. The problem is that ANY company would release it locked down so you couldn't run any un-authorized hardware on it.

Would be nice to have one of these things running a version of linux or something.

This is what the psp-go should have been :(

Why should we hope its a joke? I would trade a keyboard for a good dpad and set of buttons any day of the week.

I would absolutly LOVE to have something like this just like you. The problem is that ANY company would release it locked down so you couldn't run any un-authorized hardware on it.

Would be nice to have one of these things running a version of linux or something.

Android IS a version of linux...

All I can think of is the immense failure that was the nGage.

As much of a failure the Ngage was, it was the pioneer for modern smart phones. Had Nokia used a wide screen instead of a narrow screen, and a better method for talking on the phone then holding it in a strange position, then the Ngage would have been a success. Oh, and being able to swap the games without needing to remove the battery. Actually, now that I think of it, they fixed some of those problems with the Ngage QD.

We can see that the iPhones are popular as gaming devices. If the iPhones had some physical buttons for playing games, it would be a great gaming platform.

You guys seem to forget about how awesome the Sony Ericsson phones are.

Granted, that's due to the two companies working together, but I'm pretty sure that Sony has learned a thing or two... or 3000, from them.

No you did not fix anything. Sony phones are great but I would not expect poor people like you to be able to afford it, in order to experience it.

Why should we hope its a joke? I would trade a keyboard for a good dpad and set of buttons any day of the week.

No kidding. I've been complaining about this for ages. The closest thing I've seen to a gaming device like this is the Open Pandora. It's not android - but at least it's linux.

Why no one puts a hard d-pad and a couple of buttons on a phone eludes me. I blame it on apple and their no-buttons, minimalistic design. Everyone apes the damn iphone.

honestly though, this isn't a bad idea. One of my major gripes about the iphone and it's games is you're fingers getting in the way of what's happening on the display. Platformers, FPS and other genres that normally require a D pad absolutly suck on a touch screen and/or a mini keyboard.

Same here when gaming on my HTC Desire. Some games put virtual dpads and buttons on the screen, which are hard to hit because you can't actually feel them. Others force you to control the game using just the touchscreen, which is just as awkward. The games that do work quite well are gyro-controlled games like flight sims and racing games, and 2D strategy/RPG games. I did more gaming on my ancient old Samsung dumbphone than I do on my Desire simply because it had physical, tactile buttons.

No you did not fix anything. Sony phones are great but I would not expect poor people like you to be able to afford it, in order to experience it.

Your personal attack is useless and juvenile.

Yes Sony Ericsson phones suck, ever since the failure that was the Xperia X1. Overhyped mess. I was in charge of testing apps, for an online retailer, for that device before release 2 years ago, it was by far the worst device I ever tested that was actually released without half the shit fixed. I had more fun with Blackberry 8700's, which typically suck ass for the apps we sold on our site.

But none of this means anything to you, since you are the know-it-all of phones, and apparently the finances of people you've never met in your life. :rolleyes:

Back