Sony Develops Highly Efficient Wireless Power Transfer System

HardOCP News

[H] News
Sony Corporation today announced the development of a highly efficient wireless power transfer system that eliminates the use of power cables from electronic products such as television sets. Using this system, up to 60 Watts of electrical energy can be transferred over a distance of 50cm (at an efficiency of approximately 80%, approximately 60% including rectifier).

This new wireless power transfer system incorporates a form of contactless electrical energy transmission technology based on magnetic resonance. With magnetic resonance, electromagnetic energy is only transferred to recipient devices that share the identical resonant frequencies as the energy source, so energy transfer efficiency is maintained, even when misalignment occurs. Furthermore, even if there are metal objects located between the transmitter and receiver, no heat induction occurs.

Will my tinfoil hat be enough to stop this newfangled "energy" or will I need to beef up security on the cranium? :confused:

I suspect you will need a proper faraday cage for this one spinelli.

When I was a kid I was told that watching TV would fry my brain... Funny how modern society likes to take things more literally

I think wireless power is the future. Already wireless data devices are taking over the world, and I think the next logical step is to power devices wirelessly. This will create the ultimate clean system, no messy cables behind things. Imagine everything recieving power from a central power hub in your home, take stuff anywhere in the home and have it fully powered with no drain on battery. Just simply walk into homes or buildings or offices and recharge your stuff. I see a great future for wireless power, it is the next step.

Anyone got a link to explain how this works differently than energy being transferred to your food in a microwave? I'm sure its safe and different, I'm just a bit interested.

I wonder how long till electric cars are being powered this way.

SONY announced this?!?!?!?

Pretty sure MIT has had working models of this for 2 years now and intel had another demonstration a year ago. To be fair Tesla had worling models like 100 years ago but nobody wanted to listen to him.

If I had to guess based upon the distances mentioned, this is a type of inductive coupling between the two devices, so you can't cook your burrito by putting it between the two. Very short range stuff too, so IMO this is the biggest waste of space in the universe, you can't have a wire that goes 20 inches yet is nearly 100% efficient over those distances?

Microwaves work by just sending out radiation (radio waves), and waters and fats have a natural resonance for wavelengths along those lines which is why it cooks.

Just make sure not to place your wirelessly-recharging device in one of your front pockets and the wirelessly-transmitting-power device in the other pocket. Imagine the horrors.. :D

and you KNOW that in the state of California, this device will be "known to cause cancer"

Amazing. Nikola Tesla figured this out 50+ years ago. Not only that, he figured out how to transfer energy AROUND THE WORLD with less than 2% energy loss in transmission.

Just make sure not to place your wirelessly-recharging device in one of your front pockets and the wirelessly-transmitting-power device in the other pocket. Imagine the horrors.. :D

You've completely missed the point. If this is what I think it is (although like -Dragon- above, I don't know how Sony is claiming it for themselves), radio waves are not involved, if by radio waves we mean the specific solution of Maxwell's theory popularized by Hertz.

and you KNOW that in the state of California, this device will be "known to cause cancer"
Meh, they have Prop. 65 warning labels on most stores anyways, that covers that basis.

Amazing. Nikola Tesla figured this out 50+ years ago. Not only that, he figured out how to transfer energy AROUND THE WORLD with less than 2% energy loss in transmission.
Right... he figured out how to transfer this energy all over the world with such great efficiency that the Edison clan decided to steal the technology and hide it from the world Mwuahahahahahahaa

Sorry, but I get a kick out of the Tesla nuthuggers mentioning all the crazy shit he did.

im surprised cell phones havent already adpoted this widely. i would love to just throw my phone on the coffe table and it starts charging. also, this WILL be the way we charge our electric cars of the future. drive into garage, done. its charging.

no he didnt. his wireless energy transfer ideas failed because of inefficiency and lack of predictability

Sony is announcing this because *drumroll* theirs is better than everybody elses SOMEHOW. Either its more efficient than previous demonstrations, or more practical, or more extensible... or something. It would be nice to have a single... square... thing... underneath the desk instead of a thousand power cables for the monitor, tower, speakers, lamp, xbox 360, and external HDDs. That many power cables would cause a fire if not properly managed. Could this possibly even be placed in the ceiling? I mean, if they can get it to more like... 3 meters... it would be practical for home use in a manner that you could have them in 3-5 unit formations for large rooms.

In seeming contradiction of that statement, I will never have a wireless keyboard, mouse, or speakers.

It isn't this particular announcement that is amazing, but what this announcement will eventually lead to.

The world needs something to increase electricity demand by 40% since electric cars aren't doing it fast enough.

SONY announced this?!?!?!?

Pretty sure MIT has had working models of this for 2 years now and intel had another demonstration a year ago. To be fair Tesla had worling models like 100 years ago but nobody wanted to listen to him.

I watched a Discovery show about him and he has to be one of the most gifted genius's to have walked on Earth.

Sony is announcing this because *drumroll* theirs is better than everybody elses SOMEHOW. Either its more efficient than previous demonstrations, or more practical, or more extensible... or something. It would be nice to have a single... square... thing... underneath the desk instead of a thousand power cables for the monitor, tower, speakers, lamp, xbox 360, and external HDDs. That many power cables would cause a fire if not properly managed. Could this possibly even be placed in the ceiling? I mean, if they can get it to more like... 3 meters... it would be practical for home use in a manner that you could have them in 3-5 unit formations for large rooms.

In seeming contradiction of that statement, I will never have a wireless keyboard, mouse, or speakers.

It isn't this particular announcement that is amazing, but what this announcement will eventually lead to.

I can imagine a computer case with ZERO power cables running all over the place.

I think Dell incorporates this technology on one of their new business laptops, not sure thou

It's only a matter of years now until this becomes perfected, I bloody well hope so at least. I mean with Tesla having done it a hundred years ago I would hope that modern scientists could figure it out today, considering the countless advances since the days of Tesla and Edison.

On a side not, think of the case mods that could be accomplished without the need for wires :eek:.

Looks like the day of microwave guns ( capable of cooking humans ) are almost upon us.

Look for Monster brand gold-plated ionized air for superior signal transfers ay a BestBuy near you!

Will my tinfoil hat be enough to stop this newfangled "energy" or will I need to beef up security on the cranium? :confused:

Imagine being inside an MRI machine for the rest of your life. Muahhh. Nah probably its frequencies are on another spectrum range.

If I had to guess based upon the distances mentioned, this is a type of inductive coupling between the two devices, so you can't cook your burrito by putting it between the two. Very short range stuff too, so IMO this is the biggest waste of space in the universe, you can't have a wire that goes 20 inches yet is nearly 100% efficient over those distances?

Microwaves work by just sending out radiation (radio waves), and waters and fats have a natural resonance for wavelengths along those lines which is why it cooks.

You're wrong Water does not have a resonance frequency. I used to think the same but is not necessary. You just need it hit it right. I can send you a PM with the RadioWaves book where I discovered it.

I know they're just giving an example, but why does a television set need wireless power? I can understand something mobile like a laptop, but your television isn't going anywhere. Is wireless so cool and groovy that people forget the KISS principle? Cabling is cheap, simple, "efficient", highly available, and scalable; wireless can't beat that.

Advertise new system with cordless power, sell product at a 60% premium to corded products.
Wait 4 years.
Advertise new product as twice as efficient using just one wire, sell at a 60% premium to cordless products.
Repeat cycle

I know they're just giving an example, but why does a television set need wireless power? I can understand something mobile like a laptop, but your television isn't going anywhere. Is wireless so cool and groovy that people forget the KISS principle? Cabling is cheap, simple, "efficient", highly available, and scalable; wireless can't beat that.

Makes it easier to hang a flat panel without unsightly wires. They already have wireless HDMI, wireless power would eliminate the need for running wiring through the walls.

I still find it a bit unlikely to happen anytime soon though... considering how people bitch about plasmas using more electricity than LCDs, I can only imagine what they will say when their TV suddenly needs 40% more :rolleyes:

I heard this type of technology was conceived YEARS, decades ago. And the CIA has it in their basement. I can't remember the scientist name, but I think it was back when Thomas eidson was alive. Someone told me he even powered a house or something as an example but was deemed too dangerous.

Not even CLOSE to highly efficient. I wouldn't even call it "regular" efficient. I won't touch this kind of technology unless it's up to 90% or better.

You're wrong Water does not have a resonance frequency. I used to think the same but is not necessary. You just need it hit it right. I can send you a PM with the RadioWaves book where I discovered it.

well a little further analysis finds that you're wrong, water does have a resonanythice, everything has to! :D Its just that microwaves don't do anything with that frequency, so you're right about that part :)

Man I need to go back to my college and demand my money back for my teacher telling me that!! Should be worth at least $10 of my education :D

I think wireless power is the future. Already wireless data devices are taking over the world, and I think the next logical step is to power devices wirelessly. This will create the ultimate clean system, no messy cables behind things. Imagine everything recieving power from a central power hub in your home, take stuff anywhere in the home and have it fully powered with no drain on battery. Just simply walk into homes or buildings or offices and recharge your stuff. I see a great future for wireless power, it is the next step.

Image the unknown repercussions of this. I absolutely LOVE technology and stuff like this, but we don't really even know what wifi is doing to us yet. I know it's probably 99% safe but.....you never know.

Part of me wants to move to the middle of no where and be a dirt farmer lol.

I don't want to sound ignorant but shouldn't i be worried about these electroc magnetic fields their using to transmit electricity through the air ??

I know you can develop tumors when living/regular exposure under high powered cables that have huge magnetic fields.

Technologies like this worry me :/ Sure it's nice and convenient but where is the health factor in all of this?

Can we really afford to throw 40% efficiency away? I just don't think so.

I can live with a good old power cord.

I think a beanie with a spinner on top, connected to a small M/G, would be more efficient.

Not really a problem. You just yell "Clear!" before turning the TV on.

I don't want to sound ignorant but shouldn't i be worried about these electroc magnetic fields their using to transmit electricity through the air ??

I know you can develop tumors when living/regular exposure under high powered cables that have huge magnetic fields.

Technologies like this worry me :/ Sure it's nice and convenient but where is the health factor in all of this?

Back