Sony Admits Users' Personal Data Was Stolen

HardOCP News

[H] News
It looks like the whole time the PlayStation Network has been down it was due to a data breach. This means that, for the last six days, crooks have had their hands on all your info. This is what the PlayStation blog has to say:

Although we are still investigating the details of this incident, we believe that an unauthorized person has obtained the following information that you provided: name, address (city, state, zip), country, email address, birthdate, PlayStation Network/Qriocity password and login, and handle/PSN online ID. It is also possible that your profile data, including purchase history and billing address (city, state, zip), and your PlayStation Network/Qriocity password security answers may have been obtained. If you have authorized a sub-account for your dependent, the same data with respect to your dependent may have been obtained. While there is no evidence at this time that credit card data was taken, we cannot rule out the possibility.

Anyone else get the sense that this is only going to become more ugly?

Considering the behavior of Sony towards it's user base I don't think they'll get as many people behind them as they might like. Particularly considering it's been problem after problem the past couple months.

Combating piracy by limiting what you can do on your hardware? that's like your ISP banning .torrent, it's just bad policy and skirts the real issue. If i wanted to be told what i can do with my hardware that I paid for then I'd have bought an apple-made gaming product.

No thank you. They got what they deserved.

I guess it came at the right time for me. I'm moving and just changed emails and my address, and just changed credit cards about 2 days ago.

As for the login, I'll just change that when it comes back online. So they have my name and birthday, big whoop.

They got what they deserved.

REALLY? They get inconvenienced, maybe lose a few users.

This whole problem the hackers/attackers have caused is hurting US, THE GAMERS!

It's the infantile hackers that mess things up for us gamers constantly. It doesn't really hurt Sony's bottom line in the long run.

You're part of the problem if you think what these hackers did was good for gamers.

No doubt this is an undercover way to recoup money lost from Final Fantasy 14 Online.....its an inside job.

I'm getting sick and tired of all these data breaches. I hope Sony gets sued to holy hell and that other companies with such breaches have the same fate. That is the only thing I can see to make these companies put more effort into securing users' data.

They're saying they don't know that your credit card info wasn't taken. So you kinda have to assume it was taken, unless you're the type of dude that tends not to worry about stuff.

They seem to fail massively at security. Security is not only about preventing intrusion, but it's also about minimizing the impact of a successful intrusion. Incompetent morons.

Good grief, is Amazon the only bloody place I can trust with my information now?

I'm so glad I don't save my billing info on the PSN network, and if this is the kind of wake up call Sony need about security, then they are in trouble.

I'm wondering how many PSN member's went out and got xbox's during this outage.. Huge blow to Sony..

They got what they deserved.

If they stole Sony's credit cards and info, I would agree with you.

BUT

They stole OUR personal information and credit card info. :( Nobody has been hurt by this except the consumer, no games, no Netflix and now those pieces of crap have your info.

Good security was just too much effort and expense for Sony to bother with; they don't care about anyone's personal information unless they're getting negative publicity about it.

The CD rootkits proved that they don't care about your personal property or data.

The lawsuits filed against Geohot and graf_chokolo show that they feel what's theirs is theirs and what's yours is also theirs.

I hope Sony's customers have learned their lesson.

REALLY? They get inconvenienced, maybe lose a few users.

This whole problem the hackers/attackers have caused is hurting US, THE GAMERS!

It's the infantile hackers that mess things up for us gamers constantly. It doesn't really hurt Sony's bottom line in the long run.

You're part of the problem if you think what these hackers did was good for gamers.

Maybe I wasn't clear...

The stealing CC# info isn't what the users deserved, but Sony now has a pissed off user base and another set of users who aren't empathetic in the least. I've never pirated a game but i'm not unable to play previous playstation titles because they deemed it inappropriate.

Sony: Sorry, I understand you paid for your hardware but you can't do that or that because we'd like to pocket more cash by offering something which was brought about by creative users who managed to make their lives easier.

It's the principle that really ticks me off. If I want to put my iphone on vibrate and make repeated calls to my gay boyfriend have his way with it, apple shouldn't have the right to say no, you can't do that (sorry to be so graphic, but i find it brings the point across a little better =P no, i'm not gay ).

Furthermore, Sony opened a can of worms with that decision. First they pissed off a lot of people, then they got hacked and denied that it was a DNS attack and failed to address it, and now they were hacked and maybe had their customers' private info stolen. It's been one thing after another, and though these things happened due to some pissed off hackers, Sony hasn't been up front and truthful since the beginning.

PS - the stealing CC info isn't an act of dissent, it's a way of making money by stealing someone's identity and absolutely stupid and illegal. But the fact that it can happen is a fault of Sony for not being wary and actually protecting their customers' private and important information.

Yeah because games would rather play with cheaters and hackers right?!?

I'm sure if you ask someone they would say no.. But most of us know its going to happen anyways.. There will always be cheaters no matter what they do or try.. I think most PSN members right now would just like to play and not care who is cheating.. Lets face it Sony as handled themselves like a shotgun.. And now it blew up in there face..

-- snip --

Furthermore, Sony opened a can of worms with that decision. First they pissed off a lot of people, then they got hacked and denied that it was a DNS attack and failed to address it, and now they were hacked and maybe had their customers' private info stolen. It's been one thing after another, and though these things happened due to some pissed off hackers, Sony hasn't been up front and truthful since the beginning.

-- snip --

Well isnt this how things are done in Japan. Lie and commit fraud. look no further than the current nuclear crisis going on. Nothing but cover-ups and lies from both the Japan Gov and TEPCO. So I would bet that Japan corps do the same thing,

Considering the behavior of Sony towards it's user base I don't think they'll get as many people behind them as they might like. Particularly considering it's been problem after problem the past couple months.

Combating piracy by limiting what you can do on your hardware? that's like your ISP banning .torrent, it's just bad policy and skirts the real issue. If i wanted to be told what i can do with my hardware that I paid for then I'd have bought an apple-made gaming product.

No thank you. They got what they deserved.

You didnt buy the hardware, you bought a license to use it at sony's discretion. It sucks, but you agreed to it.

it isnt the same as ISP banning torrents, it is Sony choosing to stop something that we all know would be used for %99.999999999999 of people to play illegal downloaded games.

pretty ironic considered Amazons cloud was recently down for an extended amount of time...

Amazon wasn't hacked. They had a technical issue that caused an outage in one of their data centers. From what I've read, they were also communicated very well with their customers.

Sony was hacked and didn't tell their customers for a week.

well good thing i dont got a psn account. Good luck to anyone who does.

Well, come on guys, its just all your relevant information, whats the worst that can happen right?

I hope Sony plays this right and gives away 12 months of credit protection, because knowing users, they have the same 2-3 passwords and odds are those are shared, and once hole b gets filled with peg a, we're gonna have a shit storm on our hands.

Now, with that said. This makes me happy to be a PC gamer :p

pretty ironic considered Amazons cloud was recently down for an extended amount of time...

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Amazon's cloud was down, that makes his personal information on Amazon less secure how exactly?

You didnt buy the hardware, you bought a license to use it at sony's discretion. It sucks, but you agreed to it.

it isnt the same as ISP banning torrents, it is Sony choosing to stop something that we all know would be used for %99.999999999999 of people to play illegal downloaded games.

That's sort of the same argument Jobs and apple are making: you signed a terms of service that let us track you and store the data forever and ever and we're not going to tell you when or where we're doing it. Sorry, but that still doesn't sit well with me.

Torrents are mostly used for pirating, or at least an overwhelming majority. But if .torrents were banned by your ISP you would still get a backlash from users who run p2p torrent programs for linux distros or game file updates.

Sony could have addressed these issues without stepping on innocent users' toes, but they didn't care.

I wish I knew what cards I had used on PSN. I have a check card and credit card at a credit union where I used to live. And I have a Suntrust check card.

I just turned off the check card from the credit union since I don't really use that checking account anymore anyway. I am going to get replacements for the other two, but did not shut them off yet. Its not too easy to go two weeks waiting for a replacement card, especially when I usually place several orders a week with Amazon.

We don't give Sony our CC numbers just by using PSN, right? I have never paid to download anything, but I can't remember if my number is otherwise in the system.

What I want to know is why passwords and password security answers were not encrypted in the database....that's database security 101...

What pisses me off is in their effort to protect their technology from people pirating it, they have essentially placed personal information for thousands if not millions at risk. It makes you wonder if they deserve to have the legal right to require your personal information in order for you to access their network. This negligence needs to be accounted for.

Does Sony host the PSN info or do they contract it out to Qriocity?

Amazon wasn't hacked. They had a technical issue that caused an outage in one of their data centers. From what I've read, they were also communicated very well with their customers.

Sony was hacked and didn't tell their customers for a week.

"You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means."

Amazon's cloud was down, that makes his personal information on Amazon less secure how exactly?

doesn't matter that it wasn't hacked, doesn't matter that they communicated with their customers. If you had something important on their cloud, you had zero access to it for an extended and indeterminate amount of time. For that reason I do not trust the cloud 100% with my information :)

Back