Sonata 2 vs P150

Ronco

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Oct 6, 2005
Messages
1,308
Which one should I get and why?

What's going inside is very basic - C2D 1.86, Intel DG965OT (using integrated video), single DVD+_RW, two 500Gb Seagata SATAs.
 
I went from a Sonata 1, which is basically the 2 without air ducts, to a P150. Features I subjectively prefer:
- No door
- Hidden drive bays
- White color
- LEDs aren't as bright, the sonata used to light up my room at night

Objectively:
- HDD suspension system, but only allows three drives in this config
- Easier wire routing due to removable panel on motherboard side, and hooks for wrapping wires
- Sound dampening plastic on 3 of four inner panel sides
- Greater airflow than the P150

That's about it, off the top of my head.
 
Yeah - as much as I like the Sonata the P180 experience is leading me towards the P150.

Some people (and from what I've seen on SPCR) have been mentioning problems with the PSU. I do note it's different from the Sonata II's... Any experience on that point, someone?
 
I have 2 Sonata cases, but since I purchased them I am overclocking more agressively. The airflow is insufficient. I found heat issues even when not overclocking (much). The P-180 will be far better with air flow. The 900 will be even better for air.

I do not aggressively OC in my Sonata cases, but they became useless to me for upgrading. Where as if I had done P-180 or 900 (unavailable at the time) I would have still been able to use them.

As to the Wave Master in my sig... It is also a pig for air. (slow learner)
 
I've had the P150 for 4-5 months I believe, no problems with the PSU. If you read into it, I think the PSU problems were with the initial batch or something. I was worried about this as well but with research I found out that the new ones were fine, I don't remember the details though.
 
With the buying the P150 you have to buy from a place with high turnover.

This will keep you from getting an old stock P150. Like I did which ended having one of the defective S05 a21 series neohe 430.
 
Back
Top