• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Somewhat odd question, Macbook Retina interface.

ComputerGeek

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Dec 27, 2010
Messages
1,199
Hello Everyone, I was wondering if anyone thinks something like this might be possible. I love the high res displays on the Macbooks, and I know it would be great for video editing.

So here's my question.

Does anyone think it is possible to somehow interface the Macbook display to a DP or DVI connection? http://www.ebay.com/itm/330806979320.

Now I know that they make boards like this for Laptop Lcds, but they usually only go upto 1920*1200, do you think it would be possible to adapt or make a similar board for the Retina display?



Finally, does anyone know of any high resolution displays under 19," frankly I have been looking and I can't find any thing smaller than a 27"

Thanks!
 
As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I guess it didn't. Here's a detailed assembly guide; you can actually buy the display part of a 15.4" Retina MacBookPro for $900 (they have one). They have a huge picture of how the display data cable connects to the logic board.

I don't know what kind of connector that is, but going by that picture, I would think that connecting the display to anything but the laptop it was designed to go with would be challenging.
 
I guess it didn't. Here's a detailed assembly guide; you can actually buy the display part of a 15.4" Retina MacBookPro for $900 (they have one). They have a huge picture of how the display data cable connects to the logic board.

I don't know what kind of connector that is, but going by that picture, I would think that connecting the display to anything but the laptop it was designed to go with would be challenging.



Ok Thanks yeah that is what I thought, however, I found some new details. Acording to this post the 30 pin cable is the only one that runs to the LCD. http://www.ifixit.com/Answers/View/92815/What+is+the+model+number+of+the+2880x1800+LCD

So both the power for the LED backlight and the Video Signal go though that. In addition, the poster said that the connection is most likely EDP and could probably be converted to DP, and he is planing to work on a board. So there must be a way to get a pin out to DP.
 
It does not seem like a good choice for video editing?
Its a mediocre quality ips panel (compared to desktop monitors you'd get for the same price as butchering a retina macbook) with a non-standard resolution and small size.
If you for some reason want higher resolution, wait for a "4k" display (which actually might be the new standard, soon) or just get some 2560x1440 display?
(edit: still interesting to hear if it works :)
 
Last edited:
See I am working on a project to build a laptop, so I need a panel 19" or under. That is the problem, I would love a 4k display but I still doubt that their will be any 19" or under in 2013.

Do you know of a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 display 19" or under?

I am also somewhat worried about the image retention problem the Retina Macbooks have, I assume that the acual Macbook is not causing this but it is just a bug with the lcd itself? Anyone have any comments on this? How noticeable is it?
 
Last edited:
See I am working on a project to build a laptop, so I need a panel 19" or under. That is the problem, I would love a 4k display but I still doubt that their will be any 19" or under in 2013.

Do you know of a 2560x1440 or 2560x1600 display 19" or under?

I am also somewhat worried about the image retention problem the Retina Macbooks have, I assume that the acual Macbook is not causing this but it is just a bug with the lcd itself? Anyone have any comments on this? How noticeable is it?
 
<-- macbook retina owner. According to nvidia linux logs the link is over display port to the internal display (not sure what the connector is, could be DP -> LVDS). As for the image retention problem... I believe that is only select LG displays and yes that is paticular to the LCD not the mac.
 
Back
Top