Something weird I noticed with my new monitor..

itachi183

Limp Gawd
I've always used CRTs and previously 1 glossy LCD. I just switched to a larger 24" matte screen and when I look kinda close, actually only about an arms lengths away on bright colors such as all white, or so, I can see this glittery smudge... err.. it's like hard to explain, like the screens wet or something abunch of sand. lol I don't know if this is normal or not for Matte screens, but my glossy never did this (I had them running in duel to check)

It doesn't bother me too much, but I'm wondering if that's normal..

That's not screen door effect, and glossy screens have screen door effect too.

That sounds like the anti-glare coating, which glossy screens don't have.

That's not screen door effect, and glossy screens have screen door effect too.

That sounds like the anti-glare coating, which glossy screens don't have.

Yeah it looks pretty weird when you focus on it, I got the V2400W, so is this normal with matte screens? lol

The V2400W should only have a light anti-glare coating. Some monitors are actually much worse. I guess if you're used to a glossy screen, even a light anti-glare coating might seem like a fine layer of sand or dust. It's normal for matte screens.

Rating the Anti glare coating in smoothness from 1 to 10 where 1 is grainy and 10 is perfectly smooth, I'd rate the V2400W/G2400WD at about an 8. Outside of the BenQ FP241VW it's the least grainy anti-glare I've used, and the only other monitor that matches it that is a MATTE coating is the Dell 2709W I have.

I'd rate my NEC 26" at about a 7 and my Dell 2005FPW at a 4. The 23" Apple Cinema we have here at work is probably a 2, so I'd be confident in saying that the V2400W is very good to excellent in this regard, only outstripped by glossy coated screens which have other negative traits.

What negative traits? Glare is the only problem with clear coated panels.

Glare? That would be a problem with any display and a bright light shining on it.

The real issues for glossy are Reflections, dirt and fingerprints.

You don't get rid of reelections on glossy panels unless you sit in the dark. Glossy show every bit of dirt, smudges, harder to keep clean.

BTW Screen Door Effect is the incorrect term, SDE means the grid caused by the black space between pixels. Nothing to do with screen coating.

Precisely.

The bigger the monitor, the bigger the problem. More real estate to show reflections.

I also don't like looking at my ugly mug on a dark screen :)

Glare? That would be a problem with any display and a bright light shining on it.

The real issues for glossy are Reflections, dirt and fingerprints.

You don't get rid of reelections on glossy panels unless you sit in the dark. Glossy show every bit of dirt, smudges, harder to keep clean.

BTW Screen Door Effect is the incorrect term, SDE means the grid caused by the black space between pixels. Nothing to do with screen coating.

Reflection or glare, it's the same thing, and a problem with every display.
It's the only drawback to clear coat, fingerprints or dirt are just as bad on matte as glossy.

Reflection or glare, it's the same thing, and a problem with every display.
It's the only drawback to clear coat, fingerprints or dirt are just as bad on matte as glossy.

I had one of each for a couple of years. A glossy CRT next to a matte LCD. Nothing you say above is correct.

Glare and Reflections are not the same thing.

Glare is a blinding bright light that hurts the eyes. If some strong blinding light hits either panel you have a problem.

Reflections OTOH are only a problem with glossy screens. Reflections of the room around you and yourself happen all the time on glossy screens, you have to sit in the dark to stop them. They don't happen at all on matte screens. That is the point of matte screens.

Dirt and fingerprints show up much more on glossy screens. Ten times as much. I know I had the screens next to each other. I never noticed anything on the matte screen, but the CRT was smudge central. This is well known issue, it doesn't just happen to screens. People complain about glossy cased electronics showing fingerprints. It is much worse on screen where you want to read info.

CRT monitor have usually several anti-reflexion layers despite the main coating was glass. So the manufacturers did what they could to prevent reflexions.

I had one of each for a couple of years. A glossy CRT next to a matte LCD. Nothing you say above is correct.

Glare is a blinding bright light that hurts the eyes. If some strong blinding light hits either panel you have a problem.

Reflections OTOH are only a problem with glossy screens. Reflections of the room around you and yourself happen all the time on glossy screens, you have to sit in the dark to stop them. They don't happen at all on matte screens. That is the point of matte screens.

Dirt and fingerprints show up much more on glossy screens. Ten times as much. I know I had the screens next to each other. I never noticed anything on the matte screen, but the CRT was smudge central. This is well known issue, it doesn't just happen to screens. People complain about glossy cased electronics showing fingerprints. It is much worse on screen where you want to read info.

CRT monitor have usually several anti-reflexion layers despite the main coating was glass. So the manufacturers did what they could to prevent reflexions.

This is true and this was often discussed in CRT reviews as large bonus when they managed to control reflections better.

My CRT (Phillips 202p4) was not nearly as glossy as current mirror like LCDs. Every issue I had with my CRT will be much worse on the current high gloss LCDs.

You can define "glare" however you choose, but the fact remains it's still just a reflection. I'm not disputing the fact that glossy panels suffer from reflection problems, only that matte suffers the others equally or worse, and in the case of bright sources like sunlight, matte can be worse. Making the only advantage of matte it's intended purpose, anti-glare.

Matte panels are no more oil or dirt resistant than glossy, and can be harder to clean since the oil gets absorbed by the matte finish. In any case, if you are constantly having to clean your LCD, glossy versus matte should be the least of your worries.

I believe you have been making false statments in other threads claiming matte panels are just as clear as glossy as well, when that statement defies the physics involved. Maybe your vision is just blurry so you don't notice the dirt or diffused light of the matte screen.

You can define "glare" however you choose, but the fact remains it's still just a reflection. I'm not disputing the fact that glossy panels suffer from reflection problems, only that matte suffers the others equally or worse, and in the case of bright sources like sunlight, matte can be worse. Making the only advantage of matte it's intended purpose, anti-glare.

Matte panels are no more oil or dirt resistant than glossy, and can be harder to clean since the oil gets absorbed by the matte finish. In any case, if you are constantly having to clean your LCD, glossy versus matte should be the least of your worries.

I believe you have been making false statments in other threads claiming matte panels are just as clear as glossy as well, when that statement defies the physics involved. Maybe your vision is just blurry so you don't notice the dirt or diffused light of the matte screen.

It is not my definition. I describe what glare actually is and it is not reflections. I indicated glare (like sunlight) affects both panel types.

Reflections are a separate issue and are unique to glossy panels.

I have been using monitors of all types for over 25 years. Glossy is a dirt magnifier and it is a simple fact.Trying to deny it won't make it go away. I think most people know I am not making a false statement here if they have owned anything glossy.

Back