someone please help me fix my sig

Status
Not open for further replies.
Easy answer: links aren't parsed in sigs. Keeps the forum relatively clutter free and fast (same reason why we only have titles and no avatars).
 
Thanks for reading thr rules vwhen you registered. Maybe you missed this one....

(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.
 
MajorDomo said:
Thanks for reading thr rules vwhen you registered. Maybe you missed this one....

(22) No active links, graphics, cussing or advertising allowed in the SIGNATURE. Sig line is limited to 10 lines total as viewed @ 800 x 600 resolution or no more that 15 words per line.


I still think thats alot, 5 would be cleaner.
 
I think this is answered but I still find it funny that if you browse the forums you will find people who have code showing where they try and add a link to thier sig.
Much like this guys. Occasionally you will see some [http://... stuff in there, SOMEONE is not reading the forum rules.
 
ninethreeeleven said:
I think this is answered but I still find it funny that if you browse the forums you will find people who have code showing where they try and add a link to thier sig.
Much like this guys. Occasionally you will see some [http://... stuff in there, SOMEONE is not reading the forum rules.
or maybe they just want you to see the link...

But already off-topic, sorry.
 
This thread is still open? MD must be asleep at the wheel ;) postcount ++, but I will add some on-topic comments

Main reasons why we have sig limitations
- Large sigs take up quite a bit of space on 800x600 screens, and that means lot of scrolling for forum surfers on smaller monitors. It may look fine on a 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 monitor, but may take up half of an 800x600 monitor :eek:
- Graphics in sigs increase page load times. It's not uncommon for one member to have four or more posts in one page of 20 posts in a thread, and it would hurt performance noticably if all of that had to be pulled own and rendered for each post. It's bad enough when Kyle gets a flood of e-mails because the database or ad server is having a slow day, adding images to sigs introduces another link in the chain.
- Last, but most importantly, images/links/etc in sigs, like avatars, take away from Kyle's desired "clean" look. Don't look for any changes to the sig rules for this reason.
 
Thread is still open since posts have been topic related. The real reason that the signatures are limited to 10 lines is a member names Pyro who was one of the first to reach the status of [H]ardness Supreme way back in 2000. He did so mainly by spamming the old Cyrix forum to death......his sig was an ASCII pictograph of a devil with a pitchfork which was around 80 lines or so. Active graphics are an open invitation to code manipulation and are annoying to boot. Active links are an uncontrollable source of mischief of biblical proportions........and yes, they even slow load times ;)
 
Can I just say, on-topic, that the clean look works in the [H]ard's favour. I see so many other forums the allow avatars and pics in the sig, and it looks so fugly... I can hardly see what the people are posting, if at all. That's why the rules are like they are. And I, for one, like it this way.

Oh yeah, less strain on the servers too... right.
 
Many people may be unaware of this above rule and try to adds links/images to their sig..... but some of us post a link in our signature for particular reasons... Some have links to the FAQs in the subforum they spend most of their time... Some have links to funny threads... Or some, like me, have a link that they want to share.... It's not active, nor did I intend it be be... but all it takes is a copy/cut, paste and you'll see whatever that person wanted you to see....


Keep on Folding!! For the [H]orde!!

 
I agree with 4keatimj, Hardforums has such a clean look and very easy to read. Many forums get so cluttered with avatars and large sigs...thanks for the clean looking forum guys.
 
This is the only forum where I don't turn viewing sigs off. Many ppl here put useful information in their sigs such as their system stats, I think it would be cool if everyone did. 1. It's helpful to know what hardware people are running when the they have problems, 2. I also find it interesting to see what other computers people have.

And you don't need alot of lines to convey such information
 
Menelmarar said:
This is the only forum where I don't turn viewing sigs off. Many ppl here put useful information in their sigs such as their system stats, I think it would be cool if everyone did. 1. It's helpful to know what hardware people are running when the they have problems, 2. I also find it interesting to see what other computers people have.

And you don't need alot of lines to convey such information
Well...

I kinda like Major's "Frodo failed, Bush has the ring.." sig...

But to each its own..
 
DarkCyber said:
I agree with 4keatimj, Hardforums has such a clean look and very easy to read. Many forums get so cluttered with avatars and large sigs...thanks for the clean looking forum guys.
sorry for the bump, but i have a suggestion here, even if it adds to the code size just a wee bit. decrease the sig font size by 2pts? that way those sigs that are pushing the limit of the rules are still easily discernable from the posts :D
 
(cf)Eclipse said:
sorry for the bump, but i have a suggestion here, even if it adds to the code size just a wee bit. decrease the sig font size by 2pts? that way those sigs that are pushing the limit of the rules are still easily discernable from the posts :D
I agree. Some sigs are really distracting...
 
MajorDomo said:
This suggestion has reached Kyle and is under consideration. :cool:
Our petitions have reached his Highness High King Kyle...!? :p

Thanks for the interest guys.
 
chinoquezada said:
Our petitions have reached his Highness High King Kyle...!? :p

Thanks for the interest guys.
I too would love to see small sig text, personally, i think it makes the look a bit cleaner. I need to rewrite my sig soon, loose the rigs, havent decided about the I Surived the great forum upgrade of 2k4!
 
Rombus said:
I too would love to see small sig text, personally, i think it makes the look a bit cleaner.

OFT. On all of the forums I regular, it is text-only sigs. On all of them, excluding here, I have the font size lower. It makes the sig easier to seperate from the post... and it makes it stand out if you want to read it, or easier to scroll past if you dont ;)
 
I really like the clean look of the forum as it is.

Having a image for an avatar or sig slows down load times and makes it much more frustrating for modem users.

I had a large sig until earlier today. Changed primary systems and didn't feel like I needed to re-a-firm my e-penis any longer. :p

From a computer technician viewpoint, and as a moderator on DFI-Street, system sigs only serve as a partial troubleshooting tool if they are requesting support for any issues they are experiencing. Once the issues have been resolved, however, there would be no need for the user to display their system specs in the sig.

Even if sig links to other sites were allowed, that could open up another whole can o' security worms for which Kyle, and the [H]ard crew, don't really want to spend the time solving, much less dealing with in the first place.

Just my humble 2 cents.
 
DougLite said:
This thread is still open? MD must be asleep at the wheel ;) postcount ++, but I will add some on-topic comments

Main reasons why we have sig limitations
- Large sigs take up quite a bit of space on 800x600 screens, and that means lot of scrolling for forum surfers on smaller monitors. It may look fine on a 1280x1024 or 1600x1200 monitor, but may take up half of an 800x600 monitor :eek:
- Graphics in sigs increase page load times. It's not uncommon for one member to have four or more posts in one page of 20 posts in a thread, and it would hurt performance noticably if all of that had to be pulled own and rendered for each post. It's bad enough when Kyle gets a flood of e-mails because the database or ad server is having a slow day, adding images to sigs introduces another link in the chain.
- Last, but most importantly, images/links/etc in sigs, like avatars, take away from Kyle's desired "clean" look. Don't look for any changes to the sig rules for this reason.
funny that in a thread discussing sig rules that a mod should have an 11 line sig. Not sure if the same rules even apply, but A+ for irony :D

EDIT: I suppose even more ironic is glancing down at your own sig after making a post, only to discover 11 lines.
 
bubba8 said:
THESUPERRAT.jpg

besides which I already know my IP, OS and Browser :p
 
bubba8 said:

That has to be the lamest sig ever. It may scare people over at the AOL under 14 chatroom forums, but I doubt you'll get many people at the [H] pulling the power cable from their computers and running in fear.

Plus there's a typo in it. YOU'RE firewall hides your IP? :p


And yes, the smaller sig text is needed. When I'm browsing a thread I don't like scrolling through all these big sigs:

450 AMD K6-III
150W Generic PSU
TNT 16MB Video Card
'73 Gremlin
Herpies
Cholera

"OMFG your sig iz t3h k00l!" - Jack Mehoff
"Big sigz make you t3h l33t3st" - Joe Schmoe


I think there should be less emphasis on the sigs. Yes they're funny sometimes, and yes they can be helpful if they have their comp in their sig, but it would look neater if the text was smaller.

I do give Kyle MAJOR credit for having one of the neatest forums on the net. I hate other forums where everyone has some stupid ass pic for an avatar and a sig. It makes parsing the thread a PITA.

/rant

Smaller sig text please. :p
 
yeah i agree with everything said here but who has their res at 800x600 all my comps are at 1024x768 or larger
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top