• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

Someone help me overclock please...

Lyquist

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 21, 2004
Messages
3,368
I just ordered the following from Newegg...

E6300
Gigabyte DS3 Motherboard
Gigabyte 1600XT Heat Pipe Video Card
2GB Patriot DDR2 667 Memory
Antec Sonata Case
NEC DVD Burner

I just need to know how exactly I will overclock this. What speed should I shoot for? Will 667 memory limit me any? I haven't owned an Intel system in a long time and currently have a socket A system, so I'm expecting a pretty big performance bump from what I have now. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I am totally new to this. I've had the same computer for several years and plan on selling this old socket A machine. Thanks in advance for your help.

Lyquist
 
i answered on your other thread. there should be a guide here or at xs if you have never overclocked. you have the default cpu/mb/ram for good overclocking of the 2mb l2 conroes. set your memory to 1/1 or a little bit lower (to start) and spd timings/ vdimm, then start upping your fsb, adding a bit of vcore here and there. test for stability along the way.
good luck again.





#1 retail 6600
http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1075792
 
Leave the Patriot DDR2 Memory at 4:5 at first - it's a really good overclocker.

I have that memory in my C2DE6600, and I run 334x9 FSB at 4:5 at 1.9V (+.1 VDIMM) which is 862.5Mhz

Here's what I recommend for a first OC - nothing to high.

-Go into the BIOS - hit Cntrl+F1

-Go to the M.I.B. located near the bottom.

-Set your FSB 345Mhz. I think that will give you 2415Mhz (if the multi is 7X on the E6300)
-PCI-e frequency to 100Mhz (should be locked to that when overlocking)
-Scroll down, change your first 4 RAM timings to 5-5-5-15, add +.1VDIMM, you'll be at 1.9V so if you want better timings you may need to do +.2V I'm not sure, I never tested.

Save exit and reboot

You'll be at:
-E6300 1.86Ghz @ 2.415Ghz
-667Mhz DDR2 RAM @ 862Mhz

Run a stress test program like Orthos and have Core Temp loaded to make sure your temps don't get to high.

Once you hit like 380+ FSB or so, change RAM timings to 1:1
 
I think he should just go to 1:1 (BTW, it called 2:1 with the DS3 mobo) right away, why have 2 possible problems when he's trying to find the limit on his CPU.

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=110460 <-- great info

Go in to BIOS, hit Ctrl + F1
set ram ratio to 2:1
set MCH, DIMM & FSB to +.1v
set ram to 5-5-5-15
set CPU voltage to 1.38
everything else can be left at auto/normal

then set FSB to 333 and boot up. You should be at a smooth 2.33Ghz

Download SetFSB.exe, its a program for setting your FSB.

Down & run Orthos, its a program for stability testing (it runs Prime95).
Set Orthos to run Large TTF tests.

While Orthos is running try raising your FSB using SetFSB (1Mhz at a time every few minutes). If you get an error (Orthos stops), you can either reboot and go in to BIOS to try raising your CPU voltage a little bit, or you can back down the FSB a little bit find a stable spot.

And thats about it, once you find a stable spot set it as the FSB in the BIOS and then run Orthos for about 8hours. If it runs Large TTF for 8 hours you should be fine for anything.

BTW, you could boot at 320FSB with your ram ratio at 2.5:1 (= DDR2 800 speed) to make sure the ram runs at DDR2 800, and if its stable there you could just go for the 400FSB mark with the ram ratio at 2:1 (DDR2 800 also)
 
I'll try some of these suggestions once my package gets here. I just hope that everything works for me:) Does anyone else have the DS3 and E6300 combo???

Lyquist
 
tons look at the conroe overclock thread good board.

chrisf has it exactly right.

notice you didnt get a heatsink, acually you can do quite well with the stock one but get some artic sliver 5 and remove the stock goop/pad and use AS5. Look at Artic sliver web site for installion instructions and dont think, just do exactly as they say.

also google "heatsink lapping" for $0.89 pane of glass ( if you have a large photo in glass frame you can borrow the glass from it.) and couple sheets 600 and 1200 grit wet and dry sandpaper you cant beat the cost/benifits .

excuse me if you already know this.
 
I already have a little bit of artic silver left over from my socket a days:) Which are about to be behind me!!!! I lapped an old celeron 366 once, so I'm familiar with the concept. I'll be happy even if I can't overclock at all, because I know that the E6300 should absolutely kill what I'm currently running.

Lyquist
 
Lyquist said:
I'll try some of these suggestions once my package gets here. I just hope that everything works for me:) Does anyone else have the DS3 and E6300 combo???

Lyquist

Im using the same mobo / proc too.mate.

but im running 512mb x 2 Kingston Value Ram.

Im so desperate to OC my proc. but i really know nuts of OC.
So good if i can get a step by step procedure from all seniors here.

Hopefully to learn something here. :)
 
haobeck said:
Im using the same mobo / proc too.mate.

but im running 512mb x 2 Kingston Value Ram.

Im so desperate to OC my proc. but i really know nuts of OC.
So good if i can get a step by step procedure from all seniors here.

Hopefully to learn something here. :)
A lot of it is trial and error as well as getting feedback from other users with the same motherboard. A guy over at XtremeSystems helped me get my RAM timings set up so I could get a decent overclock on my E6400. All that's holding me back now is my cheap value RAM and stock HSF.
 
Back
Top