Someone go slap Lenovo in the face please

Andyk5

[H]ard|Gawd
So they release the darn Haswel Laptops.
Come on Lenovo, we like your products, we don't mind paying for them, we don't even mind getting our hands on newest fastest stuff 3-6 months after every manufacturer does but stop friggin letting things age a year before starting to release them. Give us the Haswel Helix!!.

I feel like the chinese manufacturer behind Lenovo is so cheap that they wait almost .5 to .7 generations on every new device just so they can lower manufacturing costs and increase profits, without effecting the retail and jeopardizing sales... at $1800 for the Helix, I think there is enough profit to be made even with the new CPU's, come on Lenovo, stop being insanely cheap and build and release a solid number of the laptops. Calling themselves one of the worlds biggest and then whining like a little girl that they have no supplies to build enough devices for the demand....

Edit: As a matte of fact, I am gonna post this on Lenovo official forums also.

Buy up all the Ivy Bridge models to get them out of the supply channel if you want faster release of Haswell products. Once they release Haswell parts, the Ivy Bridge models become virtually unsellable at retail. If you've gotta have Haswell right now, go with another manufacturer. There are some great devices with Haswell out right now to choose from.

If you're annoyed with Lenovo, punish them by buying a competitor's product instead. Personally I'm a little annoyed that they haven't released a T-series Haswell machine yet, but I consider that their problem, not mine. They're the ones who waited too long to get my money.

Unfortunately we are unlikely to cause them to change their policies regarding this. It would take a fairly sizable boycott, something VERY hard to pull off today.

Last edited:
Buy up all the Ivy Bridge models to get them out of the supply channel if you want faster release of Haswell products. Once they release Haswell parts, the Ivy Bridge models become virtually unsellable at retail. If you've gotta have Haswell right now, go with another manufacturer. There are some great devices with Haswell out right now to choose from.

The reason why they are stuck with all the Ivy Bridge stuff is because they got in to Ivy bridge market 6 months after it got released, same with Sandy Bridge. Since ThinkPad brand changed from IBM to Lenovo and Lenovo changed to china, it has not released a proper new device with the newest silicon on time. They always wait for one reason or another. If it is not the old stock, it is lack of parts, or factory delays or shipping issues.
You don't believe me? Thinkpad tablet 2 which was supposed to be released with Win8 , which was going to use the Atom Z2760, which was going to be about 4-6 months old by the time of Win8 release, was delayed 3 extra months On top of that, my thinkpad tablet 2 was 1 extra month and my Bluetooth thinkpad keyboard and case were delayed for 2 months, for the frigging CHINESE NEW YEAR!!!!!. Can you believe that crap? When I called for my device that was the reason they gave me? Let alone the tablet or the keyboard but how can you be out of stock for a leather case for a product that you released and delayed 6 months?

If Dell, HP, Samsung released something that did what Thinkpad tablet did or What Helix is, then I would buy it. I tried Ativ700, Ativ500 and Surface Pro. Although they were great, high quality devices, I do prefer the thinkpad brand, I always have. Now if we could actually buy the darn things, it would be better.

Lenovo forum mods are too dim to understand the issue here. They have just merged my post to a thread that discusses the options on Haswell+Helix. I am talking about the crappy release service that Lenovo offers with their new products, they go, oh this post contains the word Helix and Haswel, let me put it under a thread that is already talking about haswel and helix.

ThinkPad tablet 2 is great... just needs the new atom chip to give a little more CPU/GPU power to be a real alternative to the iPad.

The current atom just bogs down too much

Can someone comment on this Lenovo Ideapad, it seems like a good deal right now...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834311063

Wow, that is a good price for that device. I have a similar device, the Samsung Ativ 500. The Ideapad is better built and lighter, but the 500 has a Wacom pen digitizer which I use a lot. Of course the Z2760 Atom isn't that great of a performer and it can chug here and there but you should have a problem with basic desktop apps like Office or most of the Modern apps, but anything that requires any amount of GPU or CPU power is out of the question. But the battery life is terrific for such thin and light x86 devices.

I have never used a Win 8 tablet, or know what benefit a Wacom pen would have, other than writing notes etc. Am I going to be unable to right-click with this tablet (w/o a keyboard or mouse)? I guess it's a total newb question, but better ask than not. Also, I'm assuming I could use any bluetooth keyboard or mouse I wanted to, is that right? Thanks

I have never used a Win 8 tablet, or know what benefit a Wacom pen would have, other than writing notes etc. Am I going to be unable to right-click with this tablet (w/o a keyboard or mouse)? I guess it's a total newb question, but better ask than not. Also, I'm assuming I could use any bluetooth keyboard or mouse I wanted to, is that right? Thanks

Right clicking is accomplished with a press and hold with touch. On a tablet this size using the desktop with touch should work ok, not a well as the Modern UI but plenty of desktop should be useable when you the hang of it. And yes you can use Bluetooth mice and keyboards.

The Samsung you mentioned looks nice, I like the features the pen has. Are there others similar to the Ativ 500?

I have the Thinkpad Tablet 2, which is the same device only built using higher quality components, 2 more hours of battery life, a wacom digitizer and a pen. Those tablets are useless without a pen in my opinion. You might as well get an ipad if you are looking for a touch interface tablet.

The fixed USB3 chipsets just started shipping 3 weeks ago. There's a bigger launch of more Haswell processors coming in September, which may be when Lenovo launches its models.

The Ideapads y410p/y510p both uses Quad Core Haswell so what you talking about

And some of us see those as toys. The build quality on the IdeaPad line is lacking and I literally find it insulting that most laptop manufacturers have taken a step back and gone to offer HDMI+VGA outputs. VGA? VGA?! F U. Might as well give me an S-video output for my TV, because I'm just as likely to use that as I am VGA. Give me dual digital monitor output (either via DP or DP+HDMI or 2xHDMI or HDMI+DVI... or even via docking station connector) or you get no sale. I dumped VGA a long time ago and that's not gonna change. And no, I won't always use dual digital monitor outputs when I use the thing, but it would be used at a desk some of the time, and I'm not willing to compromise on video quality. At high resolutions, VGA connections blur your picture, period.

I would love to get a glimpse of this Fall's (proper) T-series lineup, as I'm in the market to get a new ThinkPad. Can't find any solid info at any of the notebook-centric sites, though.

I say slap them for how bad they throttle their laptops when on battery...
Maybe it's just because I have an older Lenovo laptop model, but the downloadable power management utility from Lenovo adds many additional profiles to the more power options screen.

Maybe it's just because I have an older Lenovo laptop model, but the downloadable power management utility from Lenovo adds many additional profiles to the more power options screen.

I have the Y510p haswell sli model and when the CPU even gets slightly under load it drops to 800mhz single thread. Shuts off multi thread and all.. This is with all setting set to high performance and minimum CPU set to 95%... Can't even compile larger programs without the computer freezing....

ITT: First World Problems.

Seriously are you really complaining about not getting the newest latest and greatest?

There will be something new to complain about soon my friends!!

Even under IBM, Thinkpads were usually not the first to get the latest platform changes.

The battery falls out of my work issued T420 if I'm not really careful with it. All it takes is a slight bump to unhook the latch, and then all I have to do is tilt the laptop battery down and the battery falls out. I am not a fan of Lenovo.

If you are looking at laptops like the Helix, have you considered the Sony Vaio Duo 13? It has a digitizer, Haswell, super long battery life, tablet mode, etc

Well, I live in the first world, so, yes.

Seriously are you really complaining about not getting the newest latest and greatest?

The forums to discuss world peace and the evil Monsanto driving poor third world farmers to suicide is down the street, just to your left, not here in the [H] domain.

The forums to discuss world peace and the evil Monsanto driving poor third world farmers to suicide is down the street, just to your left, not here in the [H] domain.

Oh, I thought [H] was to discuss new hardware.

Not to discuss the rants and raves of someone who is whiny about a company not wanting to switch platforms as soon as something shiny new it out.

My bad, bro.

Oh, I thought [H] was to discuss new hardware.

Not to discuss the rants and raves of someone who is whiny about a company not wanting to switch platforms as soon as something shiny new it out.

My bad, bro.

Dude if you don't want to read the post go read something else, nobody is forcing you to read this thread or contribute to it.

I really like Lenovo's business-grade ThinkPad series laptops, but I once tried to RMA a $500 netbook and they wanted to charge $1000 for replacing the motherboard. I said no, and then went to buy the motherboard for $50 on eBay. Laptop is working great now.

You certainly don't have to buy their monitor. For someone who wants to throw two things up on a monitor but doesn't have the room for dual monitors, it would be fine.

That being said, I'm most unhappy about the drop in RAM capability on the X240 series. It feels like a major step down.

The battery falls out of my work issued T420 if I'm not really careful with it. All it takes is a slight bump to unhook the latch, and then all I have to do is tilt the laptop battery down and the battery falls out. I am not a fan of Lenovo.

Get it fixed then, cause that is not right....

I like the T430s. I7+512SSD, 12gig Ram,1080p+ extended battery. Almost workstation class power, but half the size, 14 hours of battery life. I can take it with me to the cafeteria at work and do my design sipping on a cold ice tea and enjoying the view..... I could make use of that monitor as well actually, I design electronic components and it is the non game version of a side scroller basically. You really need to zoom out to see the top down design of a modulator. I am currently spreading it over 2 screens but if my boss said, here use this Lenovo monitor, I would happily take it and make perfect use of it on a daily basis.

A slew of Haswell based Lenovos were announced today including the W540, which is what I've been anticipating. 2880 x 1620 display, yes please.

Get out. Useless post part of a larger trend on this forum where anytime anyone complains about anything some self-satisfied self-described pedagogue feels the burning need to bring up "first world problems". We live in the first world. You trying to minimize our issues in the global context is completely irrelevant and off topic. Up to me and the phrase would be bannable on these forums.

Get out. Useless post part of a larger trend on this forum where anytime anyone complains about anything some self-satisfied self-described pedagogue feels the burning need to bring up "first world problems". We live in the first world. You trying to minimize our issues in the global context is completely irrelevant and off topic. Up to me and the phrase would be bannable on these forums.

Take a walk outside, you seem stressed. Lenovo just announced Haswell refreshers. There's very little point to having this thread up anymore, unless it's for you to stand on your self-erected pedestal of "1st world problems" It's your party and you can cry if you want to, yes?

Back