Some useful Windows 8 utilities/tweaks

No one interested in these? There's a couple of apps that have really enhanced my Win8 experience-tinywindowborders makes the size of metro borders much more customizeable, and closethreshold significantly improves the drag down to close motion for metro apps with a mouse. Startscreenpinner also allows you to pin just about anything to the start screen (including folders and files). Highly recommended.

Hmm.. it seems like the latest round of updates allows you to right-click anything in file explorer and pin things to the start screen. I don't have any 3rd party customization apps on my Windows 8 computer yet (haven't had time to mess around with it), but was just right-clicking on my recycle bin to empty it and found out that there's now a pin to start option.

Seems like Microsoft is still working on improving the interface.

Hmm.. it seems like the latest round of updates allows you to right-click anything in file explorer and pin things to the start screen. I don't have any 3rd party customization apps on my Windows 8 computer yet (haven't had time to mess around with it), but was just right-clicking on my recycle bin to empty it and found out that there's now a pin to start option.

Seems like Microsoft is still working on improving the interface.

It would be nice if you could pin individual documents to the Start Screen, is there anyway to do that you know of?

EDIT: Duh, never mind, Start Screen Pinner does that, thanks for the link m3ta1head!

I just installed windows 8, so thanks for these!
The windows border thing will be nice. The current borders are pretty ugly..

Is there a program that will let me round the corners of the tiles to look more Apple-like?

Still looking for a tweak so that backspace and the back button on my mouse both exit whatever metro screen or app you just opened, so counterintuitive considering everything else in windows has functions that respond to backspace -- explorer, internet explorer, etc.

Sadly I think they may have left this function as app-specific and optional rather than global, because for example the backspace button works in the Newegg app. Ugh. They need to throw PC users a few bones in usability if they expect people to embrace Metro.

Give them time and let them know what your complaints are. The more complaints they receive (short of removing/disabling Metro), the more likely they'll change it to make it more usable.

Back