• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some questions regarding home NAS

overst33r

n00b
Joined
Jul 28, 2011
Messages
1
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and would like to ask some questions in my head after reading the forum in search for my home file server answers.

I would like to build rackmount file server for my home file usage, problem is, the NORCO case is very long in depth, is there any recommendation for casing that is of shorter depth? I only need about 10TB-ish of free space, mainly for my music, video and ISO, these I hope they do not need a high read/write setup, with 1-2 hotspares.

I also need another rackmount case for my gaming PC, i decided to put them all into a 1/2 height rack to tidy up my room. I also need a recommendation on a casing for this =D

Looking at some of the rackmount case for DIY NAS, most of them only allow 1 PSU, how do you all cope with this limitation, in case of a PSU failure? What are the consequences if the PSU fails in your raid array?

I need some advice from the expert in this forum XD
 
Hi guys, I'm new to this forum and would like to ask some questions in my head after reading the forum in search for my home file server answers.
Welcome to the [H]Forums! Hope you enjoy your stay here!
I would like to build rackmount file server for my home file usage, problem is, the NORCO case is very long in depth, is there any recommendation for casing that is of shorter depth? I only need about 10TB-ish of free space, mainly for my music, video and ISO, these I hope they do not need a high read/write setup, with 1-2 hotspares.

I also need another rackmount case for my gaming PC, i decided to put them all into a 1/2 height rack to tidy up my room. I also need a recommendation on a casing for this =D
Check out these cases:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811147154
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811219030
Looking at some of the rackmount case for DIY NAS, most of them only allow 1 PSU, how do you all cope with this limitation, in case of a PSU failure? What are the consequences if the PSU fails in your raid array?
Making sure one has a backup of the more important data is one way to cope with a limitation. Then again if you chose the PSU correctly in the first place, you're gonna have a lower chance of PSU failure. Not to mention, having a UPS for just the server is another step in keeping the server safe.

In the case of PSU failure, it depends on how it dies and what kind of RAID array (if any) that you're running. The worst case scenario is that the PSU kills your entire server when it dies. Another scenario is that only the data on the hard drives are corrupted due to an improper shutdown of the PC i.e the PSU dying. And another scenario is if the PSU dies, no harm done to the rest of the PC.
 
Back
Top