Some Photos I took

Bennyb

2[H]4U
So, I used to be pretty active on this forum... but after they removed a bunch of sub forums, I decided to move on.

Well anyway, I see a ton of threads here about buying cameras, and what gear should I get to do *_____*... not too many threads with photos in them though :p

Anyway, here is what I do:
(I'm a student/ photo editor for a student newspaper)

So, I shoot a D300, with either the 17-50mm f/2.8 Tamron, or the 70-200mm f/2.8 VR Nikon. Don't mind the weird comments.

So, i've been accumulating quite a few photos in the last few weeks... might be due to the 8fps and my itchy shutter finger.

Anywho, I was going to post these a while back, but my laptop got borked and I had no way to post this. So this is really just a light smattering of what i've done since I got the new cam.

So this was one of my first attempts at star photography. didn't have a tripod so I used my cellphone and a stone pillar. I kinda liked this one:
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_Stars.jpg

I'm like obsessed with the sunset views over the lake here in Madison. I probably have over 500 shots of like 50 different sunsets from the past 3 years, but I really liked how this turned out. The metering on this camera is so amazing. It's almost taking some of the fun out of guessing exposures with my d50 :p :
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_Sunset.jpg

This dude was also taking a photo, but I really liked the shadow cast with the sunset in the background. Not sure if I really like the photo yet, but it's growing on me:
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_Squatter.jpg

Rainy night, had my camera with me after a long night after taking quite a few hits of... well... anyway. Here was my favorite from the walk:
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_RainyNight.jpg

This is the dress rehearsal for the end of the semester dance performance. The lights were constantly changing and you can't use a meter because they're moving so fast... these things are probably the hardest photography i've had to do. Anyway I really like the way this one was framed:
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_Dancers.jpg

ISO 3200 for most of the show:
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_Dancers2.jpg

Wasn't sure if any of these were actually going to turn out because I had gotten what I needed from this performance and was just looking through what I had before the next crew came on, all of the sudden everything goes black but the backdrop... I kinda like how this one turned out:
http://x024.uploaderx.net/x/D300_Dancers3.jpg

Anyway, i think this photo shows the true sharpness of the 70-200VR pretty well. Mind you this is at f/3.5:

http://x023.uploaderx.net/x/D300_SpringerClose.jpg

I love the one with the red background! I really like silhouette shots.

Where did you get the pic of Jerry?

Nice shots. I have yet to do any low light stuff with my D300 because, work has been getting in the way. Orion came out nicely in the first shot.

Very nice! I like your dancers. Good idea going to the rehearsal. When I would shoot my daughter's recital I often wish I could have attended the rehearsal. The D300 really performs well at high ISO. Must be nice to get 1/250" in the dark!

Images aren't loading here, but I guess everyone else can see them

Wouldn't load for me either. I had to check the properties and insert the links in the address bar

Hmmm, strange. Well, i removed the img tags so you can click on them if you'd like to see them.

Nice shots of the dance performance. :)

BTW have you messed around with lens AF fine tuning? It's a bit of trial and error in real world shooting but I tuned my lenses and got even sharper results. Try messing with 14bit also, you get a bit better shadow detail unless you really do need 8fps.

Nice shots. I have yet to do any low light stuff with my D300 because, work has been getting in the way. Orion came out nicely in the first shot.

I'm going to try and retake that one, this time with a tripod :)

I love the one with the red background! I really like silhouette shots.

Where did you get the pic of Jerry?

I work for a student newspaper, we had a personal interview with him before he gave a talk here, so i got to meet him and take a ton of photos during the interview.

Very nice! I like your dancers. Good idea going to the rehearsal. When I would shoot my daughter's recital I often wish I could have attended the rehearsal. The D300 really performs well at high ISO. Must be nice to get 1/250" in the dark!

Well, i've been TRYING to go to these dance performances for the past year, and every time I went they would tell me that no photography was allowed during the actual performance, and of course the editors of my paper wouldn't call ahead and ask first. This year I actually knew someone in the performance so I was able to get into the dress rehearsal.

Nice shots of the dance performance. :)

BTW have you messed around with lens AF fine tuning? It's a bit of trial and error in real world shooting but I tuned my lenses and got even sharper results. Try messing with 14bit also, you get a bit better shadow detail unless you really do need 8fps.

Nah, I haven't done any fine tuning. I don't really know much about it. I'm a little weary of changing those types of options on my camera, I usually keep them at mostly default settings just because I have no idea what I might be shooting the next day, and i've found that when I'll change something like that, i'll forget about it and then go to shoot someone the next day and realize halfway through that something is wrong.

Thanks for all the replies! Seems like the red background dancer shot is a hit here

Nah, I haven't done any fine tuning. I don't really know much about it. I'm a little weary of changing those types of options on my camera, I usually keep them at mostly default settings just because I have no idea what I might be shooting the next day, and i've found that when I'll change something like that, i'll forget about it and then go to shoot someone the next day and realize halfway through that something is wrong.

It's a feature to deal with off focus (either front or back focus). It's a permanent setting. Once you figure it out, you leave it there. If it's not your camera though and you use multiple lenses which aren't yours, it won't make sense to do.

It's a great feature to maximize your sharpness. Of course that is one of the reasons why the better lenses are better. If you don't calibrate and figure them out, you're not maximizing your investment IMO.

It's a feature to deal with off focus (either front or back focus). It's a permanent setting. Once you figure it out, you leave it there. If it's not your camera though and you use multiple lenses which aren't yours, it won't make sense to do.

It's a great feature to maximize your sharpness. Of course that is one of the reasons why the better lenses are better. If you don't calibrate and figure them out, you're not maximizing your investment IMO.

Are there any guides on how to do this? It is my camera, but I am pretty consistently changing lenses between a 17-50mm, 10-20mm, and 70-200mm... if it's not a constant value for all 3, I don't know if i'd really be interested in tinkering around with the fine tuning of the AF.

Are there any guides on how to do this? It is my camera, but I am pretty consistently changing lenses between a 17-50mm, 10-20mm, and 70-200mm... if it's not a constant value for all 3, I don't know if i'd really be interested in tinkering around with the fine tuning of the AF.

There are probably guides but I take the practical approach. I don't like the tests where you shoot small little things and pixel peep. The most important thing is when you shoot if you see a difference at various settings.

Each lens is different so you have to find the value for each. The camera remembers 12 lenses.

You take nice photos. :) It's ok if you don't want to worry about this feature. I just like to maximize my investments and it's one of the things which sets D300 apart as it's the cheapest camera with this feature. D3 and 1DMK3 being the others. I'd like my 12 megapixels, good AF, and expensive glass working at their best.

Anyway this isn't a thread about your camera but your photos. We can take this to PM.

Back