• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

Some memory and PSU advice please...

tel1jag

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Apr 29, 2002
Messages
138
Some memory and PSU advice please...

I am a total noob on overclocking...however, I am very proficient with building PCs and knowing multiple OSes, so I am hoping to learn more about overclocking...

I am considering buying the following system components...
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 2.83GHz LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor
ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro 92mm CPU Cooler
ASUS Maximus II Formula ATX Intel Motherboard
ASUS Radeon HD 4850 EAH4850 TOP/HTDI/512M Video Card
2X (8GB total)--CORSAIR XMS2 DHX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400)
CORSAIR CMPSU-520HX 520W Power Supply
3X (doing RAID 5) Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB 3.5" SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive
Antec Nine Hundred Black Computer Case
ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-2014L1T


My thought would be to try and get the CPU up to about 3Ghz (if I could get it there...again, I know very little about overclocking at the moment and historically run everything at stock speeds).


Would my Corsair PC800 memory be alright or would I need to go to 1066?

Is the PSU look ok or do I need to go higher?

I have done some forum searching and google searching on overclock, but doesn anyone support or recommend a very good noob guide?


Thank you in advance.

--Jeff
 
The memory and PSU are both very good and will be sufficient for your purposes. However, I recommend you rethink that heatsink and consider something like the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 or OCZ Vendetta 2, since the Freezer 7 Pro isn't very well-suited toward overclocking quad-core CPUs.
 
I've got three of those processors that do 3.4GHz at stock voltage. Just up the FSB from 333 to 400. They are very overclocking friendly processors.
 
Thanks guys. Anything you suggest as a noob guide to OC? I have read through a few things on the board, but just wanted to see if there's anything else you suggest.

Thank you,

--Jeff
 
the cpu should be good for at least 3400 - 3600. which means you will need faster ram, something like

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231145

and maybe a psu with a little more headroom


http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817128008

or this

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817256045

700 watts, modular, siverstone, 80 plus cert, under $100, unbeatable.

A better PSU is not at all necessary. The HX520 is plenty powerful for this PC. The RAM suggestion is solid though.
Thanks guys. Anything you suggest as a noob guide to OC? I have read through a few things on the board, but just wanted to see if there's anything else you suggest.

Thank you,

--Jeff

There's an overclocking guide stickied in this section. If you haven't read it already, it should have pretty much all the information you'll need on that front.
 
A better PSU is not at all necessary. The HX520 is plenty powerful for this PC. The RAM suggestion is solid though.


.


both power supplies were less expensive (or equal) more powerful units. the 520 may be good for now, but why should he buy a new psu every year or 2 if he doesnt have to?
 
OP I suggest you list your components in the power supply section and ask for input. Provide a budget on what you are willing to spend on a supply. The suggested silverstone does look like a good deal. I like Corsair and think the 550 is plenty if you will only run one video card but that Silverstone apears to be on sale and might be a good buy,

I agree about the memory but that is because I OC higher.

Your cpu mulitplier is 8.5

Using PC6400 800MHz memory, if your board and cpu will do it, you could run 400x8.5 = 3.4Ghz with the standard desirable 1:1 memory ratio (memory runs at 2x the FSB) and so your memory will be at stock speeds with no OC at all.

So based on your stated goals you do not need higher speed memory. HOWEVER, what normally happens is you end up with an FSB in the 350 - 370 range and if you use the 1:1 ratio your memory is underclocked and we dont want that !! :eek:

You then find you have to use a higher memory ratio, 4:3 whatever, and you quickly find your PC6400 800MHz memory will not do the resulting higher speed unless you loosen the timings (which is what typically higher speed memory sticks are anyway, speed binned memory chips where the sticks have been tested at higher speeds with looser timings. )

Witht the cheap price of DDR2 go with 1066 memory at least, it will not cost much more and allow the "odd" memory mulitplier and if it ends up a little underclocked you will still have the performace advantage of it running significantly faster than 800MHz.
 
the cpu should be good for at least 3400 - 3600. which means you will need faster ram

Why wouldn't you recommend a really good DDR2 800 stick/pair if 1066 or 1000 is just OC'd 800? Also, memory multipliers can allow 800 to hit that high without any OC but with good 800 you can get 1066 performance for a cheaper price.

With an overclocking guide, overclocking shouldn't be daunting to anybody who is starting out. The information is right in front of them so I think this will be an easy step for this individual.
 
me personally id go with a 750-850w power supply instead of the 520w.. suggest either the thermaltake tough power 750 or pc power and cooling 850/860..

those would be better choices over the long run because if you ever decide to upgrade to say a 4870 or go back to nvidia with the gtx 260/280 that 520w wont be enough.. even putting a couple extra hdd's in that system will probably put that psu under to much stress..

with the current system that you posted you will be using between 350w(stock) and 370w(overclocked) at 100% TDP. so its really your choice in the end if you to spend a little extra to have something that can be used later on when you upgrade..
 
Firstly, thank you all for your replies...I appreciate all the advice.

I was buying at the same time with a buddy (same set-ups) and he wasn't really that patient so we ordered before I saw the last post or two.

However, I did upgrade the PSU a bit before ordering and got the Corsair 620HX...hopefully that's enough.

I ended up with the PC800 memory though, so now I am a bit nervous...

I guess if I understand from the posts, this might work if I get a good 4 sticks (8GB) and can take them to 400 without difficulty, I am OK, but that there's an equal chance that this won't work and then I'll be tinkering.

I thank everyone for their patience and answers thus far and I hopefully when I get the stuff in a few days, and start getting everything together, I may be able to get some answers here (after reading the noob guide at the top of the forum).

Thank you,

Jeff.
 
Back
Top